Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
A rare case of Warthin-like papillary thyroid carcinoma associated to Graves’ disease
Olfa Adounia, Imen Zawatia , Sabrine Boukhrisb, Ilhem Bettaieba, Fatma Tekaria, Aida Gouchaa, riadh charguib, Amor Gamoudia, Khaled Rahalb
aDepartement of Immuno-Histo-Cytology, Salah Azaiez Institute, Tunis, Tunisia.
bDepartment of surgical oncology, Salah Azaiez Institute, Tunis, Tunisia.
Warthin-like variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma (WLV-PTC) is a recently described rare variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma with favorable prognosis. We present a rare case of WLV-PTC in a 29-year-old female patient with graves’ disease along with emphasis on the difficulty of positive diagnosis both clinically and histologically since the association of thyroid nodules with Graves’ disease is not common and this variant of thyroid cancer is frequently misdiagnosed with other subtypes.
Keywords: graves’disease, thyroid cancer, warthin-like variant.
How to cite this article:
Olfa Adouni, Imen Zawati , Sabrine Boukhris, Ilhem Bettaieb, Fatma Tekari, Aida Goucha, riadh chargui, Amor Gamoudi, Khaled Rahal. A rare case of Warthin-like papillary thyroid carcinoma associated to Graves’ disease . International Journal of Case Reports, 2020 4:112. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-09-1407
1. Staniforth JU, Erdirimanne S, Eslick GD. Thyroid carcinoma in Graves’ disease: a meta-analysis. International Journal of Surgery, 2016; 27: 118-125.
2. Smith TJ, Hegedüs L. Graves’ disease. New England Journal of Medicine, 2016; 375: 1552-1565.
3. Pohl M, Grabellus F, Worm K et al. Intermediate microRNA expression profile in Graves’ disease falls between that of normal thyroid tissue and papillary thyroid carcinoma. Journal of clinical pathology, 2017; 70: 33-39.
4. Hirokawa M, Nishihara E, Takada N et al. Warthin-like papillary thyroid carcinoma with immunoglobulin G4-positive plasma cells possibly related to Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Endocrine journal, 2017; 65: 175-180.
5. Jun HH, Kim SM, Hong SW et al. Warthin‐like variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma: single institution experience. ANZ journal of surgery, 2016; 86: 492-494.
6. Yeo M-k, Bae JS, Lee S et al. The Warthin-like variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma: a comparison with classic type in the patients with coexisting Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. International journal of endocrinology, 2015; 2015.
7. Kim GR, Shin JH, Hahn SY et al. Ultrasonographic features and clinical characteristics of Warthin-like variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma. Endocrine journal, 2016; 63: 329-335.
8. Sak SD. Variants of papillary thyroid carcinoma: multiple faces of a familiar tumor. Turk Patoloji Derg, 2015; 31: 34-47.