Review Article of International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
Useful Anti-Cancerous & Anti-tumorous Asian medicinal Plants (Taxus baccata L. or Taxus baccata Thunb., Catharanthus roseus(L.) G. Don, Annona muricata L.)
Pawan Kumar Sagar*1, R P Meena4, Mohd Washim Ahmad3, Kunal Sajwan4
*1.2,3. Drug StandardizationResearch Institute, (CCRUM., Ministry of AYUSH.), PLIM., Campus, Kamlanehru nagar, Ghaziabad, U.P. ,India; 4. Central Council for Research of Unani Medicine, Ministry of AYUSH., Janakpuri, D-Block, New Delhi, India
Cancer is one of the harmful leading causes of death worldwide. Several synthetic agents have been used to cure the disease but they have their adverse side effects, low-hilling potential and toxicity.Present Article reviewed three important medicinal plants i.e.- Taxus baccata L. Or Taxus baccata Thunb., Catharanthus roseus(L.) G.Don and Annona muricata L. which traditionally used since ancient time for the treatment and prevention of Cancer and Tumor in Sothern, Northern-east and Himalayan region of India. Having active phytochemical constitutents Taxanes- Alkaloids(Taxol and Taxotere), Larotaxel,nab-Paclitaxel present in T. baccata L. Or T.baccata Thunb. and Vinca-Alkaloid as Vinblastine, Vincristine, Vinorelbine, Vinflunine, catharanthine and vindoline alkaloids in Catharanthus roseus(L.) G.Don, as well as Muricin J, Muricin K, Muricin L, Cinnamic acid derivative, Coumaric acid hexose, Annomuricin A, Annomuricin B, Annomuricin C, Annomuricin E, Annomutacin, Annhexocin, Muricatocin A, Muricatocin B, Muricatocin C, Giganletronenin, Annonacin A, Annopentocin A, Annopentocin B, Annopentocin C etc. present in A muricata L. This report also revealed the ethno-botanicaly and biological activities of active principles of these plants that will help in noval drug discovery, noval new active phytochemical constituents of anti-cancer and anti-tumor formulations and development of pharmacopial standareds.
Keywords: Anti-cancerous, Anti-tumorous, medicinal plants, bio-actives constituents, bio available, ethno-botany.
How to cite this article:
Pawan Kumar Sagar, R P Meena, Mohd Washim Ahmad, Kunal Sajwan. Useful Anti-Cancerous & Anti-tumorous Asian medicinal Plants (Taxus baccata L. or Taxus baccata Thunb., Catharanthus roseus(L.) G. Don, Annona muricata L.).International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine 2020, 5:22.
1. Suderan S, Paramasivam R, Sunder S, Amathy AR, Rincy R and Ramasamy V.,2017. Evolution of metabolic compounds of Catharanthus roseus and its anticancer activity, European Journal of pharmaceutical and medical research,4(9):282-290.
2. Minarni, Artika IM, Julistione H, Bermamie N, Riyanti EI, Hasim AEZ.,2017.Anticancer activity test of ethyl acetate extract of endophytic fungi isolated from soursop leaf (Annona muricata L.), Asian pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 10(6):566-571.
3. Roy A, Ahuja S, Bharadwaj N.,2017. A Review on medicinal plants against Cancer. Journal of Plant Science and Agricultural Research.,1(2:008):1-5 ,
4. WHO.2017.Fact sheet.World Health Organization Committee 186.
5. Abdullah M, Syam AF, MeilanyS,LaksonoB,Prabu OG, Bekti HS, Indrawati L, Makmun D., 2017.The Value of Caspase-3 after the Application of Annona muricata Leaf Extract in COLO-205 Colorectal Cancer Cell Line., Journal of Hindawi Gastroenterology Research and Practice., Article ID 4357165:1-5.
6. Gavamukulya Y, Wamunyokoli F, Shemy HAE.,2017. Annona muricata:Is the natural therapy to most disease conditions including cancer growing in our backyard? A systematic review of its research history and future prospects.,Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 10(9):835-848.
7. Minarni,Artika IM, Julistiono H, Bermawie N, Riyanti EI, Hasim, Hasan AEZ.,2017. Anticancer activity test of ethyl acetate extract of endophytic fungi isolated from soursop leaf (Annona muricataL.).Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine.,10(6): 566-571.
8. Shakya AK.,2016.Medical plants: Future source of new drugs. International Journal of Herbal Medicine.,4(4):59-64.
9. Patel S, Patel JK.,2016.A review on a miracle fruits of Annona muricata. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.,5(1):137-148.
10. Patel S, Patel JK.,2016.A review on a miracle fruits of Annona muricata, Journal of Pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, 5(1):137-148.
11. Faruq SU, NajmuddinS,Romli MF, Hamid M, Alitheen NB and Afizan NM, Rahman NA., 2016. Anti-cancer effect of Annona Muricata Linn Leaves Crude Extract (AMCE) on breast cancer cell line. Journal Of BMC Complementary and alternative medicine. 16(311):1-20.
