Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Intramyocardial haemorrhage: a rare sequela of acute myopericarditis
Sahar Mohmed1, Kate Batouskaya1, Jakub Lagan2, Pei Gee Chew1,2, Dania Mohty3,4, Aleem Khand1,2,5*
¹Sahar Mohmed, MBBS, MRCP UK, (Cardiology clinical fellow, Department of Cardiology, Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Trust, Lower Lane, Liverpool L97AL, UK). ¹Kate Batouskaya (Core Medical trainee, Department of Cardiology, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, Thomas Drive, Liverpool L14 3PE). ²Jakub Lagan (Cardiologist, Department of Cardiology, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, Thomas Drive, Liverpool L14 3PE, UK). 1,2Pei Gee Chew, MBChB, MRCP UK, AFHEA, MD(Res) (Department of Cardiology, Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Trust, Lower Lane, Liverpool L97AL, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, Thomas Drive, Liverpool L14 3PE, UK). 3,4Dania Mohty, University of Limoges, Limoges, France, King Faisal Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia). 1,2,5Aleem Khand, MBChB MRCP MD Dip Interventional Card iologyand Cardiac MRI FESC, Cardiology Consultant, Department of Cardiology, Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Trust, Lower Lane, Liverpool L97AL, Department of Cardiology, Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital, Thomas Drive, Liverpool L14 3PE, UK. University of Liverpool).
Acute myopericarditis is an inflammatory disease of myocardium and pericardium. The disease has variable presentation ranging from mildly symptomatic cases to severe disease manifested by cardiomyopathy with associated risk of sudden cardiac death. However, the association with intramyocardial hemorrhage (IMH) has not been previously described.
We describe an IMH detected by cardiac magnetic resonance imaging, in a patient with classical ‘de novo’ myopericarditis. To the best of the authors’ knowledge, this has not been previously described in patients without associated haematological or connective tissue disorders.
The adverse prognostic signal of IMH in acute myocardial infarction may also be reflected by IMH in acute myopericarditis and lead to adverse ventricular remodeling. The pathophysiology of IMH in myopericarditis is unknown and warrants further exploration.
Keywords: Intramyocardial hemorrhage;Myopericarditis;Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
How to cite this article:
Sahar Mohmed, Kate Batouskaya, Jakub Lagan, Pei Gee Chew, Dania Mohty, Aleem Khand. Intramyocardial haemorrhage: a rare sequela of acute myopericarditis. International Journal of Case Reports, 2021; 5:212. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2021-02-2105
1. Rossello X, Wiegerinck RF, Alguersuari J, Bardají A, Worner F, Sutil M, Ferrero A, Cinca J. New electrocardiographic criteria to differentiate acute pericarditis and myocardial infarction. The American journal of medicine. 2014 Mar 1;127 (3):233-9.
2. Imazio M, Gaita F. Diagnosis and treatment of pericarditis. Heart. 2015 Jul 15;101(14):1159-68.
3. Cosyns B, Plein S, Nihoyanopoulos P, Smiseth O, Achenbach S, Andrade MJ, Pepi M, Ristic A, Imazio M, Paelinck B, Lancellotti P. European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI) position paper: multimodality imaging in pericar- dial disease. European Heart Journal-Cardio-
a. vascular Imaging. 2015 Jan 1;16(1):12-31.
4. Bogaert J, Francone M. Cardiovascular magne- tic resonance in pericardial diseases. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2009 Dec; 11(1):1-4.
5. Webb JG, Butany J, Langer G, Scott JG, Liu PP. Myocarditis and myocardial hemorrhage associ- ated with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Archives of Internal Medicine. 1990 Jul 1;150 (7): 1535-7.
6. Tokue M, Hara H, Kurosawa K, Nakamura M. Fulminant myocardial bleeding: another clinical course of vascular Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Case Reports. 2017 Sep 22;2017:bcr-2017.
7. Betgem RP, De Waard GA, Nijveldt R, Beek AM, Escaned J, Van Royen N. Intramyocardial hae- morrhage after acute myocardial infarction. Na- ture Reviews Cardiology. 2015 Mar;12(3):156.
8. Sado DM, Maestrini V, Piechnik SK, Banypersad SM, White SK, Flett AS, Robson MD, Neubauer S, Ariti C, Arai A, Kellman P. Noncontrast myo- cardial T1 mapping using cardiovascular magne- tic resonance for iron overload. Journal of mag- netic resonance imaging. 2015 Jun;41(6):1505-11.