Research Article of Open Journal of Language and Linguistics
A Study on the Relationship between English Language Learning Anxiety and English Language Achievement
Yoseph Zewdu1, Sualih Mussa1, Abeba Temesgen2
1Debre Markos University; 2Damot General Secondary School
The main objective of this study was to examine the relationship between students’ English language learning anxiety and their English language achievement. For this purpose, 197 grade ten students were involved. The students were selected using proportional sampling technique. The instruments used to collect data were questionnaire and achievement. Then, the collected data were analyzed using quantitative methods of data analysis. The study revealed that there was statistically significant negative relationship between students’ English foreign language learning anxiety and their English achievement test result with a correlation coefficient of (r=-.194, p=>0.05). In addition, the participants of the study were found to anxious because of fear of negative evaluation, communication apprehension and test related anxieties. .The study also indicated that female students mean score was less than the mean score of male students when their anxiety levels were measured. But the independent sample t-test indicated that there is no statistically significant difference between male students and female students in their learning anxiety in EFL classrooms. However, a significant mean difference between male and female students was observed on test anxiety with (P<0.05). Therefore, this result is consistent with the findings of Tang (2005). Finally, the researchers recommended that EFL teachers should provide advice for the learners to avoid anxiety in their English language class.
Keywords: anxiety, English foreign language, achievement result, gender, anxiety level
How to cite this article:
Yoseph Zewdu, Sualih Mussa, Abeba Temesgen.A Study on the Relationship between English Language Learning Anxiety and English Language Achievement.Open Journal of Language and Linguistics, 2021, 4:13.
1. Abate Kassahun. (1996). ‘English Language Classroom Anxiety, Performance on Classroom Tasks and Tests: A study of Some Ethiopian Civil Service College 1st year Students’. Addis Ababa: AAU (MA Thesis, unpublished).
2. Aida, Y. (1994). ‘Examination of Horwitz, Horwitz and Cope’s Construct of Foreign Language Anxiety: The Case of Students of Japanese’. Modern Language Journal. 72(2): 155-168.
3. Batumlu, D. z., and Erden, M (2007). ‘The Relationship Between Foreign Language Anxiety and English Achievement of Yildiz Technical University School of Foreign Languages Preparatory Students’. Journal of Theory and Practice in Education. 3(1): 24-38).
4. Cubuku.F. (2007).‘Foreign Language Anxiety’.Iranian Journal of Language Studies, Vol 1(2) pp 133-142.http://ijols.znu.ac/volumes 1 issue 2/cubuku a.pdf.
5. Gardner, R.C. (1985). ‘The Socio-Educational Model of Second Language Learning: Assumptions. Findings and Issues’. Language Learning, 38(1): 101-126.
6. Gardner, R.C. (1988). Social Psychology and Second Language Learning: The Role of Attitudes and Motivation. London: Edward Arnold Publishers Ltd.
7. Gardner, R.C. and Macontyre P.D (1993). ‘A Student Contributions to second Language Learning. Part II: Affective Variables’. Language Teaching, 26.1-11.
8. Hedge, T. (2000). Teaching and Learning in the Language Classroom. Oxford: OUP.
9. Horwitz, E.K, Horwitz, M.B, and Cope, J. (1986) ‘Foreign Language Classroom Anxiety’. Modern Language Journal, 70(2), 125-132.
10. Horwitz, E.K. (1986).Preliminary Evidence for the Reliability and Validity of a Foreign Language Anxiety Scale’.TESOL Quarterly 20(3): 559-562.
11. Hortwiz, EK. (1988). ‘The Beliefs about Language Learning of Beginning University Students’.The Modern Language Journal, 72(3): 283-294.
12. Kothari, C.R. (2004) Research Methodology: Methods and Techniques. 2nd Edition, New Age International Publishers, New Delhi.
13. Macintyre, P.D., and Gardner, R.C. (1994). ‘The Subtle effects of Language Anxiety on Cognitive Processing in the Second Language’. Language Learning, 44(2): 285-305.
14. Macintyre, P.D. and Gardner R.C. (1991). ‘Methods and Results in the Study of Anxiety and Language Learning: A Review of Literature’. Language Learning, 41, 85-117.
15. Melesse M. (2007) ‘An Assessment of English Language Writing Test Anxiety: The case of Two Private University College Students Taking Sophomore English Writing Course’. Addis Ababa: AAU. (MA Thesis unpublished).
16. Wu, Guo-Cheng and Chan, D. Y. Ching (2004).‘A Study of Foreign Language Anxiety of EFL Elementary School Students in Taipei Country’. Journal of National Taipei Teachers College, Vol. 17(2): (287-320/ e-learning.ntue.edu.tw/public/journal/vol. 17-2/A-12-128.doc. (accessed on 14/11/2007).
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.