Case Report of Global Journal of Urology and Nephrology
Large urinary bladder leiomyoma causing right hydronephrosis, a rare case report: diagnosis and management
Manjeet Kumar1, Kailash barwal1, Girish Kumar1, Kalpesh Mahesh Parmar2, Pamposh raina1
1 Department of Urology, IGMC, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India
2 Department of Urology, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Leiomyoma of the urinary bladder is a rare tumor despite the routine use of ultrasonography. These tumors are typically asymptomatic, sometimes present with hematuria, dysuria, and bladder outlet obstruction. Leiomyoma is a benign tumor which is detected incidentally and rarely causes upper urinary tract changes. (1, 2) We present an extremely rare case of leiomyoma in urinary bladder causing right hydronephrosis and presenting with flank pain.
A 42 years female presented with flank pain in the emergency room as result of hydronephrosis in the right kidney. Imaging of urinary tract revealed 6 x 6.5 cm, a well-circumscribed tumor with right hydroureteronephrosis suggestive of leiomyoma of the urinary bladder. Excision of leiomyoma was done intravesically with preservation of bilateral ureteral orifices’.
Our case highlights despite being a large tumor there was no ureteral involvement. The hydronephrosis was the result of compression from large sized leiomyoma which was successfully managed by excision of leiomyoma.
Keywords: Leiomyoma, urinary bladder, Hydronephrosis, Transurethral biopsy, ureteric orifice
How to cite this article:
Manjeet Kumar, Kailash barwal, Girish Kumar, Kalpesh Mahesh Parmar, Pamposh raina. Large urinary bladder leiomyoma causing right hydronephrosis, a rare case report: diagnosis and management. Global Journal of Urology and Nephrology, 2019, 2:11
1. Campbell EW, Gislason GJ. Benign mesothelial tumors of the urinary bladder: review of literature and a report of an ease of leiomyoma. J. Urol. 1953; 70:733–42.
2. Melicow MM. Tumors of the urinary bladder. J. Urol. 1937; 37:117.\
3. Goluboff ET, O’Toole K, Sawczuk IS. Leiomyoma of bladder: report of case and review of literature. Urology 1994; 43:238–41.
4. Knoll LD, Segura JW, Scheilhauer BW. Leiomyoma of the bladder. J. Urol. 1986; 136:906–13.
5. Cornella JL, Larson TR, Lee RA, Magrina JF, Kammerer-DoakD. Leiomyoma of the female urethra and bladder: report of twenty-three patients and review of the literature. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1997; 176:1278–85.
6. Kutzmann AA. Leiomyoma of urinary bladder.J. Urol. 1937;37: 117–32.
7. Lyons TL, Lee T, Winer WK. Laparoscopic removal of a bladder leiomyoma. J. Am. Assoc. Gynecol. Laparosc. 1998; 5: 423–6.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.