Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Serious Staphylococcus Aureus Infection in a Patient with Diabetes Mellitus
Cátia Pereira, Joana Cascais Costa, Joana Coelho
Internal Medicine Departement – Centro Hospitalar Universitário de Coimbra
The immune system and metabolism are closely related and it is recognized that diabetes mellitus (DM) and its complications have a compromising impact on the degree of immunosuppression.
The authors present the case of a 65-year-old man with a history of type 2 DM and ulcers of the lower limbs who went to the emergency departament with odynophagia, dysphagia, fever and cervicalgia. He had a painful cervical and supraclavicular region and highly infectious parameters in blood samples. The cervical radiography suggested vertebral fusion and cervical computed tomography with soft tissue thickening, hypopharyngeal deviation and gaseous foci suggestive of abscess.
He started empiric antibiotic therapy and was performed an abscess drainage where Staphylococcus aureus oxacillin susceptible was isolated.
S. aureus bacteremias have a higher prevalence in diabetics, being essential the rapid orientation in situations of bacteremia to clarify the infectious focus and immediate onset of antibiotic therapy which decreases mortality.
Keywords: Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Imunosupression,Staphylococcus aureus
How to cite this article:
Cátia Pereira, Joana Cascais Costa, Joana Coelho. Serious Staphylococcus Aureus Infection in a Patient with Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:78. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-04-2905
1. Qiao Y, Shen J, He L, Hong X, Tian F, Pan Y et al. Changes of Regulatory T Cells and of Proinflammatory and Immunosuppressive Cytokines in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Diabetes Res, 2016; 2016: 1-19.
2. Rich J, Lee JC. The Pathogenesis of Staphylococcus aureus Infection in the Diabetic NOD Mouse. Diabetes, 2005; 54:2904-10.
3. Bhattacharyya S, Sinha C, Kumar N, Kumar S. Sepsis with Spreading Retropharyngeal Abscess in a Diabetic Patient with Acute Kidney Injury: A Case Report. National Journal of Laboratory Medicine, 2018; 7(2): MC01-MC03. DOI: 10.7860/NJLM/2018/35788:2286
4. Farnsworth CW, Shehatou CT, Maynard R, Nishitani K, Kates SL, Zuscik MJ et al. A Humoral Immune Defect Distinguishes the Response to Staphylococcus aureus Infections in Mice with Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes from That in Mice with Type 1 Diabetes. Infect Immun, 2015; 83:2264-74.
5. Smit J, Søgaard M, Schønheyder HC, Nielsen H, Frøslev Trine, Thomsen RW. Diabetes and risk of community-acquired Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: A population-based case-control study. Eur J Endocrinol, 2016; consultado 2017 Out 11 Disponível em: http://www.eje-online.org/content/early/2016/03/10/EJE-16-0023
6. Hakeem L, Laing RBS, Tonna I, Douglas JG, Mackenzie AR. Invasive Staphylococcus aureus infections in diabetes mellitus. Br J Diabetes Vasc Dis. 2013; 13:164–177.
7. Brito TP, Hazboun IM, Fernandes FL, Bento LR, Zappelini CEM, Chone CT et al. Deep neck abscesses: study of 101 cases. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol, 2017; 83(3):341-348.
8. Kökten N, Çam OH, Kılıçaslan A, Hanege FM, Uzun L, Tekin M. Retropharyngeal Abscess: Three Unusual Cases. J Otolaryngology ENT Res, 2016; 5(3): 00144. DOI: 10.15406/joentr.2016.05.00144
9. Afolabi OA, Fadare JO, Ogah SA, Oyewole EO (2014). Retropharyngeal Abscess in Diabetics:A Challenge e-book. [consultado 2018 Out 29]. Available in: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/310596596_Retropharyngeal_Abscess_in_DiabeticsA_Challenge
10. Katsman A. Retropharyngeal Abscess in a Patient with Diabetes Mellitus. Clinical Vignette. In: Proceedings of UCLA Healthcare -VOLUME 21 (2017).
11. Chalkiadakis V, George R, Georgios K, Michael A. Retropharingeal Abscess related to Hematogenous Dissemination. Int J Otorhinolaryngol, 2015; 7(2):85-87.
12. Lakshmi G, Rajesh KB. Clinical Assessment with Bacteriological Evaluation of Patients with Retropharyngeal Abscess in a Tertiary Hospital in Thiruvananthapuram. Int J Sci Study, 2017; 4(12).