Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Regional Anaesthesia for Lumbar Laminectomy- Case Series
Idehen H O, Agbonkhese G, ⃰ Obeta E C, Imarengiaye C O
Depts of Anaesthesiology and ⃰ Neurosurgery University of Benin Teaching Hospital Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria.
The use of central neuraxial anaesthesia for lumbar laminectomy is evolving in our centre with its attendant advantages like decrease in intraoperative blood loss, peri-operative cardiac ischemic incidents, postoperative hypoxic episodes, arterial and venous thrombosis, and it provides longer/ adequate postoperative pain control. Nonetheless, blindness a possible complication under general anaesthesia is preventable with regional anaesthesia, this is because patient is awake and there is no restriction in neck movement. This case series helps to provide feasibility of lumbar laminectomy under central neuraxial anaesthesia (spinal, epidural and combined spinal epidural anaesthesia).
Keywords: Central Neuraxial Block, Laminectomy, Lumbar
How to cite this article:
Idehen H O, Agbonkhese G, Obeta E C, Imarengiaye C O. Regional Anaesthesia for Lumbar Laminectomy- Case Series. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:73. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-03-0206
1. Cucchiara RF, Michenfelder JD. (1990) Clinical Neuroanesthesia. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1990. Vertebral column and spinal cord surgery; pp. 325–50.
2. JW Ditzler, PR Dumke, JJ Harrington, JD Fox (1959). Should spinal anaesthesia be used in surgery for herniated intervertebral disk? Analgesia and anaesthesia 3: 118-24.
3. John T Pierce, Guy Kositratna, Mark A Attiah, Michael J Kallan, Rebecca Koenigsberg, Peter Syre et al.(2017) Efficacy of spinal anaesthesia versus general anaesthesia for lumbar spinal surgery: A retrospective analysis of 544 patients. Local Reg Anesth. 10: 91–98.
4. Tetzlaff JE, Dilger JA, Kodsy M, al-Bataineh J, Yoon HJ , Bell GR. Spinal anaesthesia for elective lumbar spine surgery, J Clin Anesth. 1998 Dec; 10(8):666-9.
5. De Rojas JO, Syre P, Welch WC. (2014) Regional anaesthesia versus general anaesthesia on the lumbar spine for surgery on the lumbar spine: A review of the modern literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg: 1190:39-43.
6. Attari MA, Mirhosseini SA, Honarmand A, Safavi MR. Spinal anaesthesia versus general anaesthesia for elective lumbar spine surgery: A randomized clinical trial. J Res Med Sci 2011; 16:524-529.
7. Düger C, Gürsoy S, Karadağ O, Kol IÖ, Kaygusuz K, Özal H, et al. Anaesthetic and analgesic effects in patients undergoing a lumbar laminectomy of spinal, epidural or combine spinal epidural anaesthesia block with addition of morphine. J Clin Neurosci. 2012 19:406-10.
8. Jellish WS, Thalji Z, Stevenson K, Shea J (1996) A prospective randomized study comparing short and intermediate term perioperative outcome variables after spinal or general anesthesia for lumbar disk and laminectomy surgery. Anesth Analg. 1996; 83:559–64.
9. Horlocker TT, Cucchiara RF, Ebersold MJ (1990) Vertebral column and spinal cord surgery.In: Cucchiara RF, Michenfelder JD, eds. Clinical neuroanesthesia. New York:Churchill Livingstone, 1990:325-50
10. Mohammad RK, Mohammad AA, Abbas A (2013) General anaesthesia versus combined epidural/general anaesthesia for elective lumbar spine disc surgery. A randomized clinical trial comparing the impact of the two methods upon the outcome variable. Surg Neurol Int 4:105
11. Kiran LV, Radhika KS and Parthasarathy S. (2014) Lumbar laminectomy with segmental continuous epidural anaesthesia. Anesth Essays Res. May-Aug; 8: 236–38.
12. Greenbarg PE, Brown MD, Pallares VS, Tompkins JS, Mann NH (1988).Epidural anaesthesia for lumbar spine surgery. J spinal Disord 1:139-43.
13. Covino BG (1989) Rational for spinal anesthesia. Int Anesthesiol Clin 27:8-12.
14. Sadrolsadat SH, Mahdavi AR, Moharari RS, Khajavi MR, Khashayar P, Najafi A, et al. (2009) A prospective randomized trial comparing the technique of spinal and general anesthesia for lumbar disk surgery: a study of 100 cases. Surg Neurol. 71(1):60–5
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.