Research Article of International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
Design and Development of Cuminum cyminum L. Seed Extract Microemulsion for Anaemia
D. A. Chougule*1, D. T. Gaikwad2, R. J. Jarag3
*1, 2Departments of Pharmaceutics, Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Kolhapur-416013, Maharashtra, India; 3Department of Pharmacology, Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Kolhapur-416013, Maharashtra, India
The aim of study was to develop and evaluate microemulsion for permeation enhancement of Cumin in treatment of anaemia. Successful attempt was made to carry out formulation of Cumin loaded microemulsion. Oleic acid selected as oil phase, tween 80 and propylene glycol selected as surfactant and co-surfactant, from pseudoternary phase diagram different concentration of oil, surfactant, co-surfactant and distilled water were optimized and water dilution method was used for microemulsion preparation. Cumin extract loaded microemulsion were formulated and characterized for particle size, PDI, zeta potential, viscosity, percent transmittance, RI and drug content. The ex vivo permeation study was performed on goat small intestine. It was observed that 55.50% Cumin extract and 87.19% Cumin loaded microemulsion was permeated. This data indicates that Cumin loaded microemulsion has greater permeation as compared to extract. In vivo study data observed that microemulsion formulation increases the Hb, RBC, MCV, MCH, MCHC level as compared with extract. The results clearly indicate that microemulsion increases the Hb and RBC and bring towards the normal level.
Keywords: Cuminum Cyminum, Microemulsion, Anaemia
How to cite this article:
D. A. Chougule, D. T. Gaikwad, R. J. Jarag. Design and Development of Cuminum cyminum L. Seed Extract Microemulsion for Anaemia.International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine 2018, 3:7.
1. Sarkhejiya, N. Nakum M. Emerging trend of microemulsion in formulation and research. Interntational Bulletin of Drug Research. 1(1), 54-83 (2014).
2. Puratchikody, A. Micreomulsion- Prophesy of drug delivery system. World Journal of Pharmacy and pharmaceutical Science. 3(10), 1800-1810 (2014).
3. Kaur, D. Sharma, R. An Update on Pharmacological Properties of Cumin. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Science. 2(4), 14-27 (2012).
5. “What Is Anemia? – NHLBI, NIH” (https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/anemia). www.nhlbi.nih.gov. Archived (https://web.arc
6. hive.org/web/20160120200631/http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health topics/topics/anemia) from the original on 2016-01-20. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
7. Jeffery, L. Iron Deficiency Anemia: A Common and Curable Disease. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 3(a), 1-13 (2013).
8. Satyajit D. Sarker and Lutfun Nahar (eds.), Natural Products Isolation, Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 864,
1. DOI 10.1007/978-1-61779-624-1_2, © Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
9. Jain, P. Bhawasr, J. Phytochemical analysis of Mentha spicata plant extract using UV-VIS, FTIR and GC/MS technique. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 8(2), 1-6 (2016).
10. Khalid, R. Alaama, M. Comparative study of three digestion methods for elemental analysis in traditional medicine products using atomic absorption spectrometry. Journal of Analytical Science and Technology. 7(6), 1-7 (2016).
11. Mandal, S. Microemulsion drug delivery system : A platform for improving dissolution rate of poorly water soluble drugs. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and nanotechnology. 3(4) 1214-1219 (2011).
12. Patel, R. Patel, M. Formulation and evaluation of microemulsion based gel of ketoconazole. International Journal of Universal Pharmacy and Bio Sciences. 3(2), 93-111 (2014).
13. Mulla, A. Shetty, S. Panchamukhi I. Formulation, characterization and in vitro evaluation of novel thienopyrimidines and triazolothienopyrimidines loaded solid lipid nanoparticles. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda & Pharmacy. 1(1), 192-200 (2010).
14. Solanki, S. Sarkar, B. Dhanwani, R. Microemulsion drug delivery system: for bioavailability enhancement of ampelopsin. International Scholarly Research Network Pharmaceutics. 1-5 (2012).
15. Deshmukh, P. Microemulsiom: A Novel approaches for drug delivery system. Journal of Advance Drug Delivery. 3(2), 54-62 (2016).
16. Mishra, R. A review article: on nanoemulsion. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 3(9), 258-274 (2014).
17. Waghmare, N. Tembhurne, S. Anti-Anaemic Potential of Murraya koenigii Fruit Extracts In Phenylhydrazine Induced Anaemic Rats. International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutical Research. 6(5), 124-127 (2015).
18. Dixit, G. Mathur, V. Formulation and characterization of solid microemulsion of darunavir for enhanced solubility and dissolution. International Journal and Pharmaceutical Sciences Research. 6(9), 3990-3999 (2015).
19. Pingali, P. Srinivas, P. Study of anti-anaemic effect of schrebera swietenioides roxb. In rat models. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 8(5) 260-263 (2016).
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.