12. Syed Najmuddin SUF, Romli MF, Hamid M, Alithem NB and Rahman NMANA.,2016. Anticancer effect of Annona muricata Linn Leaves Crud Extract(AMCE) on Breast Cancer Cell line, Journal of BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine,16(311):2-20. BioMed.
13. Rosdi MNM, Najihah NN, Daud NM, Zulkifli RM, Yaakob H.,2015.Cytotoxic effect of Annona muricata Linn leaves extract on Capan 1 cells. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 5 (05):45-48.
14. Greenwell M, Rahman PKSM.,2015. Medicinal Plants: Their use in Anti-Cancer treatment. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research,6:4103-4112.
15. Moghadamtousi SZ, Rouhollahi E, Karimian, Fedaeinasab M, Firoozinia M, Abdulla MA et al.,2015. The chemopotential effect of Annona muricata leaves against azoxymethane-induced colonic aberrant crypt foci in rats and the apoptotic effect of acetoenin annomuricin E in HT-29 cell; A bioassay-guided approach PLoS ONE,10, doi:10.137 journal, pone. 0122288.
16. Joshi A, Chauhan RS.,2014. Anticancer effect of Taxus baccata and Indian Caw Urine distillate (CUD) on mice treated with Diethyl Nitrosamine – Pathomorphological study, International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research,5(2): 140-144.
17. Sayeed MA, Jesmin H, Sarker TC, Rahman MM and Alam MF.,2014. Antitumar activity of leaf extracts of catharanthus roseus (L) G.Don, Journal of plant environment development,3(2) :24-30.
18. Rasheed KN.,2014.Medicinal plants as a safe target for treatment of cancer, Journal of natural product chemistry research, 2(2):100-106.
19. Hansa DM, Silva O, Mehta A, Ahu E.,2014.Patient with metastatic breast cancer achieve stable disease for 5 years on graviola and xeloda after progressing on multiple lines of therapy, Journal of Advance breast cancer research,3:84-87.
20. Elisya Y,Kardono LB,Simanjuntak P.,2014.Tablet formulation of the ethyl acetate solute soluble extract of soursop Annona muricata (L.) leaves, Asian Journal of Applied Science,2: 323-329.
21. Florence NT,Benoit MZ, Jonas K, Alexandra T, Desire DDP, Pierre K.,2014.Antidiabetic and Antioxidant effects of Annona muricata (Annonaccae), aqueous extract on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, Journal of Ethnopharmacol,151:784-790.
22. Ahalya B,Shankar KR, Kiranmayi G.,2014.Exploretion of anti-hyperglycemic and hypolipidemic activities of ethanolic extract of Annona muricata bark in alloxan induced diabetic rats, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science & Research,25:21-27.
23. Singh P,Andola C, Harish, Rawat MSM, Joshi G, Zafer HS.,2013.Himalayan Plants as a source of Anti-Cancer Agents: A Review. The Natural Products Journal,3(4):296-308.
24. Kainsa S, Kumar P, Rani P.2012. Medical Plants of Asian origin having Anticancerpotential:Short Review, 2(10):01-07.
25. Ankit G, Madhu N, Vijay K.,2012.Modern Extraction method for preparation of bioactive plant extracts. International Journal of Applied Natural Science,1:8-26.
26. Priyadarshini K, KeerthiAparajitha U.,2012.Paclitaxol against Cancer:A short Review, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2:139-141.
27. Kainsa S,Kumar P, Rani P.,2012.Medicinal plants of Asian Origin having Anticancer Potential:Short Review. Asian Journal of Biomedical & Pharmaceutical Science,2(10):01-07.
28. Sakarkar DM, Deshmukh VN.,2011. Ethnopharmacological review of traditional medicinal plants for anticancer activity. International Journal of Pharmaceutical & Technical Research, 3:298-308.
29. BishtVK,Negi JS, Bhandari AK and Sundriyal RC.,2011. Anti-cancerous Plants of Uttarakhand Himalaya: A Review. International Journal of Cancer Research,7(3):192-208.
30. Patel PK, Patel KV and Gandhi TR.,2011.Evolution of effect of Taxus baccata Leaves extract on Branch constitution and Branchial Hyper reactivity in experimental Animal. Journal of Young Pharm.,3(1):41-47.
31. Dai J, Mumper RJ.,2010.Plant phenolics: extraction, analysis and their antioxidant and anticancer propertiesMolecules, 15:7313-7352.
32. Dutta S, Yadav A and Mariappan G.,2010. Analgesic Activity of Taxus Baccata Linn. Bark extract, International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences, 6(1):1-7.
33. Siddiqua MJ, Ismail Z, Aisha AFA, Abdul Majid AMS.,2010.Cytotoxic activity of Catharanthus Roseus (Apocynaceae) crude extracts and pure compounds against Human colorectal careinoma cell line, International Journal of pharmacology,6:43-47.
34. Devi KU.,2009. Current status of gynecological cancer care in India. Journal of Gynecological Oncology, 20:77-80.
35. Reddy KP, Bid HK, Nayak VL, Chaudhary P, Chaturvedi JP.,2009.In vitro and In vivo anticancer activity of 2-deacetoxytaxinine and synthesis of novel toxoids and their In vitro anticancer activity. European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 44(10):3947-3953.
