Research article of Global journal of Economics and Business Administration
Seeing is Believing: The Effects of Word of Mouth on Homestay Tourists’ Behaviour Intention
Ding Chunbin1 and Liu Huiyue2*
1an undergraduate majoring in Tourism Management in Shenzhen Tourisim College of Jinan University.
2Ph.D., an associate professor in Shenzhen Tourism College of Jinan University.
This study employs structural equation model that establishes the effect of face-to-face word of mouth and electronic word of mouth directly on homestay tourists’ behaviour intention or through homestay image and attitude. Total 521 valid questionnaires are collected both online and offline. Analysis was performed using SPSS and Mplus7.0. The results illustrate that face-to-face word of mouth has no significant influence on homestay image, attitude and tourists’ behaviour intention while electronic word of mouth has a great effect on them. The homestay image and attitude which play mediating roles in the model also have significant impact on behaviour intention. Further practical implications of the study are discussed along with recommendations for future development of the homestay word of mouth management and marketing.
Keywords: Face-to-face word of mouth; Electronic word of mouth; Homestay; Behaviour intention; Structural equation model
Acknowledgement: This research was partially supported by grants from the National Social Science Fund of China (NSSFC No.14CJY004), the National Statistical Science Project of China (No. 2017LZ13), Guangdong Philosophy and Social Science Project (No. GD19CLJ02), Guangdong Soft Science Project (No. 2019A101002021) and Shenzhen Philosophy and Social Science Project (SZ2019D010).
How to cite this article:
Ding Chunbin, Liu Huiyue. Seeing is Believing: The Effects of Word of Mouth on Homestay Tourists’ Behaviour Intention. Global journal of Economics and Business Administration, 2020; 5:31. DOI:10.28933/gjeba-2020-07-2808
1. Arndt, J. (1967). Word of mouth advertising: A review of the literature. Advertising Research Foundation.
2. Bai K. and Guo S.W. (2010). An empirical study on the impact of symbiotic image of tourist attractions on tourists’ willingness to revisit and word-of mouth effect — a case study of Qu Jiang Tang cultural themed scenic spots in xi ‘an. Journal of tourism,25(1),53-58.
3. Beerli, A., & Martin, J. D. (2004). Factors influencing destination image. Annals of tourism re-search, 31(3), 657-681.
4. Chen, C. F., & Chen, F. S. (2010). Experience quality, perceived value, satisfaction and behavioral intentions for heritage tourists. Tourism management, 31(1), 29-35.
5. Cheng, T. M., & Lu, C. C. (2013). Destination image, novelty, hedonics, perceived value, and revisiting behavioral intention for island tourism. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 18(7), 766-783.
6. Chen X.H. and Chen M. (2017). A comparative study on the influence of Internet word of mouth and Face-to-face word of mouth on patients’ medical treatment behavior. Hospital management BBS,34(11),22-25.
7. Chen Z.L., Yang P. and Shang M.M. (2018). Characteristics, trends and reflections on the development of homeroom. Guangxi urban construction, (7),54-63.
8. Deng X.M. (2012). Research on the ethical purchase intention of consumers in the Chinese context — based on the TPB perspective. Nan-kai management review, 15(3),22-32.
9. Filieri, R. (2016). What makes an online consumer review trustworthy? Annals of Tourism Research, 58, 46-64
10. Filieri, R., Alguezaui, S., & McLeay, F. (2015). Why do travelers trust TripAdvisor? Antecedents of trust towards consumer-generated media and its influence on recommendation adoption and word of mouth. Tourism management, 51, 174-185.
11. Fu, H., Ye, B. H., and Xiang, J. (2016). Reality TV, audience travel intentions, and destination image. Tourism Management, 55, 37–48.
12. Fu, Y., Liu, X., Wang, Y., & Chao, R. F. (2018). How experiential consumption moderates the effects of souvenir authenticity on behavioral intention through perceived value. Tourism Management, 69, 356-367.
13. Ge X.F. (2012). Research on influencing factors of tourism destination choice intention. Doc. Thesis, Dalian university of technology, China.
14. Gu, H., & Ryan, C. (2008). Place attachment, identity and community impacts of tourism—the case of a Beijing hutong. Tourism management, 29(4), 637-647.
15. Guo G.Q. and Yang X.C. (2006). Word-of-mouth marketing and application strategies in the Internet era. Finance and trade economics,9,56-59+97.
16. Hanlan, J., & Kelly, S. (2005). Image formation, information sources and an iconic Australian tourist destination. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 11(2), 163-177.
17. Huang D.Y., Liu J.Y. and Liu Z. (2015). Re-search on the impact of Internet word-of-mouth on tourism destination image perception: a case study of Macau, China. Cuhk management re-search,10(3),75-93.
18. Hudson, S., Roth, M. S., Madden, T. J., and Hudson, R. (2015). The effects of social media on emotions, brand relationship quality, and word of mouth: An empirical study of music festival attendees. Tourism management, 47, 68-76.
19. Hung, K., & Petrick, J. F. (2011). The role of self-and functional congruity in cruising intentions. Journal of Travel Research, 50(1),100-112.
20. Jalilvand, M. R., & Heidari, A. (2017). Comparing face-to-face and electronic word-of-mouth in destination image formation. Information Technology & People.
