Research Article of Global Journal of Urology and Nephrology
Hemodialysis in Emergency Situation: About 107 Cases at The Hemodialysis Center of Thies Hospital (Senegal)
DIAWARA Mame Selly1, KANE Yaya2*, CISSE M Moustapha1, LEMRABOTT A Tall3, FAYE Maria3, BOP Martial Coly5, FAYE Moustapha3, SECK S M4, KA El Fary3, NIANG Abdou3, DIOUF Boucar3
1Nephrology service hemodialysis RHC Thiès / University of Thiès
2Nephrology Service Hemodialysis, Peace Hospital University, Assane Seck Ziguinchor
3Nephrology Hemodialysis Service HALD UCAD Dakar
4Hemodialysis Nephrology Service RHC of St Louis UGB
5Public Health Department Alioune Diop University of Bambey
INTRODUCTION: The gaol of this work was to determine the hemodialysis’ prevalence in emergency situations, indications, clinical, paraclinical, evolutionary and patient future.
PATIENTS AND METHODS: It was a prospective monocentric descriptive and analytical study over a period of one year (01 March 2018 to 30 April 2019) carried out at the regional hospital of Thiès. Was included all patients with acute or chronic renal failure who were under emergency hemodialysis sessions.
RESULTS: Out of 263 patients, 107 patients underwent emergency hemodialysis with a prevalence of 40.68%. The average age of our patients was 46.39 ± 17.13 years and the sex ratio was 1.05. The main indications for emergency hemodialysis were poorly tolerated uremia in 54 patients (50.47%) followed by hyperkalemia in 43 patients (40.19%). Chronic renal failure (CRF) was the most noted type of renal disease in 74 patients (69.15%) with nephroangiosclerosis as the primary cause (25.2%). Acute renal failure (ARF) was found in 33 patients (38.85%) with acute tubular necrosis (10.8%) as the main etiology. The most frequently used approach was the femoral route in 87 patients (81.3%). Nineteen patients (17.8%) died including 13 patients outside dialysis and 6 patients on dialysis.
CONCLUSION: In Senegal, patients are seen most often in the late stages and the inaccessibility to treatment of extra-renal treatment make that the hemodialysis is most often started in a context of urgency.
Keywords: Hemodialysis , Emergency, Thies, Senegal
How to cite this article:
DIAWARA Mame Selly, KANE Yaya, CISSE M Moustapha, LEMRABOTT A Tall, FAYE Maria, BOP Martial Coly, FAYE Moustapha, SECK S M, KA El Fary, NIANG Abdou, DIOUF Boucar. Hemodialysis in Emergency Situation: About 107 Cases at The Hemodialysis Center of Thies Hospital (Senegal). Global Journal of Urology and Nephrology, 2020, 3:21. DOI: 10.28933/gjun-2019-12-2205
1. Felah E. and al. Emergency hemodialysis in 115 cases. Nephrol Ther 2018; 14: 318.
2. Mr BensalemA. and al. hemodialysis in emergency: about 114 cases. Nephrol Ther 2015; 11: 297-298.
3. Koroma M and al. Indications of hemodialysis in emergency situation in Dakar. These Med 2013 No 75. Dakar (Senegal)
4. SANE FG and al. Hemodialysis in emergency situation at the Dantec University Hospital in Dakar. These Med 2019 No 344. Dakar (Senegal)
5. Bourquia A. Current status of IRC treatment in Morocco. Nephrol 1999; 20: 75-80.
6. Squalli T. Hemodialysis in emergency situation. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 2009; 57: s39.
7. Lazral and al. Hemodialysis in an emergency situation about 207cas. nephrol Ther 2011; 7: 341
8. Talbi S, and al. Hemodialysis in emergency situation. These Med. N◦033 / 2011. Fez. Morocco.
9. Yassine D and al. Treatment of chronic end stage renal failure in emergency. These Med N ° 009/2012. Fez. Morocco.
10. sFHH (French Society of Hospital Hygiene). Good hygiene practices in hemodialysis. Recommendations of the French Society of Hospital Hygiene. Hygiene 2005; 8: 79-101
11. Combe C. Dose of dialysis; nutrition and inflammation. data from: Dialysis Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study (DOPPS). Nephrol Ther 2010; 6: 7-12.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.