Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Orbital, subcutaneous, and subconjunctival emphysema following blow-out medial wall fracture
Ahmed A.1, Waris A.2, Rizvi S.A.1 , Haque O.I.1
1 MS Ophthalmology, Institute of Ophthalmology, Jnmch, AMU, Aligarh.
2 MS, Fico(UK), Fics(USA), Frcs(Glasg), Frcs(Edin), VR faculty, Institute of Ophthalmology, Jnmch, AMU, Aligarh.
A 40-year-old male presented to the emergency department with the complaint of a sudden, painful left eye and swelling after episodes of sneezing. A day earlier, he had sustained a blunt trauma to the left orbit as the result of a fall from motorcycle. The initial examination showed subcutaneous and subconjunctival emphysema. Visual acuity in the left eye was 20/40 (0.50), the pupils were reactive with no relative afferent pupillary defect, and there were limitations in levoduction, dextroduction, infraduction and supraduction. A slit-lamp examination revealed normal anterior and posterior segments with an intraocular pressure of 24mmHg. An orbital computed tomography scan showed orbital, subconjunctival, and subcutaneous emphysema associated with a small fracture of medial wall of the left eye. Following conservative management with broad-spectrum oral antibiotics, a topical antiglaucoma drug, low dose systemic steroid drug, and lubricating eye drops, the patient improved dramatically within one week.
Keywords: emphysema, orbital fracture, trauma
How to cite this article:
Ahmed A., Waris A., Rizvi S.A. , Haque O.I. Orbital, subcutaneous, and subconjunctival emphysema following blow-out medial wall fracture. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:60. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-01-1208
1. Aggarwal E, Coglan P, Madge SN, Selva D. Bilateral subconjunctival emphysema as a complication of pneumothorax. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2011;39:581–582.
2. JordanDR,WhiteGLJr,AndersonRL,TheiseSM.Orbitalemphysema: a potentially blinding complication following orbital fractures. Ann Emerg Med. 1988;17:853–855.
3. Balaji SM. Subcutaneous emphysema. Journal of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery. Available from: http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10. 1007%2Fs12663-010-0158-9#. Accessed April 16, 2013.
4. Cartwright MJ, Ginsburg RN, Nelson CC. Tension pneumoorbitus. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 1992;8:303–304.
5. Holt JE, Holt GR, Blodgett JM: Ocular injuries sustained during blunt facual trauma. Ophthalmology 1983;90:14
6. Seiff SR, Johnson RN, Morgan CM. Subconjunctival emphysema associated with mechanical ventilation. Arch Ophthalmol. 1985;103: 1277–1278.
7. Mathew S, Vasu U, Francis F, Nazareth C. Transconjunctival orbital emphysema caused by compressed air injury: a case report. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2008;56:247–249.
8. Biger Y, Abula a C. Subconjunctival emphysema due to trauma by compressed air tube. Br J Ophthalmol. 1986;70:227–228.
9. Li T, Mafee MF, Edward DP. Bilateral orbital emphysema from com- pressed air injury. Am J Ophthalmol. 1999;128:103–104.
10. Caesar R, Gajus M, Davies R. Compressed air injury of the orbit in the absence of external trauma. Eye (Lond). 2003;17:661–662.
11. WeberD,ShawS,WinslowJ.Traumaticeyeswelling.Subconjunctival and orbital emphysema with orbital oor fracture. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;54:635.
12. Carrim ZI, Anderson IW, Kyle PM. Traumatic orbital compartment syndrome: importance of prompt recognition and management. Eur J Emerg Med. 2007;14:174–176.
13. Reeves DL, Lucarelli MJ, Rose JG Jr. Severe subcutaneous emphy- sema following orbital blowout fracture. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005;21:465–467.
14. GrossJG,DoxanasMT.Traumaticopticatrophycausedbycompressed air. Ann Ophthalmol. 1987;19:69–70.
15. Hunts JH, Patrinely JR, Holds JB, Anderson RL. Orbital emphysema. Staging and acute management. Ophthalmology. 1994;101: 960–966.
16. Lee SL, Mills DM, Meyer DR, Silver SM. Orbital emphysema. Ophthalmology. 2006;113:2113. e1–e2.
17. Chak G, Joseph JM, Tao JP. Needle decompression of acute orbital emphysema: case report with video. Br J Ophthalmol. 2012;96: 1346–1347.
18. Bielicka W, Bieganowski L. Subconjunctival emphysema in a skin diver. Wias Lek 1981; 34: 1295-8.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.