Research article of Global journal of Economics and Business Administration
Factors Affecting Internal Auditor’s Performance in Public Universities in Kenya
Ruth Mwende Mokono and Tabitha Nasieku
Department of business administration, School of Business, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology P.O Box 62000-00200 Nairobi, Kenya.
The study focused on the factors affecting internal auditors ‘performance in public universities in Kenya. It aimed at achieving the objectives: to determine how the working environment, to assess how the challenges to the independence of internal auditors, to assess the impact of the level of technical competency affects the performance of internal auditors in public universities in Kenya. Thus this study evaluates the effect of working environment, establishes the effect of internal auditor’s independence and the effect of internal auditors competence on the performance of internal auditor in public universities in Kenya. Descriptive research design was applied, with a target population of the chief internal auditors from 31 chartered public universities in Kenya which are registered by the Higher Education ministry. A random simple sampling technique was applied o give the sample size of 31. Primary data was used for analysis. The study found out that the internal auditors working environment, internal audit independence and authority, internal auditor’s technical competence impacted on the performance of internal audit function.
The study recommended that auditors should consider complying with professional standards as the most important contributor to internal auditing performance. The management in the public universities should keep organizing seminars and workshops where the internal auditors would be trained frequently by experts either internally or externally.
Keywords: Internal auditors working environment, internal auditor independence, internal auditor competence and internal auditors’ performance.
How to cite this article:
Ruth Mwende Mokono and Tabitha Nasieku. Factors Affecting Internal Auditor’s Performance in Public Universities in Kenya. Global journal of Economics and Business Administration, 2018, 3:11. DOI: 10.28933/gjeba-2018-09-1201
1. Abu-Musa, Ahmad A. (2010) ‘Investigating adequacy of security controls in Saudi Banking sector, An empirical study’, Journal of Accounting – Business & Management, Vol. 17, No. 1, Pp.1-41.
2. Adel S. M. (2011). Internal audit effectiveness: an expansion of present methods, Managerial Auditing Journal, 16(8):89-112.
3. Adeniyi, A. A. (2004). Auditing and Investigations. Yaba College of Technology, Yaba Lagos.
4. Brown, P. R. (2013). Independent auditor judgment in the evaluation of internal audit functions. Journal of Accounting Research, 21(2) :444-455.
5. Cattrysse, J. (2014). Reflections on Corporate Governance and the Role of the Internal Auditor. Roularta Media Group.
6. Cohen, J.R., Krishnamoorthy, G. & Wright, A. (2008). Form versus substance: the implications for auditing practice and research of alternative perspectives on corporate governance, Auditing Journal , 27(2):181-98.
7. Diamond, M. J. (2002). The role of internal audit in government financial management: An international perspective. International Monetary Fund, Number. 2-94.
8. Dittenhofer, M. (2001). Internal auditing effectiveness. Journal of Accounting and Economics, Vol. 5
9. Dittenhofer, M. (2011). Internal auditing effectiveness: An expansion of present methods. Managerial Auditing Journal, 16(8): 443-450.
10. Donald K. K & Delno L. A. T (2009) Proposal and Thesis Writing, An introduction. Pauline Publications Africa. Nairobi, Kenya.
11. Eden, D, & Moriah, L. (1996). Impact of internal auditing on branch Bank Performance: A field experiment’, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Performance, 68(1), 262–71
12. Fama, E.F. and M.C. Jensen (2013), Separation of ownership and control’, Journal of Law and Economics, 26(3):301-25.
13. Gakuu, C. M., & Kidombo, H. J. (2008). Closing the chasm: Are secondary school teachers in Kenya using ICTs effectively to delivery curriculum content.
14. Hack, S. (2013). Greater expectations for internal auditors. CA magazine, March 2008 issue.
15. Hung, J.-H., & Han, H.-L. (2008). An empirical study on effectiveness of internal auditing for listed institutions in Taiwan. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
16. IIA, (2012). The standards for the professional practice of internal auditing. Altamonte Springs: The Institute of Internal Auditors, Research Foundation.
17. Kadondi, O. N. (2012). Internal audit education: exploring professional competence, Managerial Auditing Journal, 11 (5): 28-36.
18. Kamere, N. H. (2013). Challenges faced in professionalizing the internal auditors function in Kenya’s industrial and Allied companies. Post-Sarbanes-Oxley era: the role of auditors and corporate governance, working paper, George Mason University.
19. Kiprono, D. K. (2010). The factors that contribute to the report environment for the internal auditors in Public Universities in Kenya Unpublished MBA Management Research Paper, University of Nairobi.
20. Kombo, O. and Tromp, R. (2006). Research Methods. Nairobi, UNES
21. Kothari, S., Phan, J. H., Stokes, T. H., & Wang, M. D. (2013). Pathology imaging informatics for quantitative analysis of whole-slide images. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 20(6), 1099-1108.
22. KPMG’s Audit Committee Institute (2013). An Approach to Effective Audit Committee Self evaluation
23. Krishnan, G. V., & Visvanathan, G. (2013). Reporting Internal Control Deficiencies in the Post Sarbanes Oxley Era: The Role of Auditors and Corporate Governance. International Journal of Auditing, 11(2), 73-90.
24. Lawrence, R. (2013). Risky Business Team with Audit Committee to Tackle It Security Needs. Journal of Accountancy, www. findarticles.com, June 2006
25. Mihret, D. G., & Yismaw, A. W. (2011). Internal audit effectiveness: An Ethiopian public sector case study. Managerial Auditing, Journal, 22(5), 470-484
26. Morgan, W. J. (2009), An assessment of the newly defined internal audit function, Managerial Auditing Journal, 17(3):56-83
27. Mugenda, O. M., & Mugenda, A. G. (2003). Qualitative and quantitative approaches. Research
28. Owler L. & Brown J. L. (2009). Cost and Management, Accounting Methods Macdonald & Evans Press London pp.39
29. Ramsay, I. (2002). Independence of Australian Company Auditors: A Review of Current Australian Requirements and Proposals for Reform, October 2002.
30. Schneider, A. (2014). An examination of whether incentive compensation and stock ownership affect internal auditor objectivity. Journal of Management Issues 15 (4): 486-497
31. Simiyu O J. (2011). ‘Effectiveness of internal control system in Higher Institutions of Learning’ Unpublished MBA Project, University of Nairobi.
32. Stoner A. F. (1994). Management. New Jersey: Practice Hall Inc. Company