Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Totally Cystic Schwannoma in the posterior mediastinum on right side- A rare presentation
Amarjit singh, K S Sidhu, Shivaji Rai, Karandeep singh.
Department of Cardio-Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Government Medical College, Amritsar, India
A 54 year old female presented with a short history of dyspnoea on exertion and pain right hypochondrium, radiating to back. X-Ray chest showed a well-defined opaque mass in the posterior mediastinum. A computed Tomography (C T) scan chest done revealed a thick walled cystic lesion in the posterior mediastinum compressing the right lower lobe bronchus along with minimal pleural effusion on same side. Ultrasound guided aspiration was done and clear watery fluid aspirated. Standard postero-lateral thoracotomy was under taken and the whole cystic mass was excised. Postoperative period was uneventful. Histopathological examination of the cyst wall revealed it to be a cystic schwannoma.
Keywords: Cystic mass, Posterior mediastinum, Thorax, Thoracotomy, Schwannoma.
How to cite this article:
Amarjit singh, K S Sidhu, Shivaji Rai,Karandeep singh.Totally Cystic Schwannoma in the posterior mediastinum on right side- A rare presentation. International Journal of Case Reports, 2018 2:21. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2018-05-0301.
1. Uvie U Onakpoya, 1, 2 Bamidele O Adeniyi, 3 Joel O Eyekpegha, 2 and Akinwumi B Ogunrombi1, 2. Large posterior mediastinal schwannoma in a 45-year-old woman. Lung India. 2017 Jan-Feb; 34(1): 109–110.
2. Mujtaba Mubashir, 1 Abdus Salam, corresponding author2 Amyn Sonawalla, 2 Huma Fatima, 2 and Saulat H Fatimi3. Rare Presentation of a Posterior Mediastinal Cystic Schwannoma as a Large Pleural Effusion.Cures.2017 Aug;9(8).e1558
3. Wu Y1, Zhang J1, Chai Y1. Giant mediastinal schwannoma located in the lower right side of the chest. Niger J Clin Pract. 2016 Sep-Oct;19(5):678-80.
4. Jang JY, Kim JS, Choe JW, et al. A case of giant, benign schwannoma associated with total lung collapse by bloody effusionTuberc Respir Dis. 2013;75:71–74.
5. Amin R, Waibel BH. An unusual presentation of a posterior mediastinal schwannoma associated with traumatic hemothorax. Case Rep Surg. 2015;2015.
6. WEI WANG,1 MING CUI,2 HONG XI MA,3 HONG ZHANG,1 ZHEN-HUA ZHANG,1 and YOU-BIN CUI1. A large schwannoma of the middle mediastinum: A case report and review of the literature. Oncol Lett. 2016 Mar; 11(3): 1719–1721.
7. Kemal Ödev, Bilgin K. Arıbaş,1 Alaaddin Nayman, Olgun K. Arıbaş,2 Tamer Altınok,2 and Ahmet Küçükapan. Imaging of Cystic and Cyst-like Lesions of the Mediastinum with Pathologic Correlation. J Clin Imaging Sci. 2012; 2: 33.