Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
A CASE OF UPPER LIMB DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS IN A KNOWN HIV PATIENT WITH NON HODGKINS LYMPHOMA
Dr. Abolarin Ademola Toyosi,MBBS, FMCPATH1*, Dr. Olufemi-Aworinde Kehinde Joyce, MBBS, FWACP, FMCPATH1, Dr. Olutogun Toluwalase, MBBS, FWACP, FMCPATH1
1Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Bowen University Teaching Hospital, Ogbomosho, Oyo State, Nigeria.
This is a case of upper limb deep vein thrombosis in a HIV positive patient who had also been diagnosed of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. This case highlights the importance of thromboprophylaxis and thrombotic risk assessment in all HIV positive as well as cancer patients particularly in low resource setting which are at risk of increased morbidity and mortality.
Keywords: Thrombosis; Non Hodgkins lymphoma; HIV/AIDS
How to cite this article:
Abolarin Ademola Toyosi, Olufemi-Aworinde Kehinde Joyce, Olutogun Toluwalase. A CASE OF UPPER LIMB DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS IN A KNOWN HIV PATIENT WITH NON HODGKINS LYMPHOMA. International Journal of Case Reports, 2021; 5:197. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2020-10-2505
1. Horsted F, West J, Grainge MJ. Risk of venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS medicine. 2012;9:e1001275.
2. Maneval RE, Clemence BJ. Risk factors associated with catheter-related upper extremity deep vein thrombosis in patients with peripherally inserted central venous catheters: a prospective observational cohort study: part 2. J Infus Nurs. 2014;37(4):260–268. doi:10.1097
3. Sanfilippo KM, Wang TF, Gage BF, Luo S, Riedell P, Carson KR. Incidence of venous thromboembolism in patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Thromb Res. 2016;143:86–90. doi:10.1016/j.thromres.2016.05.008
4. Engelberger RP, Kucher N. Management of deep vein thrombosis of the Upper Extremity. Circulation. 2012. 126;768-773
5. Girolami A, Prandoni P, Zanon E, Bagatella P, Girolami B. Venous thromboses of upper limbs are more frequently associated with occult cancer as compared with those of lower limbs. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 1999; 10: 455– 457.
6. Chopra V, Anand S, Krein SL, Chenoweth C, Saint S. Bloodstream Infection, Venous Thrombosis, and Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters: Reappraising the Evidence. Am J Med. 2012;125:733–741
7. Khorana AA, Francis CW, Culakova E, Kuderer NM, Lyman GH. Thromboembolism is a leading cause of death in cancer patients receiving outpatient chemotherapy. J Thromb Haemost. 2007;5:632–634.