Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Traumatic Tooth Aspiration: Case Report and Review of the Literature
Georges El Hasbani1, Richard Assaker2, Jose Vargas Gamarra2, Christopher G Bertely2, Sami Rabah2, Jose Amaya Suarez2, Menachem Gold2
1American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
2Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx, New York, USA
In the setting of polytrauma, several foreign bodies could be aspirated, including avulsed teeth. Because a minimally responsive polytrauma patient could be at risk of airway compromise, emergency intubation is performed which can by itself lead to aspirated tooth. A complete dental examination is required to check for any fracture. A CT scan is the most sensitive modality for diagnosis. A rigid or flexible bronchoscopy is indicated for removal of the foreign bodies.
Keywords: Traumatic Tooth Aspiration, Case Report, Review
How to cite this article:
Georges El Hasbani, Richard Assa-ker, Jose Vargas Gamarra, Christo-pher G Bertely, Sami Rabah, Jose Amaya Suarez, Menachem Gold. Traumatic Tooth Aspiration: Case Report and Review of the Literature .International Journal of Case Re-ports, 2019 4:66. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-03-1805
1. Hefny AF, El-Ashaal Y, Ali YB, Abu-Zidan FM. Medical image. Aspiration of an incisor tooth in a poly-trauma patient. N Z Med J 2009;122:73-4
2. Sakellaridis T, Koulaxouzidis G, Panagiotou I, Kigka C, Papamichalis G, Antypas G. Aspiration of fixed dental prosthesis following maxillofacial trauma. Emerg Med J 2008;25:143.
3. Hefny AF, El-Ashaal Y, Ali YB, Abu-Zidan FM. Medical image. Aspiration of an incisor tooth in a poly-trauma patient. N Z Med J 2009;122:73-4.
4. Delap TG, Dowling PA, McGilligan T, et al. Bilateral pulmonary aspiration of intact teeth following maxillofacial trauma. Endod Dent Traumatol 1999;15:190–2
5. Leith R, Fleming P, Redahan S, et al. Aspiration of an avulsed primary incisor: a case report. Dent Traumatol 2008;24:e24–6
6. Madhere S, Barba CA, Painter RL, et al. Aspiration of shattered windshield glass after blind nasotracheal intubation in a motor vehicle crash. J Trauma 1997;43:353–6
7. Wilcox SR, Arbelaez C, Nadel ES, et al. Foreign body aspiration after high-velocity trauma. J Emerg Med 2009;37:411–14
8. Zhang M, Zhou GJ, Zhao S, et al. Delayed diagnosis of tooth aspiration in three multiple trauma patients with mechanical ventilation. Crit Care 2011;15:424.
9. Hefny AF, El-Ashaal Y, Ali YB, et al. Medical image. Aspiration of an incisor tooth in a poly-trauma patient. N Z Med J 2009;122:73–4
10. McIntosh GC, Steadman RK, Gross BD. Aspiration of an unerupted permanent tooth during maxillofacial trauma. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1982;40:448–50
11. Alabidi A. Aspiration of an incisor tooth after adenotonsillectomy in a 10-year-old Saudi boy. East Mediterr Health J 2008;14:228–30
12. Kenney JN, Laskin DM. Nasotracheal tube obstruction from a central incisor. Report of a case. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1989;67:266–7
13. Zerella JT, Dimler M, McGill LC, et al. Foreign body aspiration in children: value of radiography and complications of bronchoscopy. J Pediatr Surg 1998;33:1651–4
14. Alabidi A. Aspiration of an incisor tooth after adenotonsillectomy in a 10-year-old Saudi boy. East Mediterr Health J 2008;14:228-30.
15. Tiwana KK, Morton T, Tiwana PS. Aspiration and ingestion in dental practice: A 10-year institutional review. J Am Dent Assoc 2004;135:1287-91.
16. Nadjem H, Pollak S, Windisch W, Perdekamp MG, Thierauf A. Tooth aspiration: Its relevance in medicolegal autopsies. Forensic Sci Int 2010;200:e25-9.
17. Folch E, Mehta AC. Airway interventions in the tracheobronchial tree. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2008;29:441–52