Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Gastric schwannoma: a case report and review of literature
Ahmad Abuamr1, Moamena Ahmed El-Matbouly1,2, Hussien Aly Touny1, Ahmed Zuhair AlBahrani 1, Ahmed Mohammed Suliman1,2
1Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, Qatar
2Weill Cornell Medical College, Doha, Qatar
Background: Schwannoma is a rare mesenchymal tumor, that arise from the Schwan cells of the nerve sheath. Schwannoma in the gastrointestinal tract is a very uncommon finding, with the stomach being the most common location. Preoperative diagnosis is difficult due to the wide variety of other mesenchymal tumors, definitive diagnosis is after histopathological examination and immunohistochemical staining of the specimen.
Case presentation: We are presenting a rare case of stomach schwannoma, in a 50-year-old male who presented with urological complaints. He had a CT scan that incidentally showed a polypoidal gastric mass.
Discussion: Schwannomas generally present asymptomatically; however, in some cases they can cause abdominal discomfort, pain or digestive symptoms. The definitive diagnosis of gastric schwannomas is determined by pathological examination of the surgically removed specimen.
Conclusion: Schwannoma usually runs a benign course with excellent prognosis, yet there are very few reported cases of Malignant GI schwannoma. Benign or malignant, until now the treatment of choice is surgical excision with free margin.
Keywords: gastric schwannoma, benign schwannoma, malignant schwannoma, excellent prognosis.
How to cite this article:
Ahmad Abuamr, Moamena Ahmed El-Matbouly, Hussien Aly Touny, Ahmed Zuhair AlBahrani, Ahmed Mohammed Suliman.Gastric schwannoma: a case report and review of literature. International Journal of Case Reports, 2020 4:137. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2020-05-2005
1. Levy AD, Quiles AM, Miettinen M, et al. Gastroin-testinal schwannomas: CT features with clinico-pathologic correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;184:797–802.
2. Lin CS, Hsu HS, Tsai CH, Li WY, Huang MH. Gastric Schwannoma. J Chin Med Assoc 2004;67(11):583–586
3. Hou YY, Tan YS, Xu JF, et al. Schwannoma of the gastrointestinal tract: a clinicopathological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study of 33 cases. Histopathology. 2006;48:536–45.
4. Oh SJ, Suh BJ, Park JK. Gastric schwannoma mimicking malignant gastrointestinal stromal tu-mor exhibiting increased fluorodeoxyglucose up-take. Case Rep Oncol. 2016;9:228–34.
5. Zheng L, Wu X, Kreis ME, et al. Clinicopatholog-ical and immunohistochemical characterisation of gastric schwannomas in 29 cas-es.Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2014;2014:202960.
6. McNeer G, Pack GT, eds. Neoplasms of the stomach. Philadephia: J.B Lippincott;1974. pp 518-540.
7. Miettinen M, Shekitka KM, Sobin LH. Schwan-nomas in the colon and rectum: a clinicopatho-logic and immunohistochemical study of 20 cas-es.Am J Surg Pathol. 2001;25:846–55.
8. Zhang K, Qu S, Cheng Y, et al. A case report of rectal schwannoma treated with laparoscopic proctectomy. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97:e9866.
9. Y. Daimaru, H. Kido, H. Hashimoto, and M. En-joji, “Benign schwannoma of the gastrointestinal tract: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochem-ical study,” Human Pathology, vol. 19,no. 3, pp. 257–264, 1988.
10. Loffeld RJ, Balk TG, Oomen JL, van der Putten AB. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to a ma-lignant Schwannoma of the stomach.Eur J Gas-troenterol Hepatol. 1998 Feb; 10(2):159-62.
11. Bohlok, M. El Khoury, A. Bormans et al., “Schwannoma of the colon and rectum: a sys-tematic literature review,” World Journal of Surgi-cal Oncology, vol. 16, no. 1, p. 125, 2018.
12. Inagawa S, Hori M, Shimazaki J, Matsumoto S, Ishii H, Itabashi M et al. Solitary schwannoma of the colon: report of two cases. Surg Today 2001;31(9):833–838
13. Shah AS, Rathi PM, Somani VS, Mulani AM. Gastric Schwannoma: A Benign Tumor Often Misdiagnosed as Gastrointestinal Stromal Tu-mor. Clin Pract. 2015;5(3):775. Published 2015 Oct 12. doi:10.4081/cp.2015.775
14. Darrouzet V, Martel J, Enee V, Bebear JP, Guerin J. Vestibular schwannoma surgery out-comes: our multidisciplinary experience in 400 cases over 17 years. Laryngoscope 2004;114(4):681–688.
