Research Article of International Research Journal of Public Health
Change of pain threshold in patients with muscle disorder subjected to conservative treatment
Gustavo Helder Vinholi
Federal University of Mato Grosso do Sul, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil
Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD) is a clinical syndrome that mainly affects the masticatory muscles and temporomandibular joints (TMJ). The manual palpation is the most used clinical method to evaluate the muscle pain and is considered an important part of the clinical examination. The pressure algometry is used to verify the initial threshold of myofascial pain perception in the temporomandibular disorder. The purpose of this research was to evaluate the pain threshold change in patients with muscle-type TMD before and after the conservative treatment. Twenty seven volunteers were screened according to the Research Diagnostic Criteria (RDC/TMD), and 14 had muscle TMD and 13 with absence of TMD (control group). Measurements were taken with the pressure algometer in every patient in temporal and masseter muscles in order to quantify the response to the patient painful stimulus. After the proposed treatment the patient was scheduled to return in 7,14, 28 and 56 days. Therefore, it resulted in 18 patients for the study. The algometer comparison between the groups treated before and after the care, showed an initial value (in KgF) of 0.827 ± 0.405 and final of 1.416 ± 0.745, p<0.001 (significant level of 5%). With this research, it can be concluded that patients with muscle-type TMD treated conservatively tolerate a greater load of pressure after the treatment.
Keywords:Temporomandibular joint disorders; pain; palpation
How to cite this article:
Gustavo Helder Vinholi.Change of pain threshold in patients with muscle disorder subjected to conservative treatment. International Research Journal of Public Health, 2019; 3:26.
1. Donarumma MDC, Muzilli CA, Ferreira C, et al.Disfunçõestemporomandibulares: Sinais, Sintomas e Abordagem multidisciplinar. Rev CEFAC. 2010,12(5): 788-794.
2. Okeson, JP, Leeuw R. Differentialdiagnosisoftemporomandibulardisordersandother orofacial paindisorders. DentClin North Am. 2011; 45(1): 105-20.
3. Sarlani, E. Diagnosisandtreatmentof orofacial pain. Braz J Oral Sci,2003,2(6): 283-90.
4. Wihelmsen SMS, Guimarães AS, Smith RL. Aspectos da duração da dor em pacientes atendidos em um ambulatório de disfunção temporomandibular. Rev. DOR. 2006; 7(3):819-26
5. Fischer A. Pressurealgometry over normal muscles. Standard values, validityandreproducibilityofpressurethreshold. Pain. 1987;30:115-26
6. Jensen R, Rasmussen BK, Pedersen B, LousI, Olesen J. Cephalicmuscletendernessandpressurepainthreshold in a general population. Pain. 1992;48: 197-203
7. Ylinen J, Nykänen M, Kautiainen H, Häkkinen A. Evaluationofrepeatabilityofpressurealgometryontheneckmuscles for clinical use. Manual Therapy. 2007; 12:192-7.
8. Koo TK, Guo J, Brown CM. Test-RetestReliability, repeatability, andsensitivityof na automateddeformation-controlledindentationonpressurepainthresholdmeasurement. JournalofManipulativeandPhysiologicalTherapeutics. 2013; 36(2). 84-90
9. Carlsson GE, Magnusson T, Guimarães AS. Tratamento das disfunções temporomandibulares na clínica odontológica. São Paulo. Ed Quintessence; 2006.p. 87-120.
10. Magnusson T. O controle das desordens temporomandibulares. In: GUIMARÃES A S. Dor Orofacial entre Amigos. São Paulo:Quintessence Editora;2012. p 241-74.
12. De Freitas RFC, Ferreira MAF, Barbosa GAS, Calderon OS. Counsellingand self-management therapies for temporomandibulardisorders: a systematicreview. J Oral Rehabil. 2013; 40:864-74.
13. Junior FGPA; Mendes CR; Guimarães MR. Avaliação longitudinal de pacientes com disfunções temporomandibulares tratados com placas oclusais, aconselhamento e farmacoterapia. Robrac.2006; 15(40).
14. Conti PCR, Alencar EM, Mota Corrêa AS, Lauris JRP, Porporatti AL, Costa YM. Behaviouralchangesandocclusalsplints are effective in the management ofmasticatorymyofascialpain: a short-termevaluation. J Oral Rehabil. 2012;39:754-60.
15. Arima T, Takeuchi T, Tomonaga A, Yachida W, Ohata N, Svensson P. Choiceofbiomaterials – Do soft occlusalsplintsinfluencejaw-muscleactivityduringsleep? A preliminary report. AppliedSurface Science. 2012; 262: 159-62.
16. Gomes MB, Guimarães FC, Guimarães SMR, Claro-Neves AC. Limiar de dor à pressão em pacientes com cefaléia tensional e disfunção temporomandibular. CiencOdontol Bras. 2006;9(4):84-91
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.