Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy in the supine flank free modified position for the removal of a 3 year Double-J ureteral stent in a horseshoe kidney
Michael Nomikos, Sarantis Papanikolaou, Anastasios Tsalavoutas, George Koritsiadis, George Athanassopoulos
FEBU, EAU, HUA
Horseshoe kidney is one of the most common congenital renal abnormalities with increased incidence of stone formation. We present a case of an HIV seropositive patient with a both-ends encrustated 3 year forgotten DJ stent and a staghorn stone in the left moiety of a horseshoe kidney. He was treated with percutaneous nephrolithotomy in the supine flank free modified position and simultaneous cystolitholapaxy. Supine percutaneous nephrolithotomy is safe and feasible in horseshoe kidney and facilitates simultaneous thansurethral access for cystolitholapaxy.
Keywords: Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy; supine flank free modified position; 3 year Double-J ureteral stent; horseshoe kidney
How to cite this article:
Michael Nomikos, Sarantis Papanikolaou, Anastasios Tsalavoutas, George Koritsiadis, George Athanassopoulos. Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy in the supine flank free modified position for the removal of a 3 year Double-J ureteral stent in a horseshoe kidney. International Journal of Case Reports, 2019 4:104. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2019-11-0406
1. Soroush Rais-Bahrami, Justin I. Friedlander, Brian D. Duty, Zeph Okeke and Arthur D. Smith. Difficulties with access in percutaneous renal surgery. Ther Adv Urol (2011) 3(2) 5968
2. Kamphuis GM1, Baard J, Westendarp M, de la Rosette JJ. Lessons learned from the CROES percutaneous nephrolithotomy global study. World J Urol. 2015 Feb;33(2):223-33.
3. Valdivia Uría JG, Valle Gerhold J, López López JA, et.al. Technique and complications of percutaneous nephroscopy: experience with 557 patients in the supine position. J Urol. 1998 Dec;160(6 Pt 1):1975-8.
4. G. Ibarluzea, C.M. Scoffone, C.M. Cracco, M. Poggio, F. Porpiglia, C. Terrone, et al. Supine valdivia and modified lithotomy position for simultaneous anterograde and retrograde endourological access. BJU Int, 100 (2007), pp. 233-236
5. Nadeem Sohail, Amjad Albodour, Khalid M. Abdelrahman et al: Supine percutaneous nephrolithotomy in horseshoe kidney, Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences (2017) 12(3), 261e264.
6. Bach A. Goyal P. Kumar S. Kachrilas A.G. Papatsoris N. Buchholz J. Masood. The Barts ‘Flank-Free’ Modified Supine Position for Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy. Urol. Int. 2012;89:365–368
7. Fabio C.M. Torricelli, Manoj Monga, Vinicius Dall’Aqua et al: Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy in Immunocompromised Patients: Outcomes from a Matched Case–Control Study, Journal of Endourology Volume 30, Number 12, December 2016