15. Rha SE, Byun JY, Jung SE, Chun HJ, Lee HG, and Lee JM. Neurogenic tumors in the abdomen: tumor types and imaging characteristics. Radio-graphics 2003;23(1):29–43
16. Seno K, Itoh M, Endoh K, Joh T, Yokoyama Y, Takeuchi et al. Schwannoma of the duodenum causing melena. Intern Med 1994;33(10):621–623
17. Whitehead R, ed. Gastrointestinal and Oesopha-geal Pathology. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Churchill Livingston, 1989
18. MysorekarVV, Rao SG, JalihalU, SridharM. Schwannoma of the ascending colon. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2010;53(1):198–200
19. Bruneton JN, Drouillard J, Roux P, et al. Neuro-genic tumors of the stomach. Report of 18 cas-es and review of the literature. Rofo. 1983;139:192–8.
20. M. He, R. Zhang, F. Zhai et al., “Comparative study on computed tomography features of gas-trointestinal schwannomas and gastrointestinal stromal tumors,” Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1020–1025, 2015.
21. R. Nonose, A. Y. Lahan, J. Santos Valenciano, and C. A. R. Martinez, “Schwannoma of the co-lon,” Case Reports in Gastroenterology,vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 293–299, 2009.
22. H. J. Kim, C. H. Kim, S. W. Lim, J. W. Huh, Y. J. Kim, and H. R.Kim, “Schwannoma of ascending colon treated by laparoscopic right hemicolec-tomy,” World Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 10, no. 1, p. 81, 2012.
23. S. Prévot, L. Bienvenu, J. C. Vaillant, and P. P. de Saint-Maur, “Benign schwannoma of the di-gestive tract: a clinicopathologic and immuno-histochemical study of five cases, including a case of esophageal tumor,” The American Jour-nal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 431–436, 1999.
24. Shu Z, Li C, Sun M, Li Z. Intestinal schwannoma: A clinicopathological, immunohistochemical, and prognostic study of 9 cases. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2019;2019. doi:10.1155/2019/3414678
25. Tomozawa S, Masaki T, Matsuda K, et al. A schwannoma of the cecum: case report and re-view of japanese schwannomas in the large in-testine. J Gastroenterol 1998;33:872–5.
26. Sarlomo-Rikala M, Miettinen M. Gastric schwan-noma: a clinicopathological analysis of six cas-es. Histopathology 1995;27: 355-60
27. Takemura M, Yoshida K, Takii M, et al. Gastric malignant schwannoma presenting with upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2012;6:37.
28. G. Catania, C. Puleo, F. Cardì, F. Catalano, A. Iuppa, and A. Buffone, “Malignant schwannoma of the rectum: a clinical and pathological contri-bution,” Chirurgia Italiana, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 873–877, 2001.
29. J. L. Hornick, E. A. Bundock, and C. D. M. Fletcher, “Hybrid schwannoma/perineurioma: clinicopathologic analysis of 42 distinctive be-nign nerve sheath tumors,” The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1554–1561, 2009.
30. Altuna X, Lopez JP, Yu MA, Arandazi MJ, Harris JP, Wang-Rodriguez J, An Y, Dobrow R, Doherty JK, Ongkeko WM: Potential role of Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec°, STI-571) in the treatment of vestibular schwannoma. Otol Neu-rotol 2011, 32(1):163-170.
31. Atmatzidis S, Chatzimavroudis G, Dragoumis D, et al. Gastric schwannoma: a case report and lit-erature review.
32. Voltaggio L, Murray R, Lasota J, Miettinen M. Gastric schwannoma: a clinicopathologic study of 51 cases and critical review of the litera-ture. Hum Pathol. 2012;43(5):650‐659. doi:10.1016/j.humpath.2011.07.006
33. Tao LP, Huang EJ, Li P, Lu YY. Schwannoma of stomach: a clinicopathologic study of 12 cas-es. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2018;11(3):1679‐1683. Published 2018 Mar 1.
34. Li B, Liang T, Wei L, et al. Endoscopic interven-tional treatment for gastric schwannoma: a sin-gle-center experience. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2014;7(10):6616‐6625. Published 2014 Sep 15.
35. Kwon MS, Lee SS, Ahn GH. Schwannomas of the gastrointestinal tract: clinicopathological fea-tures of 12 cases including a case of esophage-al tumor compared with those of gastrointestinal stromal tumors and leiomyomas of the gastroin-testinal tract. Pathol Res Pract. 2002;198:605–13.
36. Prevot S, Bienvenu L, Vaillant JC, de Saint-Maur PP. Benign schwannoma of the digestive tract: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of five cases, including a case of esoph-ageal tumor. Am J Surg Pathol 1999; 23:431-436
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.