Research Article of Research Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science
An Analysis of Cybercrime Awareness Amongst First Year Students in Nigerian Private University
Balogun O*, Hinmikaiye J, Adegbenle A.A, Oyebode A.A, Akinshola J, Nzenwata U.J
Department of Computer Science, Babcock University, Nigeria
The prevalence of Cybercrime the World over threatens to destroy the very fabric of peace. From financial fraud to theft identity, the ways in which this act continue to evolve and penetrate the most secure of digital entities calls for worry.
A more disturbing trend is the perception of Nigerians being the purveyor of such acts. This study therefore seeks to find out what young Nigerians actually know about cybercrimes in order to gain an insight into what actually drives it and if possible, to discourage such acts from a tender age.
Results show the perception of the World is not unfounded and recommendations that may go a long way in making this venture unattractive is highlighted.
Keywords: Cybercrime Awareness, First Year Students, Nigerian Private University
How to cite this article:
Balogun O, Hinmikaiye J, Adegbenle A.A, Oyebode A.A, Akinshola J, Nzenwata U.J.An Analysis of Cybercrime Awareness Amongst First Year Students in Nigerian Private University. Research Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science, 2019; 3:15
1. English Oxford Living Dictionaries. (2019, March 8). Crime. Retrieved from Lexico: https://en.oxforddictionaries. com/definition/crime
2. Ismail, N. (2018, April 24). Global cybercrime economy generates over $1.5TN, according to new study. Retrieved from Information Age: https://www.information-age. com/global-cybercrime-economy-generates-over-1-5tn-according-to-new-study-123471631/
3. I., A. A., Haruna, C., Muazc, S. A., & Ila, L. B. (2015). A Review of the Advances in Cyber Security Benchmark Datasets for evaluating Data-Driven based Intrusion Detection Systems .Procedia Computer Science, 62, 221-227. doi:10.1016/ j.procs.2015.08.443
4. Solaka, D., & Topaloglua, M. (2015). The Perception Analysis of Cyber Crimes In View of Computer. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 182, 590 – 595. doi:10.1016/ j.sbspro.2015.04.787
5. Abdul-Rasheed, S. L., Lateef, I., & Yinusa, M. A. (2016, August). Cybercrime and Nigeria’s External Image:. Africology: The Journal of Pan African Studies, 9(6), 119-132. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/lenovo/Downloads/CYBERCRIMEANDNIGERIASEXTERNALIMAGE.pdf
6. Deitel, P. D. (2015). JavaTM How to Program (10th ed.). Boston: Pearson. Retrieved June 12, 2019
7. worldometers. (2017). Nigeria Population (LIVE). Retrieved March 9, 2019, from http://www.worldometers. info/world-population/nigeria-population/
8. Levi, M. (2016, October 11). Assessing the trends, scale and nature of economic cybercrimes: overview and Issues. Crime, Law and Social Change, 67(1), 3-20. doi:10.1007/s10611-016-9645-3
9. Rasmi, M., & Jantan, A. (2013). A New Algorithm to Estimate the Similarity between the Intentions. Procedia Technology, 11(47), 540 – 547. doi: 10.1016/j.protcy.2013.12.226