Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Retained Penile Ring: Case Reports
Odusanya Benjamin Olasunkanmi1, Omisanjo Olufunmilade Akinfolarin2, Salami Olayinka Abdurraheem3, Saliu Abdulwaid Niran4
1Consultant urologist, Department of Surgery, General Hospital, Marina, Lagos; 2Consultant urologist, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital; 3Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon, Department of Orthopaedics, General Hospital, Marina, Lagos; 4Consultant urologist, Department of Surgery, General Hospital, Marina, Lagos.
Background: Penile constriction rings have been used to prolong erection with vacuum devices in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. Some have also employed it for recreational purposes with the attendant risks of penile edema, strangulation and necrosis. We present two cases of entrapped phallus by penile rings.
Case reports: 16 years old with pain and swelling of the phallus of 12 hours duration. This started after placement of a phallic ring to purportedly prolong erection which he was later unable to remove the ring despite several attempts and developed progressive swelling and pain in the phallus. He was also unable to pass urine. Examination revealed a circumcised phallus that was detumescent but grossly edematous, tender with shiny skin. Initial simple manoeuvres in the casualty proved abortive and ring had to be cut with an orthopaedic instrument. He was subsequently able to void without difficulty or any haematuria. 47 year old Asian male with a 12 hour history of penile pain and swelling following entrapment of a penile ring he had inserted for sexual gratification about 24 hours before presentation. There was a history of haematuria. The removal of the penile ring was achieved with a combination of cold compress squeeze, corporal aspiration and lubrication under general anaesthesia.
Conclusion: Successful management of retained penile ring depends on early presentation by the patient to avoid adverse outcomes. It may require instruments not normally found in the urologist armamentarium.
Keywords: penile ring, penile constriction devices, penile incarceration, penile foreign bodies
How to cite this article:
Odusanya Benjamin Olasunkanmi, Omisanjo Olufunmilade Akinfolarin, Salami Olayinka Abdurraheem, Saliu Abdulwaid Niran. Retained Penile Ring: Case Reports. International Journal of Case Reports, 2020 4:116. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2020-01-1905
1. Singh I, Joshi MK, Jaura MS. Strangulation of penis by a ball bearing device. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7(11):3793-7.
2. Agu TC, Obiechina N. Post coital penile ring entrapment: A report of a non-surgical extrication method. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports. 2016;18:15-7.
3. El Salam A, Ahmed M, Gamal A, Elenany H. Bone cutting forceps: a safe approach for saving strangulated penis. Case Reports in Medicine. 2016;2016.
4. Omisanjo OA, Ojewuyi O, Abolarinwa A, Akinola O, Omorinde M, Oshodi O, et al. The fire service for the removal of a metallic penile constricting device: a ready help when all else fail. Case Reports in Urology. 2018;2018.
5. Ivanovski O, Stankov O, Kuzmanoski M, Saidi S, Banev S, Filipovski V, et al. Penile strangulation: two case reports and review of the literature. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2007;4(6):1775-80.
6. Okeke LI. Thread embedded into penile tissue over time as an unusual hair thread tourniquet injury to the penis: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2008;2(1):230.
7. Lingaraju N, Arunkumar U, Dundappa S, Sali S. Penile strangulation by a hard plastic bottle neck: a case report. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2013;2(19):3335-40.
8. Koifman L, Hampl D, Silva MI, Pessoa PGA, Ornellas AA, Barros R. Treatment Options and Outcomes of Penile Constriction Devices. International Braz J Urol. 2019;45(2):384-91.
9. Bhat AL, Kumar A, Mathur SC, Gangwal KC. Penile strangulation. British journal of urology. 1991;68(6):618-21. Epub 1991/12/01.
10. Silberstein J, Grabowski J, Lakin C, Goldstein I. Penile constriction devices: case report, review of the literature, and recommendations for extrication. The Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2008;5(7):1747-57.
11. Noh J, Kang TW, Heo T, Kwon DD, Park K, Ryu SB. Penile strangulation treated with the modified string method. Urology. 2004;64(3):591.
12. Olajide AO, Eziyi AK, Olajide FO, Beyioku BK. Novel surgical extrication of penile constricting metal ring: A case report. International Journal of Case Reports and Images. 2013;4(9):511-4.