Review Article of International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
Integrative and Complementary Practices: the Therapeutic Benefits of Aromatherapy and Chromotherapy
Rubens Barbosa Rezende1 *, Larissa Teodoro2
1Santa Rita Faculty (FASAR), Conselheiro Lafaiete; 2 Institute of Health Sciences of University Paulista (UNIP), Campinas, SP.
Objective: To understand the availability and use of integrative and complementary practices by the SUS; as well as to evaluate two of the various therapy options, chromotherapy and aromatherapy, in relation to their effectiveness and benefits for patients.
Method: This is an integrative review of the literature available in the PUBMED and SciELO database, using the descriptors: “Aromatherapy”, “Chromotherapy” and “Alternative Therapy”, duly registered in MeSH/DeCS, using the boolean operator AND. Twenty-nine articles were found, 25 evaluated and, at the end, 11 selected to compose this review. The inclusion criteria were: complete articles, available free of charge, published in English, from 2012 to 2020.
Results: The inclusion of integrative and complementary practices (ICPs) in the Sistema Único de Saúde (SUS) was through the Política Nacional de Práticas Integrativas e Complementares (PNPIC), supported through the Portaria GM/ MS no 971, on May 3, 2006. Brazil is the country characterized as a world reference in the field of ICPs in basic attention.
Conclusion: However, several cases of use of chromotherapy and aromatherapy as alternative therapies to promote patient’s health, relieve pain and, among other unique symptoms in each case, were evaluated, and the therapies used proved their efficacy and safety for patients, as well as improved the quality of life of these people.
Keywords: Alternative Therapy, Aromatherapy, Chromotherapy, Integrative and Complementary Practices.
How to cite this article:
Rubens Barbosa Rezende, Larissa Teodoro.Integrative and Complementary Practices: the Therapeutic Benefits of Aromatherapy and Chromotherapy. International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine 2021, 6:37. DOI: 10.28933/ijtcm-2021-07-2005
1. MINISTÉRIO DA SAÚDE. Práticas Integrativas e Complementares (PICS): quais são e para que servem. 2017. Disponível em: https://saude.gov.br/saude-de-a-z/praticas-integrativas-e-complementares Acesso em: 18 de agosto de 2020.
2. AZEEMI STY, RAFIQ HM, ISMAIL I, KAZMI SR, AZEEMI A. The mechanistic basis of chromotherapy: Current knowledge and future perspectives. Complement Ther Med. 2019;46:217-222. doi:10.1016/j.ctim.2019.08.025.
3. BRASIL. Ministério da Saúde. Secretaria de Atenção à Saúde. Departamento de Atenção Básica. Política nacional de práticas integrativas e complementares no SUS: atitude de ampliação de acesso. 2. ed. Brasília, 2015.
4. ROSS MJ, GUTHRIE P, DUMONT JC. The impact of modulated, colored light on the autonomic nervous system. Adv Mind Body Med. 2013;27(4):7-16.
5. YOSHIZUMI AM, ASIS DG, LUZ FA. Auricular Chromotherapy in the Treatment of Psychologic Trauma, Phobias, and Panic Disorder. Med Acupunct. 2018;30(3):151-154. doi:10.1089/acu.2018.1281.
6. PARAGAS ED JR, NG ATY, REYES DVL, REYES GAB. Effects of Chromotherapy on the Cognitive Ability of Older Adults: A Quasi-Experimental Study. Explore (NY). 2019;15(3):191-197. doi:10.1016/j.explore.2019.01.002.
7. FUNG JK, TSANG HW, CHUNG RC. A systematic review of the use of aromatherapy in treatment of behavioral problems in dementia. Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2012;12(3):372-382. doi:10.1111/j.1447-0594.2012.00849.x.
8. HODGE NS, MCCARTHY MS, PIERCE RM. A prospective randomized study of the effectiveness of aromatherapy for relief of postoperative nausea and vomiting. J Perianesth Nurs. 2014;29(1):5-11. doi:10.1016/j.jopan.2012.12.004.
9. WEAVER MS, ROBINSON J, WICHMAN C. Aromatherapy improves nausea, pain, and mood for patients receiving pediatric palliative care symptom-based consults: A pilot design trial. Palliat Support Care. 2020;18(2):158-163. doi:10.1017/S1478951519000555.
10. OLGA O, BALZANO C. Cromoterapia vol. I: Tratamento de crianças e gestantes. Volume 1 de Coleção Terapias Naturais. LeBooks Editora , 2014. ISBN 8583860025, 9788583860020. p. 75.
11. LEE MS, CHOI J, POSADZKI P, ERNST E. Aromatherapy for health care: An overview of systematic reviews. Maturitas [Internet]. 2012;71(3):257–60. Disponível em: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2011.12.018.
12. ALI B, AL-WABEL NA, Shams S, Ahamad A, Khan SA, Anwar F. Essential oils used in aromatherapy: A systemic review. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed [Internet]. 2015;5(8):601– 11.
13. SHARIFI-RAD J, SUREDA A, TENORE GC, DAGLIA M, SHARIFI-RAD M, VALUSSI M, et al. Biological activities of essential oils: From plant chemoecology to traditional healing systems [Internet]. Vol. 22, Molecules. 2017. Disponível em: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6155610/.
CC BY 4.0
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.