Research Article of International Journal of Aging Research
Predictors of in-hospital mortality in critically ill Geriatric patients
Khalid E. Elsorady, MD
Department of Geriatrics and Gerontology, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Objective: To determine the predictors of in-hospital mortality in critically ill older patients.
Participants and Methods: A prospective cohort study including 305 critically ill older adults (age ≥60 years) who were admitted to High Dependency Units (HDUs) in a tertiary care university hospital from March 22, 2019 to January 4, 2020. Demographic, clinical and laboratory data of participants were collected thought a review of medical records and clinical observation at HDUs till either death or discharge alive. Statistical analysis included univariate analysis of selected potential predictors such as various comorbidities, C- reactive protein / Albumin ratio (CAR), Neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio (NLR), Red cell distribution width (RDW), Po2/Fio2 ratio (PFR), Simplified acute physiology score II (SAPS II), Charlson comorbidity index (CCI) and multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacterial (MDR-GNB) infection to ascertain their association with mortality, followed by multivariable logistic regression to derive the final prediction model. The discriminative ability of the model was evaluated by using the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve.
RESULTS: Overall mortality was 53.1%. Multivariate regression analysis revealed independent predictors of mortality including dementia in clinical history with an odds ratio (OR) of 4.86 (95% CI: 1.28-18.34), total protein with an OR of .53 (95% CI: .30-.95) and the use of mechanical ventilation (MV) and/or intravenous cardiovascular support with an OR of 148.34 (95% CI: 34.28-641.77), formulating a novel prognostic model with an area under the ROC curve of .93 (95% CI: .89-.96, P.000).
CONCLUSION: History of dementia, total protein and the use of MV and/or intravenous cardiovascular support are predictors of mortality in critically ill geriatric patients. It provides a novel prognostic model which needs validation in other multicenter prospective studies.
Keywords: Mortality; prognostic model; older adults; critical illness; dementiaFree Full-text PDF Supplemental Materials
How to cite this article:
Khalid E. Elsorady. Predictors of in-hospital mortality in critically ill Geriatric patients. International Journal of Aging Research, 2021, 4:77. DOI: 10.28933/ijoar-2020-12-3005
1. Flaatten H, Oeyen S, de Lange DW. Predicting outcomes in very old ICU patients: time to focus on the past? Intensive Care Med. 2018;44(8):1344–1345.
2. Guidet B, Vallet H, Boddaert J et al. Caring for the critically ill patients over 80: a narrative review. Ann Intensive Care. 2018;8:114.
3. Guidet B, de Lange DW, Boumendil A et al. The contribution of frailty, cognition, activity of daily life and comorbidities on outcome in acutely admitted patients over 80 years in European ICUs: the VIP2 study. Intensive Care Med. 2020;46(1):57-69.
4. Pittet D, Thievent B, Wenzel RP, Li N, Gurman G, Suter PM. Importance of pre-existing co-morbidities for prognosis of septicemia in critically ill patients. Intensive Care Med. 1993;19(5):265-72.
5. Richardson SS, Sullivan G, Hill A et al. Use of aggressive medical treatments near the end of life: differences between patients with and without dementia. Health Serv Res. 2007;42(1 Pt 1):183-200.
6. Aliyu S, Smaldone A, Larson E. Prevalence of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria among nursing home residents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American Journal of Infection Control. 2017;45(5):512-8.
7. Skjaker SA, Hoel H, Dahl V, Stavem K. Factors associated with life-sustaining treatment restriction in a general intensive care unit. PLoS ONE. 2017;12(7): e0181312. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0181312
8. Hayat SA, Luben R, Dalzell N et al. Understanding the relationship between cognition and death: a within cohort examination of cognitive measures and mortality. Eur J Epidemiol. 2018;33(11):1049-1062.
9. Falagas ME, Lourida P, Poulikakos P, Rafailidis PI, Tansarli JS. Antibiotic treatment of infections due to carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae: systematic evaluation of the available evidence. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014;58(2):654-63.
10. Swaminathan M, Sharma S, Blash SP et al. Prevalence and risk factors for acquisition of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae in the setting of endemicity. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013;34(8):809-17.
