Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Meningoencephalitis in a Child with Mycoplasma Pneumonia
J. Kelly Smith, MD, FACP
Departments of Academic Affairs and Biomedical Sciences, James H. Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614
The patient is a 15-year-old girl who presented with a 4-day history of fever, a persistent cough, and x-ray evidence of a right middle lobe pneumonia. On day 10 of her illness, at a time when she was afebrile and her pneumonia had cleared, she developed a severe headache and within hours lapsed into coma. Cerebral spinal fluid analysis and serological tests were diagnostic of a post-infectious meningoencephalitis due to Mycoplasma pneumoniae.
Keywords: Meningoencephalitis; Mycoplasma Pneumonia
How to cite this article:
J. Kelly Smith. Meningoencephalitis in a Child with Mycoplasma Pneumonia. International Journal of Case Reports, 2020; 4:156. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2020-08-2106
1. D’Alonzo R, Mencaroni E, Di Genova L, Laino D, Principi N, Esposito S. Pathogenesis and treatment of neurologic diseases associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection. Front Micro-biol. 9:2751. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2018.02751.
2. Lee S-C, Youn Y-S, Rhim J-W, Kang J-H, Lee K-Y. Early serologic diagnosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia: an observational study on changes in titers of specific-IgM antibodies and cold agglutinins. Medicine. 2016; 95(19): 1-6.
3. Medjo B, Atanaskovic-Markovic M, Radic S, Nikolic D, Lukac M, Djukic S. Mycoplasma pneumoniae as a causative agent of community-acquired pneumonia in children: clinical features and laboratory diagnosis. Ital J Pediatr. 2014, 40:104. http://www.ijponline.net/content/40/1/104.
4. Beersma MFC, Dirven K, van Dam AP, Templeton KE, Claas ECJ, Goossens H. Evaluation of 12 commercial tests and the complement fixation test for Mycoplasma pneumoniae-specific immunoglobulin G (IgG) and IgM antibodies, with PCR used as the “Gold Standard”. J Clin Microbiol. 2005; 43(5): 2277-2285.
5. Bitnun A, Ford-Jones EL, Petric M, MacGregor D, Heuter H, Nelson S, et. al. Acute childhood encephalitis and Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Clin Infect Dis. 2001; 32:1674-1684.
6. Yimenicioğlu S, Yakut A, Ekici A, Carman KB, Dinleyici EC. Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection with neurologic complications. Iran J Pediatr. 2014; 24(5). http://ijp.tums.ac.ir.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.