Research Article of American Journal of Histology and Cytology
Evaluation of the Factors Associated with the Success of In Vitro Fertilization Cycles among Infertile Couples in Qassim Region, Saudi Arabia
Agharid Abdul-Aziz ALsalahi and Amal Hussain Mohamed Ali
Department of Medical Laboratories, College of Applied Medical Sciences, Qassim University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
The science gets developed and we can get fertilization process in vitro under special condition, (Wang, J, et al, 2006). Female age reflecting ovarian function, is predictor of pregnancy after in vitro fertilization (IVF). (L.L.van Loendersloot, et al, 2010), while Mediterranean diet may improve the IVF success rate among women. (Karayiannis D, et al., 2018). Thus, the aim of this study was to find out the factors that will associate with the success of IVF cycle among infertile couple in Qassim region. methods was a cross sectional study conducted at Prince Faisal Bin Mishaal fertility center in October,2019. (34) of fertility center patients willing to participate constituted the study sample. The data was collected using structured questionnaire to gather information on demographic characteristics, smoking habit, diet and supplement intake. data was analyzed in EPINFO v7 with descriptive and analytical statistics. results showing (94.12%) of successful IVF cycle. Most of females (92.9%) are under age of 40, whereas (66.7%) males were 40 or above. (9%) of total participants were smoker, (26%) had a partner who is a smoker. (65%) of the participants were neither them nor their partners a smokers. (38.24%) consume proteins (3-5) times a week, (55.88%) consume vegetable and fruits once a week, (35.29%) consume grains more than (5) times a week and (35.29%) consume dairy products (3-5) times a week. conclusion of study the pregnancy rate is higher in female who were under age of 40 but there is no significant association between age, smoking and dietary intake with the successful of IVF cycles.
Keywords: IVF, Age, Smoking, Diet, Supplement.
How to cite this article:
Agharid Abdul-Aziz ALsalahi and Amal Hussain Mohamed Ali. Evaluation of the Factors Associated with the Success of In Vitro Fertilization Cycles among Infertile Couples in Qassim Region, Saudi Arabia. American Journal of Histology and Cytology, 2020, 3:7. DOI: 10.28933/ajohc-2020-02-0205
1. Almaslami, F., Aljunid, S. M., & Ghailan, K. (2018). Demographic determinants and outcome of in vitro fertilization (IVF) services in Saudi Arabia. The Journal of international medical research, volume 46, Issue 4, April 2018, Pages 1537–1544.
2. Al-Turki, H. A. (2015). Prevalence of primary and secondary infertility from tertiary center in eastern Saudi Arabia. Middle East Fertility Society Journal, volume 20, issue 4, Dec 2018, Pages 237–240.
3. Attaman J, Toth.T, Furtado.J, Campos.H, Hauser.R, Chavarro.J. (2012). Dietary fat and semen quality among men attending a fertility clinic, Human Reproduction, Volume 27, Issue 5, May 2012, Pages 1466–1474.
4. Bordel.R, Laschke.M, Menger.M, Vollmar.B. (2006). Nicotine does not affect vascularization but inhibits growth of freely transplanted ovarian follicles by inducing granulosa cell apoptosis, Human Reproduction, Volume 21, Issue 3, March 2006, Pages 610–617.
5. Camlin.N, Jarnicki.A, Vanders.R, Walters.K, Hansbro.P, McLaughlin.E, Holt.J. (2017). Grandmaternal smoke exposure reduces female fertility in a murine model, with great-grandmaternal smoke exposure unlikely to have an effect, Human Reproduction, Volume 32, Issue 6, June 2017, Pages 1270–1281.
6. Chavarro, Jorge E. Rich-Edwards, Janet W. Rosner, Bernard A. Willett, Walter C. (2007).
Diet and Lifestyle in the Prevention of Ovulatory Disorder Infertility. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Volume 110, Issue 5, November 2007, pages 1050-1058.
7. Check JH, Chase DS, Horwath D, Yuan W, Garberi-Levito MC, Press M (2012). Oocytes from women of advanced reproductive age do not appear to have an increased risk of zona pellucida hardening. Journal of Clinical and experimental obstetrics & gynecology. Volume 39, Issue 4, January 2012, pages 440-1.
8. Dolev.Y, Kaplan.A, Rafid.S. (2011). The fertility myth: Israeli students’ knowledge regarding age-related fertility decline and late pregnancies in an era of assisted reproduction technology, Human Reproduction, Volume 26, Issue 11, November 2011, Pages 3045–3053.
9. Dougall.K, Beyene.Y, Nachtigall.R. (2013). Age shock: misperceptions of the impact of age on fertility before and after IVF in women who conceived after age 40, Human Reproduction, Volume 28, Issue 2, February 2013, Pages 350–356.
10. Gaskins AJ., Chavarro JE. (2017). Diet and fertility. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. Volume 218, Issue 4, April 2017, Pages 379-389.