11. Ho KM, Lee KY, Dobb GJ, Webb SAR. C-reactive protein concentration as a predictor of in-hospital mortality after ICU discharge: A prospective cohort study. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34(3):481-487.
12. Zhang Z, Xu X, Ni H, Deng H. Red cell distribution width is associated with hospital mortality in unselected critically ill patients. J Thorac Dis. 2013;5(6):730-736.
13. Chen L, Lou Y, Chen Y, Yang J. Prognostic value of the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio in patients with acute-on-chronic liver failure. Int J Clin Pract. 2014;68(8):1034-40.
14. Park JE, Chung KS, Song JH et al. The C-Reactive Protein/Albumin Ratio as a Predictor of Mortality in Critically Ill Patients. J. Clin. Med. 2018;7(10):333.
15. Magiorakos AP, Srinivasan A, Carey RB et al. Multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant bacteria: an international expert proposal for interim standard definitions for acquired resistance. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012;18(3):268-81.
16. Charlson ME, Pompei P, Ales KL, MacKenzie CR. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J Chronic Dis. 1987;40(5):373-83.
17. Widiger TA, Frances AJ, Pincus HA, First MB, Ross R, Davis W. American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4thEdition. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 1994.
18. Le Gall JR, Lemeshow S, Saulnier F. A new Simplified Acute Physiology Score (SAPS II) based on a European/North American multicenter study. JAMA. 1993;270:2957-63.
19. Faria SS, Fernandes PC Jr, Silva MJ et al. The neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio: a narrative review. Ecancermedicalscience. 2016;10:702. Doi: 10.3332/ecancer.2016.702
20. Sun P, Chen C, Xia Y, Bi X, Liu P, Zhang F et al. The Ratio of C-Reactive Protein/Albumin is a Novel Inflammatory Predictor of Overall Survival in Cisplatin-Based Treated Patients with Metastatic Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. Dis Markers. 2017;2017:6570808. Doi: 10.1155/2017/6570808.
21. ARDS. The ARDS Definition Task Force. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: The Berlin Definition. JAMA.2012;307(23):2526-2533.
22. Sanz F, Dean N, Dickerson J et al. Accuracy of PaO2 /FiO2 calculated from SpO2 for severity assessment in ED patients with pneumonia. Respirology. 2015;20(5):813-818.
23. Almagro P, Ponce A, Komal S et al. Multimorbidity gender patterns in hospitalized elderly patients. PLoS ONE. 2020;15(1): e0227252. Doi: 10.1371/journal. pone.0227252
24. Fogg C, Meredith P, Culliford D, Bridges J, Spice C, Griffiths P. Cognitive impairment is independently associated with mortality, extended hospital stays and early readmission of older people with emergency hospital admissions: A retrospective cohort study. Int J Nurs Stud. 2019; 96:1-8.
25. Duan J, Lv Y, Gao X et al. Association of cognitive impairment and elderly mortality: differences between two cohorts ascertained 6-years apart in China. BMC Geriatrics. 2020; 20. 29. Doi: 10.1186/s12877-020-1424-4.
26. Fogg C, Griffiths P, Meredith P, Bridges J. Hospital outcomes of older people with cognitive impairment: An integrative review. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2018;33(9):1177-1197.
27. Breijyeh Z, Jubeh B, Karaman R. Resistance of Gram-Negative Bacteria to Current Antibacterial Agents and Approaches to Resolve It. Molecules. 2020;25(6):1340.
28. Versporten A, Zarb P, Caniaux I et al. Antimicrobial consumption and resistance in adult hospital inpatients in 53 countries: results of an internet-based global point prevalence survey. The Lancet Global Health. 2018;6(6):e619-e629. Doi: 10.1016/S2214-109X(18)30186-4.
29. Wang W, Jiang T, Zhang W et al. Predictors of mortality in bloodstream infections caused by multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria: 4 years of collection. Am J Infect Control. 2017;45(1):59-64.
30. Siwakoti S, Subedi A, Sharma A, Baral R, Bhattarai NR, Khanal B. Incidence and outcomes of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria infections in intensive care unit from Nepal- a prospective cohort study. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018;7:114.
31. Lyons O, Whelan B, Bennett K, O’Riordan D, Silke B. Serum albumin as an outcome predictor in hospital emergency medical admissions. Eur J Int Med. 2010;21(1):17-20.
