Research article of Global Journal of Library and Information Science
Student’s Expectations regarding Library Services of National Library of Engineering Sciences (NLES); A Case Study
Syed Zia Hussain Shah
University of Engineering & Technology
The study focused on Student’s Expectations regarding Library Services of National Library of Engineering Sciences (NLES); University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore. The function was to find out student’s expectations regarding library resources and services, accessibilities, library environment, information sources and facilitate library staff. Using the descriptive assessment design the population for the study consisted of all registered library users in the National Library of Engineering Sciences (NLES); University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore main campus. The study employed the probability simple method and stratified random sampling technique in selecting the sample size 10% for the study, and with a questionnaire data were collected. The level of students expectation was assessed through 5 point Lickert Scale and in the analysis SPSS v.22.0, these scores were measured and tabulated as mean score and total score.
Keywords: User’s expectation, User’s satisfaction, Library service quality, Library user’s satisfaction, Expectation resource
How to cite this article:
Syed Zia Hussain Shah.Student’s Expectations regarding Library Services of National Library of Engineering Sciences (NLES); A Case Study.Global Journal of Library and Information Science, 2019, 2:14.
1. Akhtar, M. Z. Library services and users satisfaction: department of LIS, Punjab University, Lahore. Pakistan Library & Information Science Journal 2008, 39, 25–34.
2. Al- Qallaf, C. (2000). Faculty Perceptions Of The Information Library Skills Of Undergraduate Students At Kuwait University, Singapore Journal of library and information management, Vol. 29, pp. 69-94.
3. Arshad, A. (2009). User’s perceptions and expectations of quality Punjab University Libraries’ Services.Unpublished M. Phil. Thesis.University of the Punjab, Lahore.
4. Arshad, A., and K. Ameen. (2010). Service Quality of the University of the Punjab’s Libraries: An Exploration of User’s Perceptions. Performance Measurement and Metrics 11 (3): 313-325.
5. Awan, M. U., Azam, S., & Asif, M. (2008). Library services quality assessment. Journal of Quality and Technology Management IV (1), 51-64.
6. Baker, R. K. (1997). Faculty perceptions towards student library use in a large urban community college: Journal of Academic Librarianship, Vol. 23, 3 pp. 177-182.
7. Boulding, W., Kalra, A., Staelin, R., &Zeithaml, V. A. (1993). A dynamic process model of service quality: from expectations to behavioral intentions. Journal of Marketing Research, 30(1), 7-27.
8. Carman, J. M. (1990). Consumer perceptions of services quality: an assessment of the SERVQUAL dimension. Journal of Retailing, Vol.24, no.1: 33-55.
9. Chinnadurai, D. &Balamurugan, D. (2013).User study of services, Kalasalingam University library. International Journal of Library and Information Science, 5(10), 325-329.
10. Chweh, S. S. (1981). User criteria for evaluation of library service.Journal of Library Administration, 2(1), 35-46.
11. Cook, C., & Heath, F. (2001). SERVQUAL and the quest for new measures.Journal of Library Administration, 35, 37-40.
12. Cook, C., Heath, F., & Thompson, B. (2001). User’s hierarchical perspectives on library services quality: A “LibQUAL+” study. College and Research Libraries, 62(2), 147-153.
13. Cook C., &Thompaon, B., (2000). Reliability and validity of SERVQUAL scores used to evaluate perceptions of library services quality. Journal of academic Librarianship, 26(4), 248
14. Crowley, G. H, &Gilreath C. L (2002). Probing user perceptions of service quality: Using focus groups to enhance quantitative surveys. Performance Measurement and metrics, 3 (2), 78-84.
15. Cullen, R. (2001). Perspectives on user satisfaction surveys.Library Trends, 49(4), 662-686.
16. Danuta A. N. (1996). Changing the Concept and Measure of Service Quality in Academic Libraries, Journal of Academic Librarianshi.22, (3), 181-90.
17. Dhanavandan, S.et al. (2012).Access and awareness of ICT resources and services in medical college libraries in Pondicherry.Library Philosophy and Practice (e-Journals)
18. Filiz, Z. (2007). Service Quality of University Library: A Survey amongst students at Osmangazi University and AnadoluUniversity.Istanbul University Econometrics and Statistics e-Journal 5 (1): 1-19.
19. George D’ Elia and Sanda Walsh, (1983). User satisfaction with Library service: A Measure of Public Library Performance? The Library Qyarterly, 53(2), pp.109-133, The University of Chicago Press.
20. Heath, F., & Cook, C. (2003). SERVQUAL: Service quality assessment in libraries in Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science (2nd ed. Vol.1-3, pp.2613-2625). New York: Marcel Dekker.
21. Hubbard, W. J., & Walter, D. E. (2005).Assessing library services with LibQUAL: a case study.The southeastern Librarian, 53(1), 35-45.
22. Jayasundara, C. C. (2008). User Perceptions and Expectations on E- Information Literacy Development Programmes.National University Library, 10 (4), 82.
23. Johnson, W. G. (2007). LibQUAL + and the community college library. Community and Junior College Libraries, 14(2), 139-150.
24. Khan, Asad (2006).Reference librarian’s services and customers satisfaction.Pakistan Library & Information Service Journal, Vol. 37, No.2, 30-37.
25. Kumar, R. (2013).User satisfaction with library services of textile Engineering Institutes of Haryana: an easement. International journal of library and Information Scince, 5(6), 185-191.
26. Kyrillidou, M., &Persson, A. C. (2006). The new library user in Sweden: A LibQUAL study at Lund University.Perfornance Measurement and Metrics, 7(1), 45-53.
27. Mairaj, M. I., &Naseer, M. M. (2013). Library services and user satisfaction in developing countries: a case study health Information & Libraries Journal, 30(4), 318-326.
28. Majid, S., Anwar, M. A. &Eisenschitz, T. S. User perceptions of library effectiveness in Malaysian agricultural libraries.Library Review 2001,50, 176-186.
29. Martensen, A. &Grontoldt, L. (2003). Improving library users perceived quality, satisfaction and loyalty: an integrated measurement and management system. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 29,140-147.
30. Manjunatha, K., and D. Shivalingaiah (2004). Customer’s Perception of Service Quality in Libraries. Annals of Library and Information Studies 51 (4): 145-151.
31. Merugu, Ravi Kumar; Nandurkikar, sanjay B & Kumar Anil. (2014). Users Satisfaction with Library Services if BaiRatanabaiGharda Memorial Library: A Study. Asian Journal of Mutidisciplinary Studies, 2(7), 85-92.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.