Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
SURGICAL PRACTICE IN A MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL IN COVID TIMES
Rekha A1, Dinesh KB2, Sivarahini3, Arihanth Ravichandran4
1Dr Rekha Arcot MS,FRCS(G). Professor of surgery. Saveetha Medical College. Saveetha Institute of Medical AND Technical Sciences, Tamil Nadu. 2Senior Resident in surgery. Saveetha Medical College. Saveetha Institute of Medical AND Technical Sciences. 3Juniro Resident in surgery. Saveetha Medical College. Saveetha Institute of Medical AND Technical Sciences. 4Medical student. Saveetha Medical College. Saveetha Institute of Medical AND Technical Sciences.
Introduction: We studied the incidence of surgical admissions in our hospital and the presentation of COVID patients
Results: Of the 190 patients who were admitted during the lockdown period, 5 patients were COVID positive. Soft tissue infections especially diabetic foot and appendicitis were the common presentations
Conclusion: The theory of obliterative emboli could account for the overall surgical presentations seen due to COVID 19.
Keywords: COVID 19; Surgery; emergency
How to cite this article:
Rekha A, Dinesh KB, Sivarahini, Arihanth Ravichandran. SURGICAL PRACTICE IN A MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL IN COVID TIMES. International Journal of Case Reports, 2020; 4:152. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2020-07-1905
1. Alberto Patriti, Emilio Eugeni, and Francesco Guerra What happened to surgical emergencies in the era of COVID-19 outbreak? Considerations of surgeons working in an Italian COVID-19 red zone Updates Surg. 2020 Apr 23: 1–2.doi: 10.1007/s13304-020-00779-6 [Epub ahead of print]
2. 2) J Lee , J Y Choi , M S Kim Elective surgeries during the COVID-19 outbreak Br J Surg. 2020 Jul;107(8):e250. doi: 10.1002/bjs.11697. Epub 2020 May 14.
3. Women and girls face greater dangers during the CoVID pandemic says the MSF in its newsletter https://www.msf.org/women-and-girls-face-greater-dangers-during-covid-19-pandemic
4. Bernardi L et al., Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on general surgery training program: An Italian experience, The American Journal of Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2020.06.010
5. COVID-19: guidance for triage of non-emergent surgical procedures. American College of surgeons. 2020. https://www.facs.org/covid-19/clinical-guidance/triage Available from:
6. Federico Coccolini, Gennaro Perrone, Fausto Catena Surgery in COVID-19 patients: operational directives World Journal of Emergency Surgery volume 15, Article number: 25 (2020)
7. Ahmed Abdalhadi,Mohammed Alkhatib,Ahmad Y. Mismar,Waleed Awouda,and Loai Albarqouni Can COVID 19 present like appendicitis? IDCases. 2020; 21: e00860.
CC BY 4.0
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.