Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Primary cerebral lymphoma in immuno-competent patient: report of 2 cases and literature review
Fatima zahra Farhane, Touria Bouhafa, Abderrahmane Elmazghi, Khalid Hassouni
Department of radiotherapy, HASSAN II university hospital, Fez, Morocco
Primary cerebral lymphoma is a form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma with a solitary localization in the brain, excepting other localizations involving the central nervous system. This is a rare cancer but with increasing incidence, it was predominantly observed in immunodepressed HIV-positive patients but since the advent of effective antiretroviral treatments, it has essentially been observed in immunocompetent patients.
We report two cases of primary cerebral lymphoma observed in immunocompetent patients.
Keywords: Primary cerebral lymphoma, immuno-competent patient, case report.
How to cite this article:
Fatima zahra Farhane, Touria Bouhafa, Abderrahmane Elmazghi, Khalid Hassouni. Primary cerebral lymphoma in immuno-competent patient: report of 2 cases and literature review. International Journal of Case Reports, 2018 2:16. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2018-04-2601.
1. Dolecek TA, Propp JM, Stroup NE, Kruchko C. CBTRUS statistical report: Primary brain and central nervous system tumors diagnosed in the United States in 2005–2009. Neuro Oncol. 2012;14.
2. Lymphome cérébral primitif chez un sujet immunocompétent Pratique Neurologique – FMC 2012;3:40–44.
3. Fraser E, Gruenberg K, Rubenstein JL. New approaches in primary central nervous system lymphoma. Chin Clin Oncol. 2015 Mar;4(1):11.
4. Phillips EH1, Fox CP, Cwynarski K. Primary CNS lymphoma. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2014 Sep;9(3):243-53. doi: 10.1007/s11899-014-0217-2.
5. Bauchet L, Rigau V, Mathieu-Daudé H, Figarella-Branger D, Hugues D, Palusseau L, et al. French brain tumor data bank: methodology and first results on 10,000 cases. J Neurooncol 2007;84:189–99.
6. Batchelor T1, Loeffler JS.Primary CNS lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Mar 10;24(8):1281-8.
7. Porter AB, Giannini C, Kaufmann T, et al. Primary central nervous system lymphoma can be histologically diagnosed after previous corticosteroid use: a pilot study to determine whether corticosteroids prevent the diagnosis of primary central nervous system lymphoma. Ann Neurol 2008;63:662-7.
8. Shenkier TN, Blay JY, O’Neill BP, et al. Primary CNS lymphoma of T-cell origin: a descriptive analysis from the international primary CNS lymphoma collaborative group. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:2233-9.
9. Braaten KM, Betensky RA, de Leval L, et al. BCL-6 expression predicts improved survival in patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 2003;9:1063-9.
10. Camilleri-Broët S, Crinière E, Broët P, et al. A uniform activated B-cell-like immunophenotype might explain the poor prognosis of primary central nervous system lymphomas: analysis of 83 cases. Blood 2006;107:190-6.
11. Rubenstein JL, Hsi ED, Johnson JL, et al. Intensive chemotherapy and immunotherapy in patients with newly diagnosed primary CNS lymphoma: CALGB 50202 (Alliance 50202). J Clin Oncol 2013;31:3061-8.
12. Rubenstein JL, Fridlyand J, Shen A, et al. Gene expression and angiotropism in primary CNS lymphoma. Blood 2006;107:3716-23.
13. Abrey LE, Batchelor TT, Ferreri AJ, Gospodarowicz M, Pulczynski EJ, Zucca E, et al. Report of an international workshop to standardize baseline evaluation and response criteria for primary CNS lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:5034–43.
14. Ferreri AJ, Blay J-Y, Reni M, et al: Prognostic scoring system for primary CNS lymphomas: The International Extranodal Lymphoma Study Group experience. J Clin Oncol 21:266-272, 2003.
15. Hoang-Xuan et al. Diagnosis and treatment of primary CNS lymphoma in immunocompetent patients: guidelines fromthe EuropeanAssociation for Neuro-Oncology. Lancet Oncol. 2015 Jul;16(7):e322-32.
16. DeAngelis LM, Yahalom J, Heinemann MH, et al. Primary CNS lymphoma: combined treatment with chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Neurology 1990;40:80-6.
17. Jürgens A, Pels H, Rogowski S, et al. Long-term survival with favorable cognitive outcome after chemotherapy in primary central nervous system lymphoma. Ann Neurol 2010; 67: 182–89.
18. Sandor V, Stark-Vancs V, Pearson D, et al. Phase II trial of chemotherapy alone for primary CNS and intraocular lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 1998; 16: 3000–06.
19. Lai R, Rosenblum MK, DeAngelis LM. Primary CNS lymphoma: a whole-brain disease? Neurology 2002; 59: 1557–62.
20. Prica A, Chan K, Cheung MC. Combined modality therapy versus chemotherapy alone as an induction regimen for primary central nervous system lymphoma: a decision analysis. Br J Haematol. 2012;158:600–7.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.