Research article of American Journal of Educational Research and Reviews
Teacher’s Views Regarding the Development of Students’ Cognitive Modelling Competencies and Modelling Implementation Process
Ayşe TEKİN DEDE and Süha YILMAZ
1 Dr, Dokuz Eylül University, Izmir, TURKEY
2Assoc. Prof. Dr., Dokuz Eylül University, Izmir, TURKEY
The purpose of the study is to reveal a mathematics teacher’s views regarding the development of 6th grade students’ cognitive modelling competencies and modelling implementation process. She conducted a long-term modelling sequences aiming at the competency development and was interviewed after the implementation process. Her answers were analyzed by using content analysis and the views were gathered under some themes and codes. It was seen that the views were shaped under seven themes as providing the development of each modelling competency, development of cognitive modelling competencies, factors contributing the development of cognitive modelling competencies, factors preventing the development of cognitive modelling competencies, implementation process, future implementations and factors required to be fixed in the implementation process. Some strategies supporting the development of the cognitive modelling competencies were appeared from her statements. She also indicated her general thoughts about the strengths and weaknesses of the implementation process. It is suggested for further studies to utilize the factors and strategies revealed in the study for planning modelling implementations.
Keywords: Cognitive modelling competency, mathematics teacher, modelling sequence, teacher view
How to cite this article:
Ayşe TEKİN DEDE and Süha YILMAZ. Toxicological Teacher’s Views Regarding the Development of Students’ Cognitive Modelling Competencies and Modelling Implementation Process. American Journal of Educational Research and Reviews, 2016,1:1. DOI: 10.28933/dede-ajerr-09-2016
1. Biccard, P. (2010). An investigation into the development of mathematical modelling competencies of Grade 7 learners. Unpublished Masters Dissertation, Stellenbosch University.
2. Blomhøj, M. & Højgaard Jensen, T. (2010). What’s all the Fuss about Competencies? In W. Blum, P. L. Galbraith, H. W. Henn, & M. Niss (Eds.), Modelling and Applications in Mathematics Education: The 14th ICMI Study (pp 45-56). Springer: New York.
3. Blum, W. & Leiß, D. (2007). How Do Students and Teachers Deal With Modelling Problems? In C. Haines, P. Galbraith, W. Blum & S. Khan (Eds.), Mathematical Modelling (ICTMA 12): Education, Engineering and Economics (pp. 222-231). Chichester: Hollywood.
4. Blum, W., & Borromeo Ferri, R. (2009). Mathematical Modelling: Can It Be Thought or Learned?. Journal Of Mathematical Modelling And Application, 1(1), 45-58.
5. Borromeo Ferri, R. (2006). Theoretical and Empirical Differentiations of Phases in the Modelling Process. Zentralblatt für Didaktik der Mathematik-ZDM, 38 (2), 86-95.
6. Bracke, M. & Geiger, A. (2011). Real-World Modelling in Regular Lessons: A Long-Term Experiment. . In G. Kaiser, W. Blum, R. Borromeo Ferri, & G. Stillman (Eds.), Trends in Teaching and Learning of Mathematical Modelling. International Perspectives on the Teaching and Learning of Mathematical Modelling (pp. 529-549). New York: Springer.
7. Çepni, S. (2009). Araştırma ve Proje Çalışmalarına Giriş. Trabzon.
8. Chan, C. M. E. & Foong, P. Y. (2013). A Conceptual Framework for Investigating Pupils’ Model Development during the Mathematical Modelling Process. The Mathematics Educator, 13 (1), 1-29.
9. Chan, C. M. E. (2010). Tracing Primary 6 Students’ Model Development Within the Mathematical Modelling Process. Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Applications, 1(3), 40-57.
10. Grünewald, S. (2012). Acquirement of Modelling Competencies – First Results of an Empirical Comparison of the Efectiveness of a Holistic Respectively an Atomistic Approach to the Development of (Metacognitive) Modelling Competencies of Students. 12th International Congress on Mathematical Education, 8 July-15 July 2012, COEX, Seoul, Korea.
11. Grünewald, S. (2013). The Development of Modelling Competencies by Year 9 Students: Effects of a Modelling Project. In G. A. Stillman, G. Kaiser, W. Blum, & J. P. Brown (Eds.), Teaching Mathematical Modelling: Connecting to Research and Practice. International Perspectives on the Teaching and Learning of Mathematical Modelling (pp. 185-194). New York: Springer.
12. Güler, A., Halıcıoğlu, M. B. & Taşğın, S. (2013). Sosyal Bilimlerde Nitel Araştırma Yöntemleri. Ankara: Seçkin Yayıncılık.
13. Işık, A. & Mercan, E. (2015). Ortaokul Matematik Öğretmenlerinin Model ve Modelleme Hakkındaki Görüşlerinin İncelenmesi. Kastamonu Üniversitesi Kastamonu Eğitim Dergisi, 23 (4), 1835-1850. Ji, 2012
14. Kaiser, G. & Maaß, K. (2007). Modelling in Lower Secondary Mathematics Classroom – Problems and Opportunities. In W. Blum, P. L. Galbraith, H. W. Henn, & M. Niss (Eds.), Modelling and Applications in Mathematics Education: The 14th ICMI Study (pp 99-108). Springer: New York.
15. Kaiser, G., Schwarz, B. & Tiedemann, S. (2010). Future Teachers’ Professional Knowledge on Modeling. In R. Lesh, P. L. Galbraith, C. R. Haines, & A. Hurford (Eds.), Modeling Students’ Mathematical Modeling Competencies (pp. 433-444). New York: Springer.
16. Krippendorff, K. (1980). Content Analysis: An Introduction to its Methodology. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications.
17. Maaß, K. (2005). Barriers and Opportunities fort he Integration of Modelling in Mathematics Classes: Results of an Empirical Study. Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications. 24 (2-3), 61-74.
18. Maaß, K. (2006). What are Modelling Competencies?. Zentralblatt für Didaktik der Mathematik-ZDM. 38 (2), 113-142.
19. Merriam, S. B. (2013). Nitel Araştırma Desen ve Uygulama İçin Bir Rehber. (S. Turan, Çev.) Ankara: NOBEL.
20. Miles, M. B., & Huberman, M. A. (1994). Qualitative Analysis: An Expanded Sourcebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
21. Özdemir, G. & Işık, A. (2015). Katı Cisimlerin Alan ve Hacimlerinin Matematiksel Model ve Matematiksel Modelleme Yöntemiyle Öğretimine Yönelik Öğretmen Görüşleri. Kastamonu Üniversitesi Kastamonu Eğitim Dergisi, 23 (3), 1251-1276.
22. Tekin Dede, A. & Bukova Güzel, E. (2013). Matematik Öğretmenlerinin Model Oluşturma Etkinliği Tasarım Süreçleri ve Etkinliklere Yönelik Görüşleri. Bartın Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 2, 1, 300-322.
23. Tekin, A., Hıdıroğlu, Ç. N., Kula, S., Bukova Güzel, E. & Uğurel, I. (2012). Determining the views of mathematics student teachers related to mathematical modeling. International Journal for Mathematics Teaching and Learning, 3.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.