Review Article of International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
Azaraqi (Strychnos nux-vomica L.) herb for nervous and musclos-keletol system
*Shabnam Anjum Ara1, Mohd. Urooj2, Gulam Mohammed Husain2, Uzma Viquar3, Muskula Anudeep Reddy4, Munawwar Husain Kazmi5
Department of Pharmacology, Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine Hyderabad 500038, Telangana, India
Nature has always been a giver, bearing rich heritage of natural products which arebeing utilized by mankind since their existence. Azaraqi (Strychnos nux-vomicaL.) is a potential herb used for the treatment of various neuronal illness, muscloskeletol and joint disorders. This comes under category IV of drugs as per Unani literature which needs to be detoxified prior to clinical use.The healing properties of Azaraqi (Strychnos nux-vomicaL.) are substantially those of the alkaloids strychnine and brucine, which are considered toxic.The perception of lesser side effects of herbal formulation among the people especially in developing countries raised the market of treatment by natural products. However, there is need to put forward the scientific evidence of these formulation regarding toxicity as well as efficacy as then only evidence based medicine would only be able to make position in globalized world as an alternative of conventional treatment available. This review article will discuss the potential pharmacological actions; toxicity developed due to Azaraqiresulted out in different preclinical and clinical studies. The authors will try to make a suggestion for future based on finding of these studies.
Keywords: Herbal drug, Azaraqi, strychnine, brucine.
How to cite this article:
Shabnam Anjum Ara, Mohd. Urooj, Gulam Mohammed Husain, Uzma Viquar, Muskula Anudeep Reddy, Munawwar Husain Kazmi. Azaraqi (Strychnos nux-vomica L.) herb for nervous and muscloskeletol system.International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine 2020, 5:23.
1. William C Evans, Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy, Saunders Elsevier’s Publications,16th edition,2009, pp-35,399-400.
2. Harry L.Arnold (1968).Poisonous Plants of Hawaii.Tokyo,Japan:Charles E.Tuttle.p.20.ISBN 0-8048-0474-5.
3. Unani Medicinal plants of Andhra Pradesh, Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, part 1, march 2010, pp-217-218
4. Munjal. Y.P, Sundar S., Reddy JYC.et .al; API textbook of Medicine, Edition 10th, Vol. 2, p-2647.
5. McIntosh. RA. Nux-vomica and its Uses; Canadian Journal of Comparative Medicine, Vol. 4(5), 1940, p-125-127.
6. Jackson. T.A. and Marsh. F.P. (1997).In: Test methods for vertebrate pest control and management material, American Society for testing and materials (Publisher).
7. Perper,J.A.Fatal strychnine poisoning-A case report and review of the literature .J.Forensic.Sci. 1985,30,1248-1255.
8. Anonymous; Quality Standards of Indian Medicinal Plants, Medicinal Plants Unit; Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, Vol.10,2012,p-352-362
9. Ghani N.; Khazaen-ul- Advia, Idara Kitab-us-Shifa, Delhi, p-203-205, 1027-1028, 1231-1233.
10. Tripathi. K.D; Essentials of Medical Pharmacology, Edition 7th, New Delhi; Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher; 2013, p-84.
11. Anonymous; The Unani Pharmacopoeia of India,Govt. of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare,Dept.of AYUSH, New Delhi,Part-1,Vol.4;2007; p-14,30.
12. B.Saad, H.Azaizeh, G.Abu-Hijleh and O. Said; “Safety of traditional Arab herbal medicine”, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Vol.3, no.4, 2006, p-433-439.
13. C.R.D.Colson and M.E.De Broe,”Kidney injury from alternative medicine”, Advances in Chronic Kidney Diseases, Vol.12, no.3, 2005, p-261-275.
14. Y.P.Zhu,”Toxicology of the Chinese herb mu tong (Aristolochia manshuriensis)what history tells us”, Adverse Drug React Toxicology Reviews, Vol.21, no.4, 2002, p-171-177.
15. F.Moritz, P.Compagnon, I.G.Kaliszczak, Y.Kaliszczak ,V.Caliskan and C.Girault, ”Severe acute poisoning with homemade Aconitum napellus capsules: toxic kinetic and clinical data”, Clinical Toxicology,Vol.43,no.7,2005,p-873-876
16. J. Benjamin, T. Muir, K. Briggs and B. Pentland,” A case of cerebral haemorrhage-can Ginkgo biloba be implicated? ’Postgraduate Medical Journal, Vol.77, no.904, 2001, p-112-113.
17. W.I.Jensen and J.P.Allen,’’Naturally occurring and experimentally induced castor bean (Ricinus communis) poisoning in ducks”, Avian Diseases, Vol.25, no.1, 1981, p-184-194.
