Review Article of Open Journal of Language and Linguistics
Analysis to the Violation of Cooperative Principles in Daily Conversation and the Production of Humor
Shanxi normal university
Humor is the flash of one’s knowledge, talent, wisdom, and inspiration in language expression as well as the ability to grasp “funny or witty imagination.”.Humorous language, like a lubricant, can effectively reduce the “coefficient of friction” between people. The principle of Cooperation was put forward by Grice, a famous American language philosopher, in a speech at Harvard University in 1967. Grice believes that in the process of people’s communication, the two sides of the dialogue seem to follow a certain principle intentionally or unintentionally in order to complete the communicative task effectively. To make the communication activities go smoothly, the communicative parties always follow the cooperative principle in the process of language communication; But sometimes, in order to achieve some kind of communicative purpose, people usually break the cooperative principles and then complete the conversation in a humorous way. This paper will analyze how daily conversation can achieve humor by violating the cooperative principle. Furthermore, it is proved that the violation of the four maxims has a strong explanatory power to the emergence of humorous language.
Keywords: Cooperative principle; Humorous; Conversation
How to cite this article:
Mengyuan Bi. Analysis to the Violation of Cooperative Principles in Daily Conversation and the Production of Humor. Open Journal of Language and Linguistics, 2019, 2:5. DOI: 10.28933/ojll-2019-05-2006
1. Paul, Grice (1975).”Logic and Conversation”. In Syntax and Semantics, 3: Speech Acts, ed. P. Cole & J. Morgan. New York: Academic Press.
2. dong li. Collection of English humor: english-chinese [M]. Beijing: foreign language teaching and research press.1992.
3. fang chuanyu; [D]. Shanghai international studies university.2007.
4. jing hui. Violation of conversational cooperation principle and generation of discourse humor [D]. School of foreign languages, guilin university of technology.2011.
5. liu fuchang. The generation of English humor from the perspective of “cooperative principle” [J]. Modern foreign language, 1987.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.