Research article of Global Journal of Energy and Environment
DEPLETION IN THE BIOMASS OF FLORAL WASTE-CATTLE DUNG MIXTURES DURING VERMICOMPOSTING
*Praveesh Bhati1 Ph.D., Shobha Shouche2 Ph.D.and Sudhir Kumar Jain3 Ph.D.
1Ex Faculty, Govt. Madhav Science College, Dewas road Ujjain (M.P.) 456010, India:2 Assistant Professor, Govt. Madhav Science College, Affiliated to Vikram University Dewas road Ujjain (M.P.) 456010, India; 3 Reader, SOS in Microbiology, Affiliated to Vikram University Dewas road Ujjain (M.P.) 456010, India
Vermicomposting of different proportion of floral waste (FW)-cattle dung (CD) mixtures were carried out under aerobic condition in a plastic bins to find the rate of depletion of biomass. The initial substrate depth of five different compositions viz. 100% FW, 75% FW, 50% FW, 25% FW and 100% CD were 25cm, 16 cm, 13 cm, 11 cm and 8 cm respectively. The rate of biomass reduction was high in 100% FW which was decreased with increasing the quantity of cattle dung. The time for substrate stabilization during vermicomposting was also found to be lesser in summer as compared to rainy season. The substrate depth variation with respect to time followed a declined curve.
Keywords: Biomass reduction, floral waste, cattle dung, vermicomposting, earthworm.
How to cite this article:
Praveesh Bhati Shobha Shouche and Sudhir Kumar Jain Natural resource modelling: accounting for gillnet size selectivity in dynamic deterrence model. Global Journal of Energy and Environment, 2019,1:4
1. Banu, J. R., Yeom, I. T., Esakkiraj, S. , Kumar, N. and Logakanthi, S.2008“Biomanagement of sago-sludge using an earthworm, Eudrilus eugeniae” Journal of Environmental Biology, 29 ,143-146.
2. Eklind ,Y., Beck-Friis, B., Bengtsson, S.,Ejlertsson, J., Kirchmann ,H., Mathisen, B., Nordkvist, E., Sonesson, U., Svensson, B. H. and Torstensson, L. 1997. Chemical characterization of source- separated organic household wastes. Swedish Journal of Agricultural Researches,27,167-178.
3. Finstein, M. S. and Morris, M. L. 1975. Microbiology of municipal of solid waste composting, Advances in Applied Microbiology.19,113-151.
4. Gray, K. R., Sherman , K. and Biddlestone, A. J.1971a. “A Review of Composting–Part 1. Process Biochemistry.6:32-36.
5. Haug, R. T. 1993. “The Practical Handbook of Compost Engineering. Lewis Publishers, London.
6. Mall , A.K., Dubey, A. and Prasad, S. 2005.Vermicompost: An inevitable tool of organic farming for sustainable agriculture. Agrobios Newsletter. 3,8:10-12.
7. Miller, F.C. 1996. Composting of Municipal Solid Waste and its Components. In: Palmisano AC, Barlaz MA, eds.Microbiology of Solid Waste. CRS Press, 115–154.
8. Moqsud,A. 2010. Composting barrel for sustainable organic waste management in Bangladesh, waste management, Er Sunil Kumar (Ed.), ISBN:
9. Narayan, R. 1993.Biodegradation of polymeric materials during composting. In: Hoitink A. J. and Keener H. M (eds.) Science and Engineering of Composting: Design .Environmental, Microbiological and Utilization Aspects Renaissance Publications, Worthington. 346.
10. Ndegwa, P. M. and Thompson, S. A. 2001.Integrating composting and vermicomposting in the treatment and bioconversion of biosolids. Bioresource Technology .76,107-112.
11. Norbu,T. 2002.Pre-treatment of municipal solid waste by windrow composting and vermicomposting. Ph.D. Dissertation, School of Environment Resource and Development, Thailand.
12. Rhyner, C. R., Schwartz, L. J., Wenger, R. B. and Kohrell, M.G.1995. Waste Management and Resource Recovery. CRC Lewis Publishers. Boca Raton.
13. Ryckeboer, J., Mergaert, J., Vaes, K., Klammer, S., De Clercq, D., Coosemans, J., Insam, H. and Swings, J.2003. A survey of bacteria and fungi occurring during composting and self-heating processes. Annals of Microbiology. 53:349-410.
14. Singh,R., Iyengar,L. and Rao, A. V. S. 1977. Effect of insecticides on fungal enzymes. J. Gen. Appl. Microbiol.23:119-126.
15. Singh,N.B.,Khare,A.K.,Bhargava,D. and Bhattacharya,S.2004.Effect of substrate depth on vermicomposting. Journal-EN. 85:16-21.
16. Suthar, S and. Singh, S.2008. Vermicomposting of domestic waste by using two epigeic earthworms (Perionyx excavatus and Perionyx sansibaricus).Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech.5 ,1:99-106.
17. Tiquia, S.M. and Tam, N.F.Y. 2000a. Fate of nitrogen during composting of chicken litter. Environ Pollut (in press).
18. Vogt, K.A., Grier, C.C. and Vogt, D.J. 1986. Production, turnover, and nutrient dynamics of above- and belowground detritus of world forests. Adv. Ecol. Res. 15:303-377.
19. Zheng, G. D. and Chen, T. B. 2004. Dynamic of lead specialization in sewage sludge composting. Journal of Water Sci. and Technol. 50,9:75-82.
CC BY 4.0
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.