Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Emergency presentation of a giant paraoesophageal hernia- A case report
Amin Tanveer1,a, Sumeet Singh2,b, Asiri Arachchi3,c, Abhinav Vasudevan3,d
An emergency presentation of a paraoesophageal hernia with acute respiratory distress and an acute abdomen is a rare presentation.
Hereby, we are presenting a 73year old female who presented with an acute dyspnoea and acute bowel obstruction, the imaging revealed large paraoesophageal hernia almost collapsing the right lung, she had an emergency surgery, an anterior gastropexy was performed since she was unstable. Despite subsequent surgeries e.g Collis gastroplasty and mesh cruroplasty, patient developed recurrent hiatal hernia. Unfortunately, the patient ultimately passed away from a vancomycin resistant enterococci (VRE) bacteraemia and due to overwhelming medical comorbidities.
As presentation of paraoesophageal hernia with acute dyspnea and acute abdomen is a rare incidence, we discuss this and its management options through a case report.
Keywords: Hiatus hernia, paraoesophageal hernia (PEH), giant paraoesophageal hernia, Bowel obstruction, Acute respiratory distress.
How to cite this article:
Amin Tanveer, Sumeet Singh, Asiri Arachchi, Abhinav Vasudevan. Emergency presentation of a giant paraoesophageal hernia- A case report. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:57. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2018-12-1005
1. Mittal RK. Hiatal hernia: myth or reality? Am J Med. 1997;103:33S-39S.
2. Edelman D, Arroyo P, Unger S. Laparoscopic gastrostomy versus percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. Surg Endosc (1994) 8: 47-49
3. Edye M, Endres J, Gattorno F, Salky B. Durability of laparoscopic repair of paraoesophageal hernia. Annals of surgery. Vol 228. No 4. 528-535.
4. Bawahab M, Mitchell P, Church N, Debru E. Management of acute paraesophageal hernia. Surg. Endosc (2009)23:255-259.
5. Zhu J, Becerril G, Marasovic K, Ing A, Falk G. Laparoscopic repair of large hiatal hernia: impact on dyspnoea. Surg Endosc(2010)
6. Yano F, Stadlhuber RJ, Tsuboi K, Gerhardt J, Filipi CJ, Mittal SK (2009) Outcomes of surgical treatment of intrathoracic stomach. Dis Esophagus 22:284-288
7. Velanovich V, Karmy-Jones R (2001) Surgical management of paraesophageal hernias: outcome and quality of life analysis. Dig Surg 18:432-437; discussion 437-438
8. Pitcher DE, Curet MJ, Martin DT, Vogt DM, Mason J, Zucker KA (1995) Successful laparoscopic repair of paraesophageal hernia. Arch Surg 130:590-596
9. Cuschieri A, Shimi S, Nathanson LK (1992) Laparoscopic reduction, crural repair, and fundoplication of large hiatal hernia. Am J Surg 163:425-430
10. Ponsky J, Rosen M, Fanning A, Malm J. Anterior gastropexy may reduce the recurrence rate after laparoscopic paraoesophageal hernia repair.
11. Soricelli I, Basso N, Genco A, Cipriano M.Long term results of hiatal hernia mesh repair and ant reflux laparoscopic surgery. Surg. Endosc ( 2009) 23:2449-2504.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.