Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
The torsed intraabdominal testis presenting with a mechanical large intestinal obstruction – A maiden case report
Mukesh Kumar Sangwan1, Vijayata Sangwan2, Mohinder Kumar Garg3, Deepak Singla4, Pushpender Malik5, Atul Khandelwal6
1Dept of surgery BPS Govt Med Coll For Women Khanpur Kalan Sonepat Haryana India 2Dept of Obs and Gynae BPS Govt Med Coll For Women Khanpur Kalan Sonepat Haryana India; 3Dept of surgery BPS Govt Med Coll For Women Khanpur Kalan Sonepat Haryana India; 4Dept of surgery BPS Govt Med Coll For Women Khanpur Kalan Sonepat Haryana India; 5Dept of surgery BPS Govt Med Coll For Women Khanpur Kalan Sonepat Haryana India; 6Dept of Urology BPS Govt Med Coll For Women Khanpur Kalan Sonepat Haryana India
Torsion of an intraabdominal testis is a well-known complication and is usually associated with a testicular malignancy. Torsed intraabdominal testis compressing the large bowel leading to a mechanical gut obstruction is still an unreported entity. A 27 years old young patient presenting with nonspecific abdominal pain after 48 hours of delay. Due to features of gut obstruction, an emergency laparotomy was done. A large torsed intraabdominal testis was found with an empty right scrotum which was compressing the sigmoid colon leading to a complete gut obstruction. Interestingly, two of his siblings also were also suffering from undescended testicles.
Keywords: torsed intraabdominal testis, mechanical large intestinal obstruction, case report
How to cite this article:
Mukesh Kumar Sangwan, Vijayata Sangwan, Mohinder Kumar Garg, Deepak Singla, Pushpender Malik, Atul Khandelwal. The torsed intraabdominal testis presenting with a mechanical large intestinal obstruction-A maiden case report . International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:82. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-06-2005
1. Khan AQ, Hazirah P, Dar WR, Thomas S, Ahmed I. Torsed intraabdominal testis mimicking acute appendicitis in a 60-year-old male. Int Surg J 2018; 5:336-8.
2. Papparella A, Romano M, Noviello C, Cobellis G, Nino F, Del Monaco C. The value of laparoscopy in the management of non-palpable testis. J Pediatr Urol 2010; 6:550-4.
3. Biondo S, Pares D, Frago R et al. large bowel obstruction: predictive factors for postoperative mortality. Dis Colon Rectum 2004;47(11):1889-97.
4. Bassiouny IE, Abbas TO, Alansari AN, Ali MA. Unique presentation of intra-abdominal testis: small bowel obstruction. ISRN Urol 2011:579153. doi:10.5402/2011/579153.
5. Kim CW, Min GE, Lee SH. Small bowel obstruction caused by cryptorchidism in an adult. Ann Surg Treat Res. 2017 Nov;93(5):281-283.
6. Denes FT, Saito FJ, Silva FA, Giron AM, Machado M, Arougi M. laparoscopic diagnosis and treatment f non palpable testis. Int Braz J Urol 2008; 34:329-34.
7. Ritzen EM. Undescended testis: a consensus on management. Eur J Endocrinol 2008: 159(1):587-90.
8. Naouar S, Braiek S, Kamel RE. testicular torsion in undescended testis: A persistent challenge. Asian J Urol 2017;4:111-5.
9. Johnson JH. The undescended testis. Arch Dis Child 1965; 40:113.
10. Duncan ND, Gabay L, Coard KC, Antoine M, McDonald A. torsion of an intra-abdominal testicle in a neonate: case report and review of the literature. West Indian Med J 1997; 46:126- 7.
11. Geng JH, Huang CN. Torsion of undescended testis: Clinical, Imaging and surgical findings. Urol Sci 2014; 25:31-4.
12. Toft P, Nikolajsen IL. Torsion of intraabdominal non-malignant testis: A case report. Acta Chur Scand 1986; 152:77-8.
13. Plitt DC, Fotos JS, Hulse MA, Neutze JA. Testicular ascent as a mechanism foe intraabdominal torsion. Radiol Case Rep 2010; 5:299.
14. Zilberman D., Inbar Y., Heyman Z., Shinhar D., Bilik R., Avigad I. Torsion of the cryptorchid testis—can it be salvaged? J Urol. 2006; 175:2287–2289.
15. Pogorelić Z., Mrklić I., Jurić I., Biočić M., Furlan D. Testicular torsion in the inguinal canal in children. J Pediatr Urol. 2013; 9:793–797.
16. Cimador M., DiPace M.R., Castagnetti M., DeGrazia E. Predictors of testicular viability in testicular torsion. J Pediatr Urol. 2007; 3:387–390.
17. Rouzrokh M., Mirshemirani A., Khaleghnejad-Tabari A. Outcomes of second look exploration in testicular torsion of children. Iran J Pediatr. 2015;25: e528.