18. Azam. H.M.; Muheet-e-Azam, Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, part 1, 2002, p-263.
19. Kabeeruddin.H.M, Bayaz-e-Kabeer, Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine, part 2, 2009, p-38.
20. Usmani,H. Ilmul Sumoom,pp-74-78.
21. Kabeeruddin H.M.;Tarjuma-e-Nafeesi,pp-236-237.
22. Essential Drug List (EDL) Unani Medicine; Department of AYUSH (Drug Control Cell) ,Ministry of Health and Family Welfare,Govt.of India; March 2013,p
23. Kokate.C.K,Purohit.A.P,Gokhale.S.B,Pharmacognosy,Nirali prakashan,53rd edition,pp-15.1,15.19-15.21.
24. Kirtikar,K.R.,Basu.B.D,Indian Medicinal plants,orientalenterprises,secondedition,volume 7,2012,pp-2268-2270.
25. Ansari.S.H.,Essentials of Pharmacognosy,Birla publications pvtltd,sixth edition,2013- 2014,pp-119-12.
26. Kabeeruddin M.; Makhzenul Mufradat; Idara Kitab-us-Shifa; Delhi; 2007, p-66-67
27. Anonymous; The Unani Pharmacopoeia of India,Govt. of India, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare,Dept.of AYUSH ,New Delhi,Part-1,Vol.2; 2007; p-15-16.
28. Akbar.S.,Khan.A.S.,Masood A.,Iqbal M.,(2010) “Use of Strychnos nux-vomica (Azaraqi) seeds in Unani system of medicine: role of detoxification”. African Journal of Traditional Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 7(4):286-290.
29. Ghani N.; Khazaen-ul- Advia, Idara Kitab-us-Shifa, Delhi, p-203-205, 1027-1028, 1231-1233.
30. katiyar. C,Kumar .A,BhattacharyaS.K.,Singh R.S.,Ayurvedic processed seeds of nux-vomica:Neuropharmacological and chemical evaluation,2010;81(31):190-195.
31. Jensen A.A.,Gharagozloo P.,Birdsall NJM.,ZlotosD.P.,Pharmacological characterization of strychnine and brucine analogue at glycine and α7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors,European Journal of Pharmacology,2006,539(1-2) ;27-33.
32. Yin W,WangT,YinF,CaiB.Analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of brucine and brucine N-oxide extracted from seeds of Strychnos nux-vomica.Journal of Ethnopharmacology.2003;88:205-214.
33. Chen J,WangX,QuY,ChenZ,CaiB.Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity and pharmacokinetics of alkaloids from seeds of Strychnos nux-vomica after transdermal administration: Effect of changes in alkaloid composition. Journal of Ethnopharmacology.2012; 139:181-188.
34. EldahshanOA,Abdel-Daim MM.Phytochemical study,cytotoxic,analgesic,antipyretic and anti-inflammatory activities of Strychnos nux-vomica.Cytotechnology.2015;67:831-844.
35. Tripathi YB,Chaurasia S. Studies on the inhibitory effect of Strychnos nux-vomica alcohol extract on iron induced lipid peroxidation.Phytomedicine. 1996; 3(2):175-180
36. Lee SM, Kwon JI, Choi YH, Eom HS, Chi GY. Induction of G2/M arrest and apoptosis by water extract of Strychni Semen in human gastric carcinoma AGS cells. Phytotherapy Research. 2008; 22(6):752-758.
37. Rao PS, Ramanadham M, Prasad MNV. Anti Proliferative and cytotoxic effects of Strychnos nux-vomica root extract on human multiple myeloma cell line –RPMI 8226. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2009; 47(2):283-288.
38. Deng XK, Yin W, Li WD, Yin FZ, Zhang XC, Hua ZC et al. The Anti-tumor Effects of Alkaloids from the Seeds of Strychnos nux-vomica on HepG2 Cells and its Possible Mechanism. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2006a; 106(2):179-186.
39. Deng XK, Yin FZ, Lu X, Cai B, Yin W. The Apoptotic effect of brucine from the seed of Strychnos nux-vomica on human hepatoma cells is mediated via Bcl-2 and Ca2+ involved mitochondrial pathway. Toxicological Sciences. 2006b; 91(1):59-69.
40. Yin W, Deng XK, Yin FZ, Zhang XC, Cai BC. The cytotoxicity induced by brucine from the seed of Strychnos nux-vomica proceeds via apoptosis and is mediated by cyclooxygenase 2 and caspase 3 in SMMC 7221 cells. Food and chemical toxicology. 2007; 45(9):1700-1708.
41. Sah A, Khatik GL, Vyas M, Yadav P. A short review on anticancer investigations of Strychnos nux-vomica. International Journal of Green Pharmacy. 2016; 10(3):8790.
