NURSING PERFORMANCE IN PREVENTING POST-DELIVERY DEPRESSION
Luana Alves de Freitas¹ *, João Lourenço dos Santos Neto¹, Bruna Kajeline Assis Gomes¹, Rosângela Silva de Lima¹, Gilvânia Silva Vilela, Givânya Bezerra de Melo¹.
¹Centro Universitário Tiradentes – UNIT
Introduction: Becoming a mother entails significant physical and emotional changes that intensify throughout pregnancy and the puerperal period período. The pregnancy-puerperal period may favor or intensify the occurrence of psychological distress in women and even more severe conditions, such as postpartum depression (PPD). In developed countries, PPD affects 10 % to 15 % of women; In Brazil, the prevalence of postpartum depression ranged from 5 % to 9 % in 2016. Objective: To identify how nurses act in the prevention of postpartum depression.
Methodology: Integrative literature review study with partial data from the study “Nursing care in the prevention and care of women with postpartum depression”. We searched the MEDLINE, LILACS, BDENF databases using the combination of descriptors: “Nursing”, “Nursing Care”, “Women’s Health”, “Prenatal Care”, “Postpartum Depression”, “Period Post childbirth”. From the 845 articles found, ten articles were selected to compose the final study sample, all primary studies published between 2008 and 2018 and answering the guiding question of the research: how the nurse acts in the prevention of postpartum depression.
Results: The puerperium is considered a period of risk for physiological and psychological changes, so it is essential to have qualified nursing care based on prevention of complications, physical and emotional comfort and health education, encouraging women in coping and adaptation in the transition to maternity. The initial approach to the mother in psychic distress usually occurs in primary care; Thus, it is essential that nurses have the competence to identify signs of psychological distress and can plan and implement a care plan for the identified needs. In prenatal nursing consultations, it is important to have a closer relationship based on respect and ethics. When conducting health education groups and actions, nurses favor a space for sharing fears, anxieties and experiences, providing the clarification of doubts and the exchange of experiences between future mothers. Nurses should provide guidance, provide emotional support to women and their families during the period of preconception and pregnancy-puerperal.
Conclusions/ Considerations: The nurse can prevent PPD by early identifying more vulnerable women even in preconception. Nursing consultations, conducting group approaches mainly in primary care and home visits directed at women and their families are fundamental for early identification and implementation of interventions
Keywords: Nursing Care. Depression. Postpartum period. Women’s health. Complications in pregnancy.
How to cite this article:
Luana Alves de Freitas, João Lourenço dos Santos Neto, Bruna Kajeline Assis Gomes, Rosângela Silva de Lima, Gilvânia Silva Vