Review Article of American Journal of Microbiology and Immunology
Heamatologic Indices and Anti-Spermatogenic Effects of Dietary Supplemented Carica papaya seeds on Wister Rats
Ibeh Nnanna Isaiah1 ( BMLS, AMLSCN, MGHT), Unuabonah Uyi Ibhoje2 ( BSC,MSc)
*1University of Benin Health Services Department, University of Benin PMB 1154
2University of Ibadan, Faculty of Life Science, Department of Microbiology
The continuous usage of indegienious plants as an intervention tool for diseases that affect both humans and animals is as old as orthodox medicine in its self in this study we evaluated the overall effect of carica papaya seeds extract on wister rats to determine its heamatoligic stimulatory effect and the anti-spermatic effect. A total of eighty rats where orally administered the various doses of the extract over a period of time and the heamatoligic and spermatologic parameters where analyzed. From the results obtained there was a slight stimulatory effects as the total white blood cell increased according to the varying doses of 100mg and 200mg respectively (6.56±0.38 and 6.96±0.10) with mean packed cell volume of 38.0±0.84 and 37.4±1.03 also noticeable is the slight rise in the Lymphocytes from the control group to the varying doses of exposure 70±2.06 and 68.6±1.12, the total Sperm cell count across the varying doses where 11.6×106 +0.5cells/mm3 and 11.3×106 +0.5cells/mm3 respectively. The above showed a a little marked increase the heamatologic parameters there was a slight increase in the lymphocyte although there was a marked decrease of sperm cell count from the control down the doses of exposure.
Keywords: Heamatologic, Anti-spermatogenic, Lymphocyte, White blood cell
How to cite this article:
Ibeh Nnanna Isaiah, Unuabonah Uyi Ibhoje. Heamatologic Indices and Anti-Spermatogenic Effects of Dietary Supplemented Carica papaya seeds on Wister Rats. American Journal of Microbiology and Immunology, 2016,1:7. DOI: 10.28933/isaiah-and-ibhoje-ajmi-082016
1. Aitken RJ, Best FSM, W arner P, Templeton A (1984). A prospective study of the relationship between semen quality and fertility in the case of unexplained infertility. J. Androl. 5: 297-303.
2. Ansari AS, Kumar Y, Srivastava S, Lohiya NK (1998). Long-term sequelae of tolnidamine on male reproduction and general body metabolism in rabbits. Contraception 57: 271-279.
3. Bone W , Jones NG, Kamp G, Yeung CH, Cooper TG (2000). Effect of ornidazole on fertility of male rats, inhibition of glycolysis-related motility pattern and zona binding required for fertilization in vitro. J. Reprod. Fertil. 118: 127 -131.
4. Chaturvedi M, Mali PC, Ansari AS (2003). Induction of reversible antifertility with a crude ethanol extract of Citrullus colocynthis schrad fruit in male rats. Pharmacol. 68(1): 38 – 48.
5. Chauhan A, Agarwal M, Kushwaha S, Mutreja A (2007). Suppression of fertility in male albino rats following the administration of 50% ethanolic extract of Aegle marmelos. Contraception 76: 474 – 481.
6. Faisal R, Parveen S, Rajendran R, Girija R, Penasamy VS, Kaldalmani B, Puratchikody A, Ruckmani K, Pereira BMJ Akbarsha MA (2006). Male reproductive toxic effect of Quassia amara: observations on mouse sperm. J. Endocrinol. Reprod. 10(1): 66 – 69.
7. Hafez B, Hafez ESE (2000). Reproduction in Farm Animals, 7th Edition, Lippincott W illiams and W ilkins, pp. 3 – 95.
8. Hinton BT, Howards SS (1981). Permeability characteristics of the epithelium in the rat caput epididymis. J. Reprod. 63:95-99.
9. Kalla NR, Vasudeva M (1981). Studies on the male antifertility agent,gossypol acetic acid on the motility and ATPase activity of human spermatozoa. Androl. 13: 95 – 98.
