Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
A case report on Lassa fever and hearing loss: A rare occurrence and review of the literature
Daniel Adekunle*, Raji Yemi Raheem**, Ijitola Julius Olowo*, Bello Temitope Oluwatobi**, Jinadu Olanrewaju Yusuf**, Ajayi Samuel Oluwole**, Olaleye Olufemi David***, Salako Babatunde Lawal**, Lasisi Olawale Akeem*
* Department of Otorhinolaryngology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan and University College Hospital Ibadan
** Nephrology unit, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan and University College Hospital Ibadan
*** Department of Virology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan
Lassa fever is highly endemic in Nigeria and other West African countries, it is a disease associated with high case fatality and chronic sequelae in those that survived. Lack of effective vaccine has made the disease difficult to control and it prevention depends on eradications of the multimammate rats and universal precautions by all when a case is identified. We report a case of a 51 years old health worker who had a severe form of Lassa fever complicated by sensorineural deafness at the University College Hospital, Ibadan, South West Nigeria.
Keywords: Lassa fever, viral haemorrhagic septicaemia, sensorineural hearing loss
How to cite this article:
Daniel Adekunle, Raji Yemi Raheem, Ijitola Julius Olowo, Bello Temitope Oluwatobi, Jinadu Olanrewaju Yusuf, Ajayi Samuel Oluwole, Olaleye Olufemi David*, Salako Babatunde Lawal, Lasisi Olawale Akeem. A case report on Lassa fever and hearing loss: A rare occurrence and review of the literature. International Journal of Case Reports, 2017 1:3. DOI:10.28933/ijcr-2017-03-1501
1. Tomori O, Fabiyi A, Sonugbe A, Smith A, McCormick JB. Viral haemorrhagic fever antibodies in Nigerian populations. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1988; 38: 407-410
2. Frame JD, Baldwin JM, Gocke DJ, Troup JM. Lassa fever, a new virus disease of man from West Africa. I. Clinical description and pathological findings. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 1970; 19: 670–6.
3. Centres for Disease control and prevention Lassa fever Fact sheethttp://www.cdc.gov/vhf/lassa/resources/Lassa-FactSheet.pdf
4. WHOLassafeverFactsheetN°179.2005. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs179/en/
5. Fisher-Hoch SP, Tomori O, Nasidi A, Perez-Oronoz GI, Fakile Y, Hutwagner L, et al. Review of cases of nosocomial Lassa fever in Nigeria: the high price of poor medical practice.BMJ. 1995;311:857–9.10.1136/bmj.311.7009.857
6. Rybak LP Deafness associated with Lassa fever.JAMA. 1990;264:2119.10.1001/jama.1990.03450160089037
7. White HA Lassa fever: a study of 23 hospital cases. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1972;66:390–401.10.1016/0035-9203(72)90269-6
8. Henderson BE, Gary GW, Kissling RE, Frame JD, Carey DE Lassa fever: Virological and serological studies. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 1972;66:409–16.10.1016/0035-9203(72)90272-6
9. Liao BS, Byl FM, Adour KK. Audiometric comparison of Lassa fever hearing loss and idiopathic sudden hearing loss: evidence for viral cause. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1992; 106(3):226–229.
10. Okokhere P O, Ibekwe T S, Akpede G O. Sensorineural hearing loss in Lassa fever. Two case reports. J Med Case Reports 2009; 3: 36
11. Buchman CA, Levine JD, Balkany TJ. In: Essential Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery. Lee KJ, editor. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division; 2003. Infections of the ear; pp. 462–511.
12. Cvorović L, Deric D, Probst R, Hegemann S. Prognostic model for predicting hearing recovery in idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. OtolNeurotol. 2008; 29: 464–469.
13. Cummins D, McCormick JB, Bennett D, Samba JA, Farrar B, Machin SJ, Fisher-Hoch SP. Acute sensorineural hearing loss in Lassa fever. JAMA. 1990;264 (16):2093–2096.
14. Emmerich P, Günther S, Schmitz H. Strain-specific antibody response to Lassa virus in the local population of west Africa. J ClinVirol. 2008; 42(1):40–44.
15. Günther S, Weisner B, Roth A, Grewing T, Asper M, Drosten C, Emmerich P, Petersen J, Wilczek M, Schmitz H. Lassa fever encephalopathy: Lassa virus in cerebrospinal fluid but not in serum. J Infect Dis. 2001; 184(3):345–349.
16. MacherAM, Wolfe MS. Historical Lassa fever reports and 30-year clinical update. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12(5):835–837.
17. Cvorovic L, Jovanovic MB, Mulutinovic Z, Arsovic N, Djeric D. Randomized prospective trial of hyperbaric oxygen and intratympanic steroid injection as salvage treatment of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Otol Neurotol. 2013; 34: 1021-1026
18. Wu HP, Chou YF, Yu SH, Wang CP, Hsu CJ, Chen PR. Intratympanic steroid injections as a salvage treatment for sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Otol Neurotol. 2011; 32: 774-779
19. Xenellis J, Papadimitriou N, Nikolopoulos T, Maragoudakis P, Segas J, Tzagaroulakis A, Ferekidis E. Intratympanic steroid treatment in idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a control study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006; 13: 940-945
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.