Research Article of Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacy
Analysis and Impact of Evidence Based Medicine in the Process of Education and Decision Making in Medical Practice
1Lana Lekic, 2Alen Lekić, 3Ervin Alibegović,4Jasna Rahimić,5Amrain Maša
1mr.ph. spec, PhD, Faculty of Health Studies, University of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina; 2MD spec, MSc, Sanofi d.o.o., Sarajevo, BiH; 3MD, PhD, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tuzla, BiH; 4mr.ph., Mixed middle school of Chemistry, Tuzla, BiH; 5mr.ph. spec, Boehringer Ingelheim d.o.o., Sarajevo, BiH
Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) is one of the modern systems of collecting, recording and using information and data related to medicine. The research was conducted in 2018 in several health institutions (health centers and hospitals) in Sarajevo Canton. The sample was made up of family doctors and other clinical specialties. The research results suggest the doctors in BiH are familiar with the concept of Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) and in their everyday work they apply relevant contemporary knowledge, national and international guidelines for the treatment and disease therapy. The most significant obstacle to more efficient management of medical information and the implementation of EBM in practice is the perception it would require additional time and incur significant cash expenditures to the doctors. In the future, doctors will increasingly be demanded to use advanced tools and modern techniques supporting them to make the most effective treatments on the basis of their own experience.
Keywords: EBM – Evidence Based Medicine, EBM application in medical practice, EBM in medical institution in Sarajevo Canton
How to cite this article:
Lana Lekic, Alen Lekić, Ervin Alibegović, Jasna Rahimić,5Amrain Maša. Analysis and Impact of Evidence Based Medicine in the Process of Education and Decision Making in Medical Practice. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, 2019, 3:6. DOI: 10.28933/rjpp-2019-07-1406
1. Straus SE, Scott Richardson W, Glasziou P, Brian Haynes R (2005). Evidence-based Medicine: How to practice and teach EBM. 3.izd. Elsevier.
2. Guyatt G (1991). Evidence-Based Medicine. ACP J Club A-16:114.
3. Sitaras M. N. (2012). Evidence based medicine – closer to patients or scientists?. InTech, Croatia.
4. Walker A, Grimshaw J, Johnston M, Pitts N, Steen N, Eccles M (2003). PRIME Process modelling in ImpleMEntation research: selecting a theoretical basis for interventions to change clinical practice. BMC Health Serv Res 3:1–12. Dostupno na: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1472-6963-3-22.pdf. Pristupljeno 25.9.2013. g.
5. Beaven O. (2008). Evidence-based healtcare – is it having an impact on clinical practice and patient care? U: 11th European Conference of Medical and Health Libraries. Helsinki: European Conference of Medical and Health Libraries; 2008. Dostupno na: http://www.eahil.net/conferences/ta. Pristupljeno 25.09. 2013. g.
6. Van Dijk N, Hooft L, Wieringa-de Waard M (2010). What Are the Barriers to Residents’ Practicing Evidence-Based Medicine? A Systematic Review. Acad Med. 85:1163–1170.
7. Ely JW, Osheroff JA, Ebell MH, et al (2002). Obstacles to answering doctors’ questions about patient care with evidence: Qualitative study. BMJ 324:710.
8. Grol R, Grimshaw J (2003). From best evidence to best practice: Effective implementation of change in patients’ care. Lancet 362: 1225–1230.
9. Freeman AC, Sweeney K (2001). Why general practitioners do not implement evidence: Qualitative study. BMJ 323:1100 –1102
10. Schaafsma F, Hulshof C, van Dijk F, Verbeek J (2004). Information demands of occupational health physicians and their attitude towards evidence-based medicine. Scand J Work Environ Health 30:327–330.
11. Grol R, Grimshaw J (2003). From best evidence to best practice: Effective implementation of change in patients’ care. Lancet 362: 1225–1230.
12. Lekić A. (2017). Menadžment medicinskih informacija u praksi medicinskog odlučivanja ljekara u bih kroz medicinu zasnovanu na dokazima (EBM) – korištenje, stavovi i prepreke za implementaciju. Univerzitet u Sarajevu Medicinski fakultet.