32. Takegawa R, Kabata D, Shimizu K et al. Serum albumin as a risk factor for death in patients with prolonged sepsis: An observational study. J Crit Care. 2019;51:139–144.
33. Pierre S, Annika RB, Mette MB et al. ESPEN guideline on clinical nutrition in the intensive care unit. Clin. Nutr. 2018;1-32, Doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2018.08.037.
34. Woo J, Mak YT, Lau J, Swaminathan R. Prediction of mortality in patients in acute medical wards using basic laboratory and anthropometric data. Postgrad Med J. 1992;68(806):954-960.
35. Wu PP, Hsieh YP, Kor CT, Chiu PF. Association between Albumin–Globulin Ratio and Mortality in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. J Clin Med. 2019;8(11):1991. Doi:10.3390/jcm8111991
36. Suarez-de-la-Rica A, Castro-Arias C, Latorre J, Gilsanz F, Maseda E. Prognosis and predictors of mortality in critically ill elderly patients. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2018;65(3):143-148.
37. Martin-Loeches I, Guia MC, Vallecoccia MS et al. Risk factors for mortality in elderly and very elderly critically ill patients with sepsis: a prospective, observational, multicenter cohort study. Ann Intensive Care. 2019;9(1):26.
38. Darmon M, Timsit JF, Francais A, Nguile-Makao M, Adrie C, Cohen Y, et al. Association between hypernatraemia acquired in the ICU and mortality: a cohort study. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2010;25(8):2510-5.
39. Holland-Bill L, Christiansen CF, Heide-Jørgensen U, Ulrichsen SP, Ring T, Jørgensen JO, et al. Hyponatremia and mortality risk: a Danish cohort study of 279 508 acutely hospitalized patients. Eur J Endocrinol. 2015;173(1):71-81.
40. Ramanan M, Fisher N. The Association between Arterial Oxygen Tension, Hemoglobin Concentration, and Mortality in Mechanically Ventilated Critically Ill Patients. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2018;22(7):477-484.
41. Oh, TK, Ji E, Na H et al. C-Reactive Protein to Albumin Ratio Predicts 30-Day and 1-Year Mortality in Postoperative Patients after Admission to the Intensive Care Unit. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2018;7(3): 39. Doi: 10.3390/jcm7030039.
42. Kompoti M, Drimis S, Papadaki A et al. Serum C-reactive protein at admission predicts in-hospital mortality in medical patients. Eur J Intern Med. 2008;19(4):261-5.
43. Guo TM, Cheng B, Ke L, et al. Prognostic Value of Neutrophil to Lymphocyte Ratio for In-hospital Mortality in Elderly Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction. Curr Med Sci. 2018;38(2):354-359.
44. Yousefi B, Sanaie S, Ghamari AA, Soleimanpour H, Karimian A, Mahmoodpoor A. Red Cell Distribution Width as a Novel Prognostic Marker in Multiple Clinical Studies. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2020;24(1):49-54.
45. Le Borgne P, Maestraggi Q, Couraud S et al. Critically ill elderly patients (≥ 90 years): Clinical characteristics, outcome and financial implications. PLoS ONE. 2018;13(6):e0198360. https://doi.org/ 10.1371/journal.pone.0198360
46. Kır S, Bahçeci BK, Ayrancı E et al. Age is not a risk factor in survival of severely ill patients with co-morbidities in a medical intensive care unit. Ir J Med Sci. 2020; Doi: 10.1007/s11845-020-02298-0
47. Muscedere J, Waters B, Varambally A et al. The impact of frailty on intensive care unit outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Intensive Care Med. 2017;43(8):1105-1122.
48. Sjoding MW, Prescott HC, Wunsch H, Iwashyna TJ, Cooke CR. Longitudinal changes in ICU admissions among elderly patients in the United States. Crit Care Med. 2016; 44(7):1353–60.
49. Laporte L, Hermetet C, Jouan Y, Gaborit C, Rouve E, Shea K et al. (2018). Ten-year trends in intensive care admissions for respiratory infections in the elderly. Ann. Intensive Care. 2018; 8:84.
50. Kim HY. Statistical notes for clinical researchers: Chi-squared test and Fisher’s exact test. Restor Dent Endod. 2017;42(2):152-155.