Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Efficacy and safety of Bosutinib in Patient with Chronic myeloid leukemia who was intolerant to DASTANIB,NILOTUNIB -Case report
Abdullah M Arshad1, Mohamed A Yassin2
1Department of Medicine Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha , Qatar. 2Hematology Section /Medical Oncology , National Center for Cancer Care and Research, Doha ,Qatar.
Treatment for Chronic myeloid leukemia has been revolutionized because of availability of different tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Each TKI come with its on toxicity profile as this needs to be taken in account before starting therapy with particular agent in a patient. Most of the adverse effects related to TKI are mild and can be managed by either symptomatic treatment or either by dose reduction. But some patients can become intolerant and to switch to other TKI remains the only option. Bosutinib is currently approved for treatment of chronic phase CML in patients who are either resistant or intolerant to previous TKI. We present a case of 59 year old male patient with CML who was intolerant to Dastanib and Nilotinib but showed excellent hematological and major molecular response to bosutinib
Keywords: Cornual ectopic, interstitial pregnancy, cornual wedge resection
Key clinical message: In Chronic myeloid leukemia, Bosutinib can be excellent choice in not only achieving good molecular and hematological response but also a good option in those who experience intolerance to previous Tyrosine kinase inhibitors.
How to cite this article:
Abdullah M Arshad, Mohamed A Yassin. Efficacy and safety of Bosutinib in Patient with Chronic myeloid leukemia who was intolerant to DASTANIB,NILOTUNIB -Case report. International Journal of Case Reports, 2021; 5:225. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2021-06-1506
1. Turkina A, Wang J, Mathews V, Saydam G, Jung CW, Al Hashmi HH, et al. TARGET: a survey of real-world management of chronic myeloid leukaemia across 33 countries. Br J Haematol. 2020.
2. Al-Dewik NI, Morsi HM, Samara MM, Ghasoub RS, Gnanam CC, Bhaskaran SK, et al. Is Adherence to Imatinib Mesylate Treatment Among Patients with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Associated with Better Clinical Outcomes in Qatar? Clin Med Insights Oncol. 2016;10:95-104.
3. Vezzalini M, Mafficini A, Tomasello L, Lorenzetto E, Moratti E, Fiorini Z, et al. A new monoclonal antibody detects downregulation of protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type gamma in chronic myeloid leukemia patients. J Hematol Oncol. 2017;10:129.
4. Al-Dewik NI, Jewell AP, Yassin MA, El-Ayoubi HR, Morsi HM. Studying the impact of presence of point mutation, insertion mutation and additional chromosomal abnormalities in chronic myeloid leukemia patients treated with imatinib mesylate in the State of Qatar. QScience Connect. 2014;2014.
5. Mughal TI, Radich JP, Deininger MW, Apperley JF, Hughes TP, Harrison CJ, et al. Chronic myeloid leukemia: reminiscences and dreams. Haematologica. 2016;101:541-58.
6. de Lavallade H, Apperley JF, Khorashad JS, Milojkovic D, Reid AG, Bua M, et al. Imatinib for newly diagnosed patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: incidence of sustained responses in an intention-to-treat analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:3358-63.
7. Cortes JE, Saglio G, Kantarjian HM, Baccarani M, Mayer J, Boque C, et al. Final 5-Year Study Results of DASISION: The Dasatinib Versus Imatinib Study in Treatment-Naive Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Patients Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2016;34:2333-40.
8. Kantarjian HM, Shah NP, Cortes JE, Baccarani M, Agarwal MB, Undurraga MS, et al. Dasatinib or imatinib in newly diagnosed chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia: 2-year follow-up from a randomized phase 3 trial [DASISION]. Blood. 2012;119:1123-9.
9. Yassin MA, Nashwan AJ, Soliman AT, Yousif A, Moustafa A, AlBattah A, et al. Cytomegalovirus-induced Hemorrhagic Colitis in a Patient with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia [Chronic Phase] on Dasatinib as an Upfront Therapy. Clin Med Insights Case Rep. 2015;8:77-81.
10. Hochhaus A, Saglio G, Hughes TP, Larson RA, Kim DW, Issaragrisil S, et al. Long-term benefits and risks of frontline nilotinib vs imatinib for chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase: 5-year update of the randomized ENESTnd trial. Leukemia. 2016;30:1044-54.
11. Ito Y, Miyamoto T, Chong Y, Maki T, Akashi K, Kamimura T. Nilotinib exacerbates diabetes mellitus by decreasing secretion of endogenous insulin. Int J Hematol. 2013;97:135-8.
12. Ismail AS, Yassin MA. Nilotinib-Induced Diabetes Mellitus in a Young Female with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. Cureus. 2020;12:e10277.
13. Doan V, Wang A, Prescott H. Bosutinib for the treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2015;72:439-47.
14. Cortes JE, Gambacorti-Passerini C, Deininger MW, Mauro MJ, Chuah C, Kim DW, et al. Bosutinib Versus Imatinib for Newly Diagnosed Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: Results From the Randomized BFORE Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2018;36:231-7.
15. Hochhaus A, Gambacorti-Passerini C, Abboud C, Gjertsen BT, Brummendorf TH, Smith BD, et al. Bosutinib for pretreated patients with chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia: primary results of the phase 4 BYOND study. Leukemia. 2020;34:2125-37.
16. Keller VAG, Brummendorf TH. Novel aspects of therapy with the dual Src and Abl kinase inhibitor bosutinib in chronic myeloid leukemia. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2012;12:1121-7.
17. Kantarjian HM, Cortes JE, Kim DW, Khoury HJ, Brummendorf TH, Porkka K, et al. Bosutinib safety and management of toxicity in leukemia patients with resistance or intolerance to imatinib and other tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Blood. 2014;123:1309-18.
18. Cortes JE, Jean Khoury H, Kantarjian H, Brummendorf TH, Mauro MJ, Matczak E, et al. Long-term evaluation of cardiac and vascular toxicity in patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive leukemias treated with bosutinib. Am J Hematol. 2016;91:606-16.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.