36. Madhuri S and Panday G.,2009. Some anticancer medicinal plants of foreign origin. Journal of Current Science, 96:779-783.
37. Gouemo PN, Koudogho B, Tchivounda HP, Akono-Nguema C, Etoua MM.,2009. Effect of ethanol extract of Annona muricata on pentylenetetrazol-induced convulsive seizures in mice, Journal of Tradit. Complement Alternative Medicin, 6:62-69.
38. Adeyemi DO, Komo lafe OA.,2009.Adewole OS, Obuotor EM. Ad EM, Adenowo TK, Antihyperglycemic activities of Annona muricata (Linn), African Journal of Traditional Complement Alternative Medicine,6:62-69.
39. Adeyemi DO, Komolafe OA, Adewole SO, Obuotor EM.,2008.Antihyperlipidemic activities of Annona muricata (Linn),International Journal of Alternative Medicine ,7(16):156-159.
40. Misra S, Maikhuri RK, Kala CP, Rao KS and Saxena KG.,2008.Wild leafy vegetables: A study of their subsistence dietetic support to the inhabitants of Nanda Devi Biosphere Reserve India,Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicin, 4:15-23.
41. Adeymi DO, Komolafe OA, Adewole SO, Obuotor EM, Adenowo TK.,2008.Effect of Annona muricata (Linn) on the morphology of pancreatic islet cells of experimentally- induced diabetic rats, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 151:784-790.
42. Suhas S, RameshaBT,Ravikanth G, Gunaga RP, Vasudera R, Ganeshaism KN and Umashankar R.,2007.Chemical profiling of Nothapodytesnimmoniana population in the Western Ghats India for anticancer compound, camphothecin,Journal of Current Science, 92:1142-1147.
43. Shoeb M.,2006. Anticancer agents from medicinal plants. Bangladesh Journal of Pharmacology, 1:35-41.
44. Gurbuz I, Erdemoglu N, Yesilada E and Sener B.,2004.Antiulcerogenic lignans from Taxus baccata L. Z., Natur for sch., 59(1): 233-236.
45. Huang Y.,Fany Y., Win J., Dziadyk J.M., Zhu X., Sui M. and Fan W.,2004. Regulation of Vinca alkaloid – induced apoptosis by NF-Kb/IkB pathway in human tumor cells-molecule cancer Thearphy, 3:271-277.
46. Hojjat S.A., Seyed A.E., Morteza S., Abbas J.,2003.Cytotoxic effect of the extracts of Iranian Taxus baccata and Cupressusharizentalis on cancer cells. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research:107-110 .
47. Sasaki Y.F., Kawaguchi S., Kamaya M., Ohsita M. and Kabasawa K., 2002. The comet assay with 8 mouse organs: results with 39 currently used food additives. Mutat. Res. Gen. Toxicol. Envrion. Mutagenesis,519:103-119.
48. Raskin I., Ribnicky D.M., Komarnytsky S.,Iview N., Poulev A., Borisjuk N.,2002. Plants and human health in the twenty-first century. Journal of Trends Biochemical,20:522-531.
49. Huie C.W.,2002. A review of modern sample-preparation techniques for the extraction and analysis of medicinal plants. Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 373: 23-30.
50. Jennewein S,. Croteau R.,2001.Taxol: species as source of the anticancer drug Taxol, Journal of Applied Micro Biotechnology,57:33-39.
51. Rates S.M.K.,2001. Plants as source of drugs. Journal of Toxicon, 39:603-613.
52. Cheng A.L.,Hsu C.H.,Lin J.K.,Hsu M.M.,Ho Y.F. et al.,2001.Phase I clinical trail of curcumin, a chemopreventive agent, in patient with high -risk or pre-malignant lesions. Journal of Anticancer Research, 21:2895-2900.
53. Sumner J.,2000. The Natural History of Medicinal Plants, Timber Press 17. ISBN 0-88192-483-490.
54. Golenianski ME.,2000.Call line of Taxos species as source of the anticancer drug taxol, Journal of Biocell., 24(2): 139-144.
55. Rastogi R.P., Mehrotra B.N.,Vol.5.Lucknow,CDRI and New Delhi:NISCIR.,1998. Compendium of Indian Medicinal Plants; 703-704.
56. Block G.,1991.Epidemiological evidence regarding vitamin C and Cancer. American Journal of Clinical and Nutrition,32(6):13105-13145.
57. Block G.,1991.Vitamin C and Cancer prevention: the epidemiological evidence. American Journal of Clinical and Nutrition, 53(1):2705-2825.
58. Noble R.L.,1990.The discovery of the vinica alkaloids-chemotherapeutic agents against cancer. Journal of Biochem Cell Biology, 68:1344-1351.
59. Krishnamurthi A.K., Manjunath B.L., Sastri B.N., Deshaprabhu S.B., Chadha Y.R.,Vol.7. New Delhi: CSIR.,1969.The Wealth of India: Raw Materials:295-298.
60. Noble R.L., Beer C.T. and Cutts J.H.,1958.Role of chance observation in chemotherapy: Vinca rosea, Journal of Animal N.Y. Academy of Science, 16:882.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.