Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
A case study of ruptured cornual ectopic with successful outcome in subsequent pregnancy
Snigdha Kumari1 MS,DNB, Bharti Joshi MD1*, DNB, Rashmi Bagga MD2, Jasvinder Kalra2 MD, Pradip Kumar Saha3, MD
1Assistant professor 2Professor 3Additional professor
Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Sector 12, Chandigarh, India.
Cornual pregnancy is a fearful condition with dreadful complications. Due to rarity and late presentation, it poses diagnostic and therapeutic challenges. There is no consensus on treatment strategies till date and risk of rupture after repair in subsequent pregnancy always remains a major concern. We hereby discuss a case of 27 year female who presented with ruptured cornual ectopic pregnancy, underwent cornual wedge resection with repair and had subsequent pregnancy with a successful outcome.
Keywords: Cornual ectopic, interstitial pregnancy, cornual wedge resection
How to cite this article:
Snigdha Kumari, Bharti Joshi, Rashmi Bagga, Jasvinder Kalra, Pradip Kumar Saha. A case study of ruptured cornual ectopic with successful outcome in subsequent pregnancy. International Journal of Case Reports, 2021; 5:224. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2021-05-1805
1. Tulandi T, Al-Jaroudi D. Interstitial pregnancy: results generated from the Society of Reproduc-tive Surgeons Registry. Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 103(1):47–50.
2. Ross, R., Lindheim, S. R., Olive, D. L., and Pritts, E. A. (2006). Cornual gestation: a systematic lit-erature review and two case reports of a novel treatment regimen. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology, 13(1), 74-78.
3. Rizk, B., Holliday, C. P., and Abuzeid, M. (2013). Challenges in the diagnosis and management of interstitial and cornual ectopic pregnan-cies. Middle East Fertility Society Journal, 18(4), 235-240.
4. Moawad NS, Mahajan ST, Moniz MH, Taylor SE, Hurd WW. Current diagnosis and treatment of interstitial pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gyne-col. 2010; 202(1):15–29. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2009.07.054.
5. Tulandi T, Monton L. Conservative surgical management of interstitial pregnancy. Fertil Steril. 19
6. Fabre-Gray A, Read M, Wardle P, James M. Re-current cornual pregnancy, successfully treated with methotrexate, following a ruptured pregnancy in the contralateral cornu. J Obstet Gynae-col. 2014;34(1):85. doi: 10.3109/01443615. 2013.819844.
7. Timor-Tritsch IE, Monteagudo A, Matera C, Veit CR. Sonographic evolution of cornual pregnan-cies treated without surgery. Obstet Gyne-col. 1992;79(6):1044–9.
8. R. B. Mayer, C. Yaman, T. Ebner, O. Shebl, M. Sommergruber, J. Hartl et al., “Ectopic pregnan-cies with unusual location and an angular preg-nancy: report of eight cases,” Wiener klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 124, no. 5-6, pp. 193–197, 2012.
9. N. S. Moawad, S. T. Mahajan, M. H. Moniz, S. E. Taylor, and W. W. Hurd, “Current diagnosis and treatment of interstitial pregnancy,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 202, no. 1, pp. 15–29, 2010.
10. S. Ng, S. Hamontri, I. Chua, B. Chern, and A. Siow, “Laparoscopic management of 53 cases of cornual ectopic pregnancy,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 448–452, 2009.
11. R. MacRae, O. Olowu, M. I. Rizzuto, and F. Odejinmi, “Diagnosis and laparoscopic man-agement of 11 consecutive cases of cornual ec-topic pregnancy,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 280, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2009.
12. D. Soriano, D. Vicus, R. Mashiach, E. Schiff, D. Seidman, and M. Goldenberg, “Laparoscopic treatment of cornual pregnancy: a series of 20 consecutive cases,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 839–843, 2008
13. Hoyos LR, Vilchez G, Allsworth JE, Malik M, Ro-driguez-Kovacs J, Adekola H, Awonuga AO.Outcomes in subsequent pregnancies after wedge resection for interstitial ectopic pregnancy: a retrospective cohort study.J Matern Fetal Ne-onatal Med. 2019 Jul;32(14)
14. Tulandi T, Al-Jaroudi D. Interstitial pregnancy: results generated from the Society of Reproduc-tive Surgeons Registry. Obstet Gynecol. 2004;103(1):47–50.
15. Ng S, Hamontri S, Chua I, et al. Laparoscopic management of 53 cases of cornual ectopic pregnancy. Fertil Steril. 2009;92(2):448–452.
16. Douysset X, Verspyck E, Diguet A, et al. Intersti-tial pregnancy: experience at Rouen’s hospital. Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2014;42(4):216–221.
17. Cunningham FG, Leveno KJ, Bloom SL, et al. Williams obstetrics. New York (NY): McGrawHill Medical; 2014. Available from: http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid¼1 057.