11. Güvenir, H. A., Misirli, G., Dilbaz, S., Ozdegirmenci, O., Demir, B., & Dilbaz, B. (2015). Estimating the chance of success in IVF treatment using a ranking algorithm. Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, volume 53, issue 9, April 2015, Pages 911–920.
12. K A Joesbury, W R Edirisinghe, M R Phillips, J L Yovich. (1998). Evidence that male smoking affects the likelihood of a pregnancy following IVF treatment: application of the modified cumulative embryo score., Human Reproduction, Volume 13, Issue 6, Jun 1998, Pages 1506–1513.
13. Karayiannis.D, Kontogianni.M, Mendorou.C, Douka.L, Mastrominas.M, Yiannakouris.N. (2016). Association between adherence to the Mediterranean diet and semen quality parameters in male partners of couples attempting fertility, Human Reproduction Journal, Volume 32, Issue 1, 1 January 2017, Pages 215–222.
14. Karayiannis.D, Kontogianni.M, Mendorou.C, Mastrominas.M, Yiannakouris.N. (2018). Adherence to the Mediterranean diet and IVF success rate among non-obese women attempting fertility, Human Reproduction, Volume 33, Issue 3, March 2018, Pages 494–502.
15. Kovac, J. R., Khanna, A., & Lipshultz, L. I. (2015). The effects of cigarette smoking on male fertility. Postgraduate medicine, volume 127, issue 3, April 2015, Pages 338–341.
16. Lassen.T, Sobotka.T, Jensen.T, Jacobsen.R, Erb.K, Skakkebæk.N. (2012). Trends in rates of natural conceptions among Danish women born during 1960–1984, Human Reproduction, Volume 27, Issue 9, September 2012, Pages 2815–2822.
17. Lintsen.A, Jong.P, Boer.E, Burger.C, Jansen.C, Braat.D, Leeuwen.F. (2005). Effects of subfertility cause, smoking and body weight on the success rate of IVF, Human Reproduction, Volume 20, Issue 7, July 2005, Pages 1867–1875.
18. L.L. van Loendersloot, M. van Wely, J. Limpens, P.M.M. Bossuyt, S. Repping, F. van der Veen. (2010). Predictive factors in in vitro fertilization (IVF): a systematic review and meta-analysis, Human Reproduction Update, Volume 16, Issue 6, November-December 2010, Pages 577–589.
19. Ng.E, Chan.C, Yeung.W, Ho.P. (2004). Effect of age on ovarian stromal flow measured by three-dimensional ultrasound with power Doppler in Chinese women with proven fertility, Human Reproduction, Volume 19, Issue 9, September 2004, Pages 2132–2137.
20. Panth, N., Gavarkovs, A., Tamez, M., & Mattei, J. (2018). The Influence of Diet on Fertility and the Implications for Public Health Nutrition in the United States. Frontiers in public health, Volume 6, Issue 211, July 2018.
21. Sérgio R Soares & Marco A Melo (2008) Cigarette smoking and IVF, Expert Review of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Volume 3, Issue 4, January 2014, pages 555-563.
22. Sugawa.M, Okubo.H, Sasaki.S, Nakagawa.Y, Kobayashi.T, Kato.K. (2018). Lack of a meaningful association between dietary patterns and in vitro fertilization outcome among Japanese women. Reproductive medicine and biology, volume 17, Issue 4, pages 466–473.
23. Sun.H, Lin.Y, Lin.D, Zou.C, Zou.X, Fu.L, Meng.F, Qian.W. (2019). Mediterranean diet improves embryo yield in IVF: a prospective cohort study. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. Volume17, Issue 1, September 2019, page 73.
24. Wang, J, & Sauer, M. (2006). In vitro fertilization (IVF): a review of 3 decades of clinical innovation and technological advancement. Therapeutics and clinical risk management, Volume 2, Issue 4, December 2006, pages 355–364.
25. Wright.K, Trimarchi.J, Allsworth.J, Keefe.D. (2006). The effect of female tobacco smoking on IVF outcomes, Human Reproduction, Volume 21, Issue 11, Nov 2006, Pages 2930–2934.
26. Xue.L, Wang.R, He.B, Mo.W, Huang.L, Wang.S,Mao.X, Cheng.J, Huang.Y, Liu.R. (2016). Effect of sperm DNA fragmentation on clinical outcomes for Chinese couples undergoing in vitro fertilization or intracytoplasmic sperm injection. The Journal of international medical research, Volume 44, Issue 6, Dec 2016, pages 1283–1291.
27. Yu.L, Peterson.B, Inhorn.M, Boehm.J, Patrizio.P. (2016). Knowledge, attitudes, and intentions toward fertility awareness and oocyte cryopreservation among obstetrics and gynecology resident physicians, Human Reproduction, Volume 31, Issue 2, February 2016, Pages 403–411.