Case Report of International Journal of Case Reports
Case Report: COVID 19 infection induced Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia
Waheed Abdul1* MD, Kavita Krishnakant1 DO
1Kingman Regional Medical Center, Kingman, Arizona, USA.
SARS-CoV 2 was designated a pandemic by WHO on March of 2019. There have been over 120 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally with greater than 4 million hospitalizations in the US alone. These cases can range from asymptomatic disease to multi-organ dysfunction resulting in death. The spectrums of complications stemming from COVID-19 are much broader and can include other autoimmune disorders. Here we present a case of a woman who developed autoimmune hemolytic anemia from COVID-19 infection and was successfully treated with high dose corticosteroids.
Keywords: COVID 19, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, Cold agglutinin disease, corticosteroids
How to cite this article:
Waheed Abdul, Kavita Krishnakant . Case Report: COVID 19 infection induced Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. International Journal of Case Reports, 2021, 5:248. DOI: 10.28933/ijcr-2021-10-0205
1. Ye ZW, Yuan S, Yuen KS, Fung SY, Chan CP, Jin DY. Zoonotic origins of human coronaviruses. Int J Biol Sci. 2020;16(10):1686-1697.
2. Wang, C., Wang, Z., Wang, G. et al. COVID-19 in early 2021: current status and looking for-ward. Sig Transduct Target Ther 6, 114 (2021).
3. Zanella A, Barcellini W. Treatment of autoimmune hemolytic anemias. Haematologica. 2014;99(10): 1547-1554. doi:10.3324/haematol.2014.114561.
4. Berentsen S. Cold agglutinin dis-ease. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Pro-gram. 2016;2016(1):226-231.
5. Patil NR, Herc ES, Girgis M. Cold agglutinin disease and autoimmune hemolytic anemia with pulmonary embolism as a presentation of COVID-19 infection [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jul 6]. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther. 2020;S1658-3876(20)30116-3.
6. Lazarian G, Quinquenel A, Bellal M, et al. Auto-immune haemolytic anaemia associated with COVID-19 infection. Br J Haematol. 2020; 190(1):29-31. doi:10.1111/bjh.16794
7. Demir NA, Basturk A, Ural O, et al. A case of Evans syndrome secondary to COVID-19. Blood Transfus. 2021;19(1):85-88.
8. Angileri F, Légaré S, Marino Gammazza A, Con-way de Macario E, Macario AJL, Cappello F. Is molecular mimicry the culprit in the autoimmune haemolytic anaemia affecting patients with COVID-19?. Br J Haematol. 2020;190(2):e92-e93.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.