Research Article of International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
Remediation for oligospermia in males using the extract of traditional herbs Withania somnifera and Emila sanchifolia
Elizabeth Mathew K a, G.Athinarayanan b, C.Padmalatha. c, and A J A Ranjitsingh d
a.Fertility Clinic Mallapuram Kerala, b-Department of Microbiology .SRNY College, Tenkasi, c-Dept.of Animal sciences, MS University,dDept of Biotechnology Prathyusha Engineering College, Chennai
Due to life style changes, climatic changes, occupational problems and Food, air and water pollutants, the present generation of human beings are affected much of the different health issues, sterile marriage is a matter of great concern. The infertility rate is increasing at an alarming rate. In the infertility marriage, the male factor is more responsible for sterility. To improve male semen quality traditional plant remedy were tried for 3 treatment duration of each 40 days. Aqueous extracts of two medicinal plants Withania somnifera and Emila sanchifolia were given to chronic cases of infertile males with oligospermia. The results obtained for the plant extract treated and untreated groups showed a remarkable difference in the semen parameters .In the plant drug treated males, the total sperm count, motility, pH, and non -deformed sperms are above the optimum levels prescribed for normal fertility .The present study clearly indicates that the mixture of plant extracts exerted a good improvement in semen characteristics.
Keywords: Withania somnifera ; Emila sanchifolia; infertility;semen quality; oligospermia.
How to cite this article:
Elizabeth MathewK,G. Athinarayanan, C.Padmalatha., A J A Ranjitsingh d.Remediation for oligospermia in males using the extract of traditional herbs Withania somnifera and Emila sanchifolia. International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine 2020, 5:28.
1. Ambiye VR, Langade D, Dongre S, Aptikar P, Kulkarni M, et al. (2013) Clinical Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of the Root Extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in Oligospermic Males: A Pilot Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013: 571420.
2. Ahmad MK, Mahdi AA, Shukla KK, Islam N, Rajender S, et al. (2010) Withania somnifera improves semen quality by regulating reproductive hormone levels and oxidative stress in seminal plasma of infertile males. FertilSteril94: 989–996.
3. Biswas T. K., S. Pandit, S. Mondal et al., 2010. Clinical evaluationof spermatogenic activity of processed Shilajit in oligospermia, Andrologia, 42,(1 48–56,
4. Chauhan NS, Sharma V, Dixit VK, Thakur M (2014) A review on plants used for improvement of sexual performance and virility. Biomed Res Int 2014: 868062
5. Cooper T.G., E.Noonan, S.von Eckardstein etal. 2009. World Health Organization reference values for human semen characteristics. Human Reproduction Update, .16,(.3), .231–245,
6. Dutta Sulagna , Pallav Sengupta ( 2018a) Medicinal herbs in the management of male infertility . J Pregnancy Reprod 2(1): 1-6 10.15761/JPR.1000128 Volume
7. Jo Junyoung U.M. Jerng (2016) The effects of traditional Korean medicine in infertile male patients with poor semen quality: A retrospective study . European Journal of Integrative Medicine 8 :36–40
8. Low W, Tan H (2007) Asian traditional medicine for erectile dysfunction. The J Men’s Health Gend4:245–250
9. Malviya N, Jain S, Gupta VB, Vyas S (2011) Recent studies on aphrodisiac herbs for the management of male sexual dysfunction–a review. Acta Pol Pharm 68: 3-8.
10. Mahdi AA, Shukla KK, Ahmad MK,Rajender S, Shankhwar SN, et al. (2009) Withaniasomnifera improves semen quality in stress-related male fertility. Evid-Based Complement Alternat Med2011: 576962.
11. Misra DS, Maiti RK, Bera S, Das K, Ghosh D (2005) Protective effect of composite extract of Withaniasomnifera, Ocimum sanctum and Zingiberofficinale on swimming-induced reproductive Endocrine dysfunctions in male rat. Iranian J PharmacolTherap4: 110–117.
12. Mishra et al.(2018) Decline in seminal quality in Indian men over the last 37 years Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 16:103 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12958-018-0425-z
13. Mukhopadhyay Dyutiman , Alex C. Varghese, et al., (2010) Semen quality and age-specific changes: a study between two decades on 3,729 male partners of couples with normal sperm count and attending an andrology laboratory for infertility-related problems in an Indian city. Fertility and Sterility 93, No. (7),1 .
14. Oborna I Wojewodka G, De Sanctis JB, Fingerova H, Svobodova M, Brezinova J, Hajduch M, Novotny J, Radova L, Radzioch D 2010. Increased lipid peroxidation and abnormal fatty acid profiles in seminal and blood plasma of normozoospermic males from infertile couples. Hum Reprod. 25(2):308-16. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dep416. .
15. Punab M , O. Poolamets, P. Paju et al., ( 2017 ) Causes of male infertility: A 9-year prospective monocentre study on 1737 patientswith reduced total sperm counts,”Human Reproduction, 32,( 1) 18–31 .
16. Sengupta P, Borges E Jr, Dutta S, Krajewska-Kulak E (2018a) Decline in sperm count in European men during the past 50 years. Hum ExpToxicol 37: 247-255
17. Sengupta P, Agarwal A, Pogrebetskaya M, Roychoudhury S, Durairajanayagam D, et al. (2018b) Role of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) in the management of male infertility. Reprod Biomed Online 36: 311-326.
18. Shao Hu Zhou, Yu Fei Deng, Zhi Wei Weng Hao Wei Weng, and Zhi Dan Li 2019 Traditional Chinese Medicine as a Remedy for Male Infertility: A Review World J Mens Health 37(2): 175-185 https://doi.org/10.5534/wjmh.180069
19. Syed Ammar Hussain , Ahsan Hameed ,Furqan Nasir, Yang Wu Hafi, Ansar Rasul Suleria and Yuanda Son 2018, Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of Poly herbal Formulation in Oligospermic Males BioMed Research International Article ID 2070895,10 paghttps://doi.org/1C.Haslett,E.R.Chilvers,N.A.Boon,andN.A.Colledge,
20. Yao D.F. J.N.Mills,“Male infertility :Lifestyle factors and holistic, complementary, and alternative therapies,”Asian Journal of Andrology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 410–418, Life style factors and holistic, complementary, and alternative therapies,”