Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Penile Fracture – Case Series
1Ann Rhoda Abraham, 2Narayanasami Bharath, 3Arcot Rekha
1Junior resident, Saveetha medical college and hospital
2Assistant professor, Saveetha medical college and hospital
3Professor, Saveetha medical college and hospital
Fracture of the penis is a misnomer, the cause being rupture of one or both of the tunica albuginea that covers the corpora cavernosa. It usually occurs following sexual intercourse or masturbation. Here we report 2 cases of penile fracture in our institution. Ultrasonography was done which confirmed the diagnosis. In both the cases, the urethra was intact. Exploration with evacuation of the hematoma and repair of the tunica albuginea was done.
Keywords: Penile fracture, penile trauma, corpora cavernosa rupture, penile anatomy, tunica albuginea, eggplant deformity, faux pas du coit, cavernosography
How to cite this article:
Ann Rhoda Abraham, Narayanasami Bharath, Arcot Rekha. Penile Fracture – Case Series. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:87. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-07-0805
1. Nicholas A. Boncher, Gino J. Vricella, Jason T. Jankowski, Lee E. Ponsky, and Edward E. Cherullo, “Penile Fracture with Associated Urethral Rup-ture,” Case Reports in Medicine, vol. 2010, Article ID 791948, 3 pages, 2010.
2. Amer, T., Wilson, R., Chlosta, P., AlBuheissi, S., Qazi, H., Fraser, M., Aboumarzouk, O.M., (2016) ‘Penile Fracture: A Meta-Analysis’, Urol Intl, 2016 Urol Int. 2016;96(3):315-29. doi: 10.1159/000444884. Epub 2016 Mar 9
3. Faydaci, G., Ozgul, A., Kuyumcuoglu, U., Aktoz, T., Oder, M., (2016) ‘Dorsal vein rupture after practice of taqaandan, necrotising cavernositis, penile recon-struction, urethroplasty and penile prosthesis implantation.’, Andrologia. 2012 May;44 Suppl 1:851-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2011.01259.x. Epub 2011 Dec 18
4. Majzoub AA, Canguven O, Raidh TA. Alteration in the etiology of penile frac-ture in the Middle East and Central Asia regions in the last decade; a literature review. Urol Ann. 2015;7(3):284–288.
5. Fernandes MAV, de Souza LRMF, Cartafina LP. Ultrasound evaluation of the penis. Radiol Bras. 2018;51(4):257–261.
6. Harbiyeli, M. , Abol-Enein, H. and Johansen, T. (2017) Diagnosis and Treat-ment of Penile Fractures: A Single Center Series. Open Journal of Urology, 7, 31-39.
7. Jack GS, Garraway I, Reznichek R, Rajfer J. Current treatment options for penile fractures. Rev Urol. 2004 Summer;6(3):114-20.
8. Kamdar, C., Mooppan, U.M.M., Kim, H., Gulmi, F.H., (2008) ‘Penile fracture: preoperative evaluation and surgical technique for optimal patient out-come’, BJU International, 102(11), pp. 1640-1644
9. El-Assmy, A., El-Tholoth, HS., Abou-El-Ghar, M.E., Mohsen, T., Ibrahiem, E.H., (2012) ‘Risk factors of erectile dysfunction and penile vascular changes after surgical repair of penile fracture’, Int J Impot Res. 2012 Jan-Feb;24(1):20-5.
10. Jack GS, Garraway I, Reznichek R, Rajfer J. Current treatment options for penile fractures. Rev Urol. 2004 Summer;6(3):114-20.