42. Kwon SK, Kim HC, Lee SY, Jang CG. Loganin improves learning and memory impairments induced by scopolamine in mice. European Journal of Pharmacology. 2009; 619(1-3):44-49.
43. Chitra V, Varma PV, Raju MK, Prakash KJ. Study of antidiabetic and free radical scavenging activity of the seed extract of Strychnos nux-vomica. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 2(1):106-110.
44. Bhati R, Singh A, Saharan VA, Ram V, Bhandari A. Strychnos nux-vomica seeds: Pharmacognostical standardization, extraction, and antidiabetic activity. Journal of Ayurveda & Integrative Medicine. 2012; 3(2):80-84. 12.
45. Shoba FG, Thomas M. Study of antidiarrhoeal activity of four medicinal plants in castor-oil induced diarrhoea. Journal of ethnopharmacology. 2001; 76:7376.
46. Visen PKS, Saraswat B, Kanwal Raj K, Bhaduri AP, Dubey MP. Prevention of galactosamine-induced hepatic damage by the natural product loganin from the plant Strychnos nux-vomica: studies on isolated hepatocytes and bile flow in rat. Phytotherapy Research. 1998; 12:405-408.
47. Chatterjee I, Chakravarty AK, Gomes A. Antisnake venom activity of Ethanolic seed extract of Strychnos Nux-vomica Linn. Indian J Exp Biol. http://nopr.niscair. res.in/handle/123456789/23434. 2004; 42(5):468-475.
48. Duddukuri GR, Brahmam AN, Rao DN. Suppressive effect of Strychnos nux-vomica on induction of ovalbumin-specific IgE antibody response in mice. Indian Journal of Biochemistry and biophysics. 2008; 44:341 -344.
49. Heparin binding epidermal growth factor expression in KATO-ш cells after Helicobacter Pylori stimulation under the influence of Strychnos nux-vomica and calendula officinalis/ HofbauerR,PaschingE,MoserD,Frass M./Homeopathy,2010 Jul;99(3):177-82.(9).
50. Larvicidal efficacy of Strychnos nux-vomicalinn.(loganiaceae) leaf extracts against the filarial vector Culexquinquefasciatus say.(Diptera.culicidae) /S.Arivoli and 2 Samuel Tennyson/World Journal of Zoology,7(1):06-11,,2012/Doi:10.5829/idosi.wjz.2012.7.1.56374(17).
51. Inhibition effect of environmental Benign Kuchla (Strychnos nux-vomica) seed extract on corrosion of mild steel in Hydrochloric Acid solution/Ambrishsingh/Academia.edu.
52. Quality standards of Indian Medicinal Plants,Medicinal plants unit,Indian Council of Medical Research,Newdelhi,volume 10,2012,p-355.
53. Strychnochrysine,a New Bisindole Alkaloid from the Roots of Strychnos nux-vomica/RoseGadiBiala,MoniqueTits,JacquesPennele,MichelFrederich,VivianeBrandt,ChristelleProsperi,GabrielLiabres and Angenot*/J.Nat.Prod;1998,61(1),pp-139-141/DOI:10.1021/np9703454(20).
54. Garcia-Alcocer, G;MatinezTorres,A;Miledi,R.Strychnine induces embryo toxicity in rat neurulation.Neurotoxicol.Teratol.2005,27,855-859.
55. Mc.Cool,B.A;Chappell,A.Strychnine and taurine modulation of amygdala-associated anxiety-like behavior is “state’’dependent,Behav.Brain.Res.2007,178,70-8.
56. Aewan,H.M.H,Kitabul Murakkabat Ma-IlaajulAmraz,Tibbi publication,Delhi,p-38.
57. Akbar,S;Masood,A;Shamshad A;Khan and showkat ,A.Toxicity studies on a Unani Herbal Formulation “Capsule Hudar’’ in albino rats;Toxicology International.January 2009.
58. Klaassen,C.D;Watkinsш,J.B;Casarett&Doull’s Essential of Toxicology.McGraw Hill Education,3rd Edition,2015,pp-382-389.
59. Zeng,ZP;Jiang,JG.Analysis of adverse reactions induced by natural products-derived drugs;British Journal of Pharmacology,2009,pp-1374-1388.
60. XukunDeng,FangzhouYin,XiaoyuLu,BaochongCai and Wu Yin.”The Apoptotic effect of Brucine from seed of Strychnos nux-vomica on Human Hepatoma cells is mediated via Bcl-2 and ca2+ involved mitochondrial pathway,Toxicological Sciences 91(1),2006,59-69.
61. PhuaD.H;Zosel A and Heard K,Dietary supplements and herbal medicine toxicities-when to anticipate them and how to manage them,Int J Emerg Med,2(2) (2009) 69-76.