21. Jalilvand, M. R., & Samiei, N. (2012). The impact of electronic word of mouth on a tourism destination choice. Internet Research
22. Jalilvand, M. R., Samiei, N., Dini, B., & Manzari, P. Y. (2012). Examining the structural relation-ships of electronic word of mouth, destination image, tourist attitude toward destination and travel intention: An integrated approach. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 1(1-2), 134-143.
23. Jin L.Y. (2007). The influence of Internet word-of-mouth information on consumers’ purchasing decisions: an experimental study. Economic management,29(22),36-42.
24. Kim, H., & Richardson, S. L. (2003). Motion picture impacts on destination images. Annals of tourism research, 30(1), 216-237.
25. Lai W.W., Hou Y.X. and Ji H.H. (2018). Re-search on brand marketing strategy of Guilin urban home stay accommodation based on net-work poor evaluation analysis. Tourism overview (second half of the year),(12),117-119.
26. Lee, T. H., and Chang, Y. S., (2012). The influence of experiential marketing and activity involvement on the loyalty intentions of wine tourists in Taiwan. Leisure Studies, 31(1), 103-121.
27. Litvin, S. W., Goldsmith, R. E., & Pan, B. (2008). Electronic word-of-mouth in hospitality and tourism management. Tourism management, 29(3),458-468.
28. Li H.L., Zhou L.Q. and Zheng Y.B. (2014). Influence of motivation and perceived value of “Yang Jia Le” tourists on their satisfaction and behavioral intention. Journal of Zhejiang university (science edition),45(1),92-102.
29. Li N.W. and Yue R. (2009). An empirical study on the credibility of online word of mouth and its impact on purchasing behavior. Library and information work,53(22),133-137.
30. Liu Q.Q., Sun X.J., Zhou Z.K., Niu G.F., Kong F.C. and Lian S.L. (2016). Impact of real self-presentation on life satisfaction of social networking sites: the chain mediating effect of online positive feedback and general self-concept. Psychological science ,39(2),406-411.
31. Li X. (2010). Research on the influence of Internet word of mouth and perceived value on customers’ purchase intention. Henan social sciences,18,(3),99-101.
32. Lynch, P. A. (2005). Sociological impressionism in a hospitality context. Annals of Tourism Re-search, 32(3), 527-548.
33. Mura, P. (2015). Perceptions of authenticity in a Malaysian homestay–A narrative analysis. Tourism Management, 51, 225-233.
34. Niu Q.B., Zheng M.S. (2008). On word-of-mouth marketing and its strategies. Marketing guide,5,48-50.
35. Pan L.L. and Wang X.Y. (2008). Study on the influence of scenic spot situational factors on tourists’ environmental behavioral intention — a case study of Xixi national wetland park. Wet-land science,16(5),597-603.
36. Prayag, G., and Ryan, C. (2012). Antecedents of tourists’ loyalty to Mauritius: The role and influence of destination image, place attachment, personal involvement, and satisfaction. Journal of Travel Research, 51(3), 342–356.
37. Ren Q.W. (2009). Discussion on the difference between online WOM and Face-to-face word of mouth. National business information (research on economic theory), (21),41-43.
38. Song, H., You, G. J., Reisinger, Y., Lee, C. K., & Lee, S. K. (2014). Behavioral intention of visitors to an Oriental medicine festival: An extended model of goal directed behavior. Tourism Management, 42, 101-113.
39. Song Y.F. and Wang X.Q. (2011). Impact of negative word-of-mouth on purchase intention –based on the comparison between traditional word-of-mouth and online word-of-mouth. Re-search on financial and economic issues,12,22-27.
40. Stepchenkova, S., and Morrison, A. M. (2006). The destination image of Russia: From the online induced perspective. Tourism Management, 27(5), 943–956.
41. Tan Y. (2017). Research on online hotel reservation behavior of Chinese and foreign consumers based on electronic word-of-mouth. M.D. Thesis, Guangxi university, China.
42. Tavitiyaman, P. and Qu, H. (2013). Destination image and behavior intention of travelers to Thailand: The moderating effect of perceived risk. Journal of travel & tourism marketing, 30(3),169-185.
43. Tu H.W., Xiong L.Y., Huang Y.M. and Guo G.X. (2017). Influence of destination image on behavioral intention of tourists — based on emotional evaluation theory. Tourism Tribune/Lvyou Xuekan, 32(2),32-41.
44. Vermeulen, I. E., & Seegers, D. (2009). Tried and tested: The impact of online hotel reviews on consumer consideration. Tourism management, 30(1), 123-127.
45. Wang L.L. (2019). Development status of Chinese homestay construction form. Chinese and foreign architecture, (5),78-80.
46. Wang Q.J. (2010). Research on the difference between online word of mouth and Face-to-face word of mouth on the influence of consumers’ purchasing decisions. M.D. Thesis, Shandong university, China.
47. Xi H., Xu J.F., Luo S.X. and Huang G.Q. (2008). Comparative study on the influence of online word of mouth and Face-to-face word of mouth on consumers’ purchasing decisions. Finance and trade economics, (2),98-104+128.
48. Yang X.Y. (2019). Reasons for the boom of homestay tourism. Overview of tourism (second half of the year), (2),30.
49. Yang Y. and Deng W. (2018). Research on the action mechanism of homestay tourism experience on tourists’ behavioral intention — a case study of Guilin city. China real estate, (27),53-61.
50. Zhou L.Q., Cheng X.H. and Zhou T.B. (2006). Study on payment intention of ecotourism certification products — based on the empirical analysis of tourists in four scenic spots in Zhejiang province. Economic geography,26(1),140-144.