10. Leigh OO, Fayemi OE (2008). Effects of crude aqueous extract of Ocimum gratissimum leaves on testicular histology and spermiogram in the male albino rat (W istar strain). Vet. Res. 2(3 -4): 42 – 46.
11. Lohiya NK, Goyal RB, Jayaprakash D, Ansari AS, Sharma S (1994). Antifertility effects of aqueous extract of Carica papaya seeds in male rats. Planta Med. 60: 400 – 404.
12. Mann A, Amupitan JO, Oyewale AO, Okogun JI, Ibrahim K, Oladosu P, Lawson L, Olajide J, Nnamdi, A. (2008). Evaluation of in vitro antimycobacterial activity of Nigerian plants used for treatment of respiratory diseases. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 7(11): 1630 -1636.
13. Miller LG (1998). Herbal medicines: selected clinical considerations focusing on known or potential drug-herb interactions. Arch. Int. Med.158: 2200 – 2211.
14. Minsker DH, Bagdon W J, Robertson RT, Bokelman DL (1984). Two inhibitors of angiotensin-converting enzyme, enalapril and captopril, increase salt appetite of rats. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 14: 122 –
15. Ogbonnia SO, Nkemehule FE, Anyika EN (2009). Evaluation of acute and subchronic toxicity of Stachytarpheta angustifolia extract in animals. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 8(9): 1793 – 1799.
16. Oyeyemi MO, Oluwatoyin O, Leigh OO, Adesiji T, Fisayo A (2008). The spermiogram of male W istar rats treated with aqueous leaf extract of Vernonia amygdalina. Folia Vet. 52(2): 98 – 101.
17. Pankajakshy A, Madambath I (2009). Spermatotoxic effects of Cananga odorata (Lam): a comparison with gossypol. Fertil. Steril. 91(5): 2243-2246.
18. Raji Y, Salman TM, Akinsomisoye OS (2005). Reproductive function in male rats treated with methanolic extract of Alstonia boonei stem bark. Afr. J. Biomed. Res. 8(2): 105 – 111.
19. Saba AS, Oridupa OA, Oyeyemi MO, Osanyigbe OD (2009). Spermatozoa morphology and characteristics of male W istar rats administered with ethanolic extract of Lagenaria breviflora. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 8(7): 1170 – 1175.
20. Sandhyakumary K, Bobby RG, Indira M (2003). Antifertility effects of Ricinus communis (Linn) on rats. Phytother Res. 17: 508 – 511.
21. Tona L, Kambu K, Masia K, Cimanga R, Aspers S, Rebruyne T, Piatens L, Totten J (1999). Biological screening of traditional preparations from some medicinal plants used as antidiarrhoeal in Kinshasha, Congo. Phytomed. 6(1): 59 -66
22. Uchendu CN, Kamalu TN, Asuzu IU (2000). A preliminary evaluation of antifertility activity of a triterpenoid glycoside from Dalbergia saxatilis in female W istar rats. Pharm. Res. 41(5): 521 -525.
23. Udoh P, Essien T, Udoh F (2005). Effects of Carica papaya (raw pawpaw) seeds extract on the morphology of pituitary- gonadal axis of male W istar rats. Phytother. Res. 19: 1065 – 1068.
24. Ukwe CV (2004). Evaluation of the anti-ulcer activity of aqueous stem bark extract of Hymenocardia acida. Nig. J. Pharm. Res. 3(1): 86 -89.
25. Verma RJ, Chinoy NJ (2001). Effect of papaya seed extract on microenvironment of cauda epididymis. Asian J.Androl. 3: 143 – 146. Zemjanis R (1977).
26. Collection and evaluation of semen. In: Diagnostic and Therapeutic techniques in Animal Reproduction. W illiamsand Wilkins Company, Baltimore, U.S.A. p. 242.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.