Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Mucin-producing papillary thyroidal carcinoma with unusual histology: A rare case report
Kimihide Kusafuka, D.D.S., Ph.D.1, Masaru Yamashita, M.D., Ph.D.2
1Department of Pathology, and 2Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Shizuoka General Hospital, Shizuoka, Japan
Background: Although mucinous carcinoma or mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the thyroid gland are an extremely rare but an established entity, papillary thyroidal carcinoma (PTC) with mucin production is also exceedingly rare.
Case report: We reported one rare case of mucin producing PTC with unusual histology. The patient was 71 years-old Japanese man. The hemi-thyroidectomy was performed. Histologically, the tumor cells harbored the similar features with conventional PTC, but this case indicated extracellular and intracellular mucin. On the other hand, the tumor showed cystic-papillary or cribriform growth of the columnar tumor cells.
Conclusions: We diagnosed it as mucin-producing PTC with columnar cell variant (CCV). We examined it immunohistochemically, and this case expressed TTF-1, thyroglobulin, and cytokeratin (CK)7, but was negative for HBME-1. We discuss on the differential diagnosis.
Abbreviations: CCV, columnar cell variant; CDX-2, caudal family of homeobox transcription factor-2; CK, cytokeratin; EMA, epithelial membrane antigen; ETV6, translocation-Ets-leukaemia virus-6; FISH, fluorescence in situ hybridization; LMWK, low-molecular-weight keratin; MAML2, masterminded-like protein 2; MASC, mammary analogue-secretory carcinoma; MEC, mucoepidermoid carcinoma; PTC, papillary thyroidal carcinoma; TGB, thyroglobulin; TTF-1, thyroid transcription factor-1
Keywords: papillary carcinoma, thyroid gland, mucins, FISH, columnar cell variant
How to cite this article:
Kimihide Kusafuka, Masaru Yamashita. Mucin-producing papillary thyroidal carcinoma with unusual histology: A rare case report . International Journal of Case Reports, 2020 4:131. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2020-03-2905
1. M. Sobrinho Simoes, J.M. Cameselle Teijerio, T. Kondo . “Mucinous carcinoma” Chapter 2: Tumours of the thyroid gland. In R.V. Lloyd, R.Y. Osamura, G. Kloppel, J. Rosai (Eds.) Pathology of the endocrine tumours World Health Organization classification, Lyon, France: IARC Press, 2017, p121
2. J.M. Cameselle Teijeiro, J. Albores Saaveeda, Z.W. Baloch, M. Sobrinho Simoes, B.M. Wenig. “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma” Chapter 2: Tumours of the thyroid gland. In R.V. Lloyd. R.Y. Osamura, G. Kloppel, J. Rosai (Eds.) Pathology of the endocrine tumours World Health Organization classification, Lyon, France: IARC Press, 2017, pp117-118.
3. M.L. Mlynek, H.J. Richter, L.D. Leder. Mucin in carcinomas of the thyroid. Cancer 56 (1985) 2647-2650.
4. G.S. Zaatari, P.E. Saigo, A.G. Huvos. Mucin production in medullary carcinoma of the thyroid. Arch Pathol Lab Med 107 (1983) 70-74.
5. S. Squillaci , A. Pitino , C. Spairani , M. Ferrari , E. Carlon, M.F. Cosimi. Mucinous variant of follicular carcinoma of the thyroid gland: Case report and review of the literature. Int J Surg Pathol 24 (2016) 170-176.
6. M. Bongiovanni, M. Mermod, S. Canberk, C. Saglietti, G.P. Sykiotis, M. Pusztaszeri, M. Ragazzi, L. Mazzucchelli, L. Giovanella, S. Piana . Columnar cell variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma: cytomorphological characteristics of 11 cases with histological correlation and literature review. Cancer Cytopathol 125 (2017) 389-397.
7. S. Dogan, L. Wang, R.N. Ptashkin, R.R. Dawson, J.P. Shah, E.J. Sherman, R. Muchael Tuttle, J.A. Fagin, D.S. Klimstra, N. Katabi, R.A. Ghossein. Mammary analog secretory carcinoma of the thyroid gland: A primary thyroid adenocarcinoma harboring ETV6-NTRK3 fusion. Mod Pathol 29 (2016) 985-995.