Research article of Global Journal of Library and Information Science
ORGANIZATIONAL COMMUNICATION AS A CORRELATE OF STAFF PERFORMANCE IN STATE POLYTECHNIC LIBRARIES IN NORTH CENTRAL, NIGERIA
Nathaniel Agbo Oche, Ph.D, CLN
Benue State Polytechnic Library, Ugbokolo
The major responsibility of human resources is to facilitate service provision and delivery. Libraries in the polytechnic system, are established to provide high quality information services in support of teaching and research for academic staff members as well as acquisition of knowledge of students. The study was carried out for the purpose of determining the relationship between organizational communication and staff performance in State polytechnic libraries in North Central, Nigeria. A correlational survey design was used to find out the relationship between organizational communication and staff performance in the State polytechnic libraries in North Central, Nigeria. The population of the study consisted of one hundred and eight (108) professionals (librarians), para-professionals (library officers) and non-professionals (computer operators and Administrative staff) in the State polytechnic libraries in the North Central, Nigeria. Since the population is not too large to manage, there was no sampling. Questionnaire and interview were used for data collection. Out of the 108 copies of questionnaire distributed, 94 copies were returned and used for data analysis. This gave a response rate of 87%. The data collected were analyzed using Pearson Product Moment Coefficient for answering research question 2 while mean and standard deviation were used to answer questions 1, 3 and 4 . The responses from the interview were analyzed qualitatively while regression analysis was used to test the two null hypotheses at 0.05 level of significance. The results indicate that the value of correlation coefficient(r) of Organizational Communication is 0.257 showing low relationship between Organizational Communication and Staff performance. The study also showed that the problems that militate against staff performance in the state polytechnic libraries are, among others, the absence of effective communication between the leadership and the staff, no opportunity for team work, supervisors don’t listening ears to their subordinates, etc. The recommendations include; written directives and reports should be clear and concise, there should be timely communication about decisions in an organization, bridging of communication gap between the leaders and staff, etc.
Keywords: Organizational Communication, Staff Performance, Communication, State Polytechnic Libraries, North Central, Nigeria
How to cite this article:
Nathaniel Agbo Oche. ORGANIZATIONAL COMMUNICATION AS A CORRELATE OF STAFF PERFORMANCE IN STATE POLYTECHNIC LIBRARIES IN NORTH CENTRAL, NIGERIA.Global Journal of Library and Information Science, 2020, 3:22. DOI: 10.28933/gjlis-2020-06-0505
1. Abdulsalami, L.T. & Salami, P.F. (2015). Marketing Information Services in Polytechnic Libraries in Nigeria. Journal of Education and Practice, 4(6), 10-20. Available: http://iiste.org/Journals/index.php/JEP Ac-cessed: 20/1/2017.
2. Amari, S. (2014) The Relation between Academic Education and Employees’ Performance In Tehran Parsian Evin and Azadi Hotels. Unpublished Masters Thesis. Lucev University of Technology, Department of Business, Administration,Technology and Social Sciences.
3. Amusa, O.I., Iyaro, A. O. & Olabisi, A. F. (2013). Work environments and job performance of Librarians in the Public Universities in South-West, Nigeria. International Journal of Library and Information Science. 5(11), 457 – 461.
4. Awadh, M.A. & Saad, M.A. (2013). Impact of Organizational Culture on employee Performance, International Review of Management and Business Research. 2(1), 168-175
5. Bamgbose, A.A. & Ladipo, S.O (2017) Influence of motivation on academic library employees’ performance and productivity in Lagos, Nigeria. Information Impact: Journal of Information and knowledge Management, 8(2); 33-47.
6. Bolarinwa, J.A. & Olorunfemi (2009) Organizational Communication for Organizational Climate Quality Service in Academic Libraries. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal).
7. Carlsen, K. (2013) Sales motivation: one size does not fit all. Selling, October, 14-15.
8. Chandrasekar, K. (2011). Workplace Environment and its Impact on Organizational Performance in Private Sector Organizational. Alagappa University, Karaikudi, India. International Journal of Enterprise Computing and Business Systems (1), 1-20
9. Cherry, Kendra (2018). Correlational studies: A closer look at correlational Research. Available: http://www.verywellmind.com/correlationalresearch-2795774. Accessed: 23/7/2018.
10. Emojorho, Daniel (2010) The Role of Effective Communication in Enhancement of Library Services: An Overview of Delta State University Library, Abraka. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal).
