Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Goblet Cell Carcinoid (GCC) of the Appendix presenting as a Small Bowel Obstruction: Case Report and Literature Review
Amin Tanveer1 MD, Shaani Sighal2 MBBS, Asiri Arachchi3 MBBS, Zoltan Hrabovszky3 MBBS, FRACS, Mikhail Fisher3 MBBS, FRACS.
Amin Tanveer: Surgical Registrar, Department of General Surgery Peninsula Health, PO BOX 52, 2 Hastings Road, Frankston, Victoria, Australia; Shaani Sighal: Surgical resident, Department of General surgery Dandenong Hospital (Monash Health), 135 David Street, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia; Asiri Arachchi: Surgical registrar, Department of General Surgery Dandenong Hospital (Monash Health), 135 David Street, Dandenong, Victoria, AustraliaZoltan Hrabovszky; General Surgeon, Department of General Surgery Dandenong Hospital (Monash Health), 135 David Street, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia; Mikhail Fisher: General Surgeon, Department of General Surgery Dandenong Hospital (Monash Health), 135 David Street, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Goblet Cell Carcinoid (GCC) is a rare, low grade malignancy, and GCC presenting as a small bowel obstruction (SBO) is incredibly rare.
Hereby, we presenting a 68-year-old male presented to our Emergency Department with a one-day history of right sided abdominal pain, distention and vomiting, he had no previous abdominal surgery and had no significant other medical problem. Abdominal Computed Tomography (CT) demonstrated a high grade, closed loop small bowel obstruction involving the terminal segment of the ileum, and a low-density appendiceal nodule. He had laparoscopy converted to open caecectomy, the histology, confirmed the diagnosis of Goblet Cell Carcinoid of the appendix, eventually he had right hemicolectomy, progressed well, and made a good post-operative recovery, discharged home.
As presentation of GCC of the appendix with sbo is a very rare incidence, we discussed this through a case report with its immunohistochemical, behavioral features, presentation and treatment options.
Keywords: Goblet Cell Carcinoid of appendix, small bowel obstruction, Carcinoid tumor, neuroendocrine tumor.
How to cite this article:
Amin Tanveer, Shaani Sighal, Asiri Arachchi, Zoltan Hrabovszky, Mikhail Fisher, Mikhail Fisher. Goblet Cell Carcinoid (GCC) of the Appendix presenting as a Small Bowel Obstruction: Case Report and Literature Review. International Journal of Case Reports, 2018 3:50. DOI:10.28933/ijcr-2018-11-2206
1. Roy P, Chetty R. Goblet cell carcinoid tumours of the appendix: an overview. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2010; 2(6):251–8.
2. Jiang Y, Long H, Li T, Wang W, Liu H, Zhang X. Schistosomiasis may contribute to goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix. J Parasitol. 2012 Jun;98(3):565-8
3. Pham TH, Wolff B, Abraham SC, Drelichman E. Surgical and chemotherapy treatment outcomes of goblet cell carcinoid: a tertiary cancer center experience. Ann Surg Oncol. 2006; 13 (3):370–6.
4. N.H. Anderson, J.E. Somerville, C.F. Johnston, D.M. Hayes, K.D.Buchanan, J.M. Sloan Appendiceal goblet cell carcinoids: a clinico-pathological and immunohistochemical study Histopathology, 18 (1991), pp. 61-65
5. Bosman FT, Carneiro F, Hruban RH, Thiese ND (Eds). WHO Classifiication of Tumors of the Digestive System, IARC, Lyon 2010
6. Tang LH, Shia J, Soslow RA, Dhall D, Wong WD, O’Reilly E, Qin J, Paty P, Weiser MR, Guillem J, et al. Pathologic classification and clinical behaviour of the spectrum of goblet cell carcinoid tumours of the appendix. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008; 32(10):1429–43.
7. Alsaad KO, Serra S, Schmitt A, Perren A, Chetty R. Cytokeratins 7 and 20 immunoexpression profile in goblet cell and classical carcinoids of appendix. Endocr Pathol. 2007 Spring; 18(1):16-22.
8. Liu, Eric et al. The role of Ki-67 in predicting biological behaviour of goblet cell carcinoid tumour in appendix. The American Journal of Surgery, Volume 202, Issue 4, 400-403
9. Afroz1 N, Shamim N, Sofi1 LA, Rizvi A. Incidentally discovered goblet cell carcinoid clinically presenting as acute intestinal obstruction: A case report with review of literature. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. Volume 57, Issue 1, 120-123
10. JC Byrn, JL Wang, CM Divino, et al.Management of goblet cell carcinoid J Surg Oncol, 94 (2006), pp. 340-396
11. Varisco B, McAlvin B, Dias J, Franga D. Adenocarcinoid of the appendix: is right hemicolectomy necessary? A meta-analysis of retrospective chart reviews. Am Surg. 2004 Jul; 70(7):593-9.
12. Plöckinger U, Couvelard A, Falconi M, Sundin A, Salazar R, Christ E, de Herder WW, Gross D, Knapp WH, Knigge UP, Kulke MH, Pape UF; Frascati Consensus Conference participants. Consensus guidelines for the management of patients with digestive neuroendocrine tumours: well-differentiated tumour/carcinoma of the appendix and goblet cell carcinoma. Neuroendocrinology. 2008; 87(1):20-30.