Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Acute Coronary syndrome in a patient newly diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Neuropathy: a review of cardiovascular disease in this inherited neuropathy
Garrick Edouard Laudin1, Thomas De Beenhouwer2
1Department of Internal medicine: Kalafong Provincial Tertiary Hospital (University of Pretoria),University of Pretoria – Department of Internal Medicine, Kalafong Provincial Tertiary Hospital (Klinikala Building); 1 Klipspringer Street, Atteridgeville, Pretoria (South Africa), 0008
2Department of Cardiology: Steve Biko Academic Hospital (University of Pretoria)
Whilst we suspect that there is no clear association between the two major diagnoses we made in this patient during this hospitalisation (i.e. coronary artery disease and CMT neuropathy), the literature from a series of published case reports does perhaps show an association between CMT and abnormalities of cardiac conduction.
This case reports follows the occurrence of an antero-lateral ST segment elevation myocardial infarction in a 34-year-old male newly diagnosed with an inherited neuropathy in the form of Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 1A.
Keywords: Acute Coronary syndrome, Charcot-Marie-Tooth Neuropathy, cardiovascular disease
How to cite this article:
Garrick Edouard Laudin, Thomas De Beenhouwer. Acute Coronary syndrome in a patient newly diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Neuropathy: a review of cardiovascular disease in this inherited neuropathy. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:83. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-06-2405
1. Bird TD. Charcot-Marie-Tooth Neuropathy Type 1. 1998 Aug 31 [Updated 2015 Mar 26]. In: Adam MP, Ardinger HH, Pagon RA, et al., editors. GeneReviews® [Internet]. Seattle (WA): University of Washington, Seattle; 1993-2019. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1205/
2. Finsterer J, Stöllberger C. Heart Disease in Disorders of Muscle, Neuromuscular Transmission, and the Nerves. Korean Circulation Journal. 2016;46(2): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4805555/pdf/kcj-46-117.pdf (accessed 27 May 2019).
3. Leak D. Paroxysmal atrial flutter in peroneal muscular atrophy. Br Heart J 1961; 23(): .https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1017773/ (accessed 09 June 2019).
4. Littler WA. Heart block and peroneal muscular atrophy. A family study. Q J Med 1970; 39(155): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5478510 (accessed 09 June 2019).
5. Ponder BA, Chatterjee K, Sutton GC. Complete heart block in patients with peroneal muscular atrophy. Postgrad Med J. 1971; 47(551): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5098917 (accessed 09 June 2019)
6. Kay JM, Littler WA, Meade JB. Ultrastructure of myocardium in familial heart block and peroneal muscular atrophy.1972;34(10): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5086979 (accessed 09 June 2019).
7. Isner JM, Hawley RJ, Weintraub AM, Engel WK. Cardiac Findings in Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease. Archives of Internal Medicine 1979; 139(1161-1165). https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/599264 (accessed 27 May 2019).
8. Lowry PJ, Littler WA. Peroneal muscular atrophy associated with cardiac conducting tissue disease: further observations. Postgrad Med J 1983;59(694): . https://pmj.bmj.com/content/59/694/530.long (accessed 09 June 2019).
9. Martin-Du Pan RC, Juge C, Perrenoud JJ. Congestive cardiomyopathy and pyruvate elevation in a case of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Schweiz Med Wochenschr. 1984; 114(18):. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6539500 (accessed 11 June 2019).
10. Roelofse JA, Shipton EA. Anaesthesia for abdominal hysterectomy in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. A case report.. S Afr Med J 1985; 67(15): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3983744 (accessed 11 June 2019)
11. Rosselot E, Brinck G. Conduction system disease and Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome. Rev Med Chil 1989;117(8): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2519453 (accessed 09 June 2019).
12. Yoshida H, Inagaki M, Shukuya M, Ono S, Shimizu N, Doba N, Shimizu N, Sugano I, Nagao K. Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease associated with dilated cardiomyopathy: an autopsy case report. Kokyu To Junkan 1991; 39(3): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2047612 (accessed 09 June 2019).
13. Tanaka S, Tsuchida H, Namiki A. Epidural anesthesia for a patient with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, mitral valve prolapse syndrome and IInd degree AV block. Masui 1994; 43(6): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8072157 (accessed 09 June 2019).
14. Sevillano Fernández JA, Paz Fraile A, Cano Ballesteros JC, Villalba García MV, Otero Pérez R, Gilsanz Fernández C. Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, dilated myocardiopathy and cardiac conduction disorders. An Med Interna 1994; 11(9):. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7858092 (accessed 09 June 2019).
15. Rubinstein J, Moghe R, Mizrachi A, Dissin J. Triptan use preceding life-threatening arrhythmias in charcot-marie-tooth: a case report and review of the literature. Clin Neuropharmacol 2004; 27(1): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15090931 (accessed 09 June 2019).
16. Erentuğ V, Bozbuğa N, Akinci E, Yakut C. Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome and surgical management for left main coronary artery disease. J Card Surg 2004; 19(3): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15151653 (accessed 09 June 2019).
17. Corrado G, Checcarelli N, Santarone M, Stollberger C, Finsterer J. Left ventricular hypertrabeculation/noncompaction with PMP22 duplication-based Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1A. Cardiology 2006; 105(3): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16449811 (accessed 09 June 2019).
18. Shankar V, Markan S, Gandhi SD, Iqbal Z, Novalija J, Nicolosi AC et al. Perioperative Implications of Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease During Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2007; 21(4): . https://www.jcvaonline.com/article/S1053-0770(06)00324-7/pdf (accessed 09 June 2019).
19. Bui AH, Marco AP. Peripheral nerve blockade in a patient with Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. Can J Anaesth 2008;55(10): . https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03017751#citeas (accessed 09 June 2019).
20. Liang JJ, Grogan M, Ackerman MJ, Goodsell K. LMNA-Mediated Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy and Charcot-Marie-Tooth Type 2B1: A Patient-Discovered Unifying Diagnosis. 2016;27(7): . https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/jce.12984 (accessed 11 June 2019).
21. Abdul TY, Schneider AE, Cetta F, Driscoll DJ. Fontan Failure Secondary to Charcot-Marie-Tooth–Induced Phrenic Neuropathy. Tex Heart Inst J 2018; 45(4): . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6183634/ (accessed 09 June 2019).