11. Fauzilah, S.(2011). The Effect of Motivation on Job Performance of State Government Employees in Malaysia. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, 1(4),147-154
12. Femi, A.F. (2014). The Impact of Communication on workers Performance in Selected organizations in Lagos State, Nigeria. 10SR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (10SR-JHS) 19(8). Available: http://www.10srjournals.org. Accessed 12/5/2016
13. Gulsum, B., Pala, A., Kumartasli, M. & Liker, D. (2016). Investigation of the Relationship between Organizational Trust and Organizational Commitment. Universal Journal of Educational Re-search, 4(6), 1418-1425
14. Ifidon, E. & Ugwuanyi, R. N.C. (2013). Effective communication in academic libraries: An imperative for knowledge delivery. International Journal of Library and Information Science, 5(7), 203-207.
15. Isebe, L. E. M. (2015). Vandalisation of Infor-mation Materials in Colleges of Education in Del-ta State. International Journal of Library & Information Science. 1(1). 1-11
16. Kagaari, J.R.K., Munene, J.C., & Ntayi, J.M(2013). Agency Relations and Management Performance in Public Universities in Uganda. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology/SA,TydskrifvirBedryfsielkunde,39(1).http://dx.doi.org/104102/sajip.v39.0.916
17. Mayowa-Ademara, O. & Aina, F. R. (2016). Work environment and organizational commitment of staff in Academic Libraries in Lagos State, Nigeria. Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 9 (1), 39-48.
18. Nassazi, N. (2013). Effects of Training on Employee Performance: Evidence from Uganda, Dissertation, Vaasan Ammattikorkeakouku University of Applied Sciences.
19. Ntui, A. I., Adu A. V. & Eyong I. U. (2014). Motivation as Correlates of Work Attitudes of Library Staff in Tertiary Institutions’ Libraries in River State, Nigeria. Journal of Library & Information Sciences. 2(2), 55-6
20. Nworgu, B.G. (2015). Educational Research: Basic Issues and Methodology. 3rd ed. Nsukka: University Trust Publishers.
21. Onaolapo, S.A. (2016). Evaluating the use of Polytechnic Libraries in Nigeria: A Case study of Federal Polytechnic, Offa Library, Kwara State, Nigeria. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal) 6. Available: http://digitalcommons.unl. edu/bobphilprac/ 1422. Accessed: 03/2/2017
22. Owusu-Boateng, W. & Jeduah, B.A. (2014). Effects of Organizational Communication on Employee Performance: A case of the Agricultural Development Bank, Tamale. Public Policy and Administration Research. 4(6). 67-80.
23. Saeed, R. Mussawar, S., Lodhi, R.N., Igbal, A., Nayab, H.H. & Yaseen, S. (2013). Factors Affecting the Performance of Employees at work-place in the Banking sector in Pakistan. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research 17 ( 9). P. 1200-1208.
24. Schmitz, A. (2012). Introduction to organizational communication. Available: http//2012books.lardbucket.org/. Accessed: 16/3/2018.
25. Senyah, Y. (2013). Motivation and productivity in Academic Libraries: A case study of the Kwame Nkruma University of Sciences and Technology Library, Kumasi. Journal of Science and Technology, 35(40), 80-89.
26. Senyah, M. M., Rosemary, B. C. & Kwadwo, A. P. (201). Assessment of the Effectiveness of Performance Appraisal on Work Productivity: a Case Study of Kumasi Polytechnic. Global Journal of Human Resource Management, 4(3), 1-5
27. Udomisor, I.W., Udomisor, E.I., & Smith, E.U. (2013). Management of Communication Crisis in a Library and its influence on Productivity. Information and Knowledge Management. 1(8)
28. Uzoagulu, A.E. (2011). Practical Guide to Writing Research Project Report in Tertiary Institutions, Enugu; Cheston Ltd.
29. Yamaguchi, I. (2013). A Japan-US Cross-Cultural Study of Relationships among team Autonomy, Organizational Social Capital, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 37, 58-71
30. Zahargler,A.S. & Balasunderam, N. (2011).Factors Affecting Employee’s Performance in Ready-Made Garments (RMGs) Sector in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Petroleum-Gas University Ploiesti, BULETIN; Vol. LXIII, No.1, 9-15. Economic Science Series
31. Ziapour, A. K., Kianipour, A. N. & Jafary, F. (2015). Identification and Analysis of Labor Productivity Components Based on Achieve Model: (Case:Study of Staff of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences). Global Journal of Health Science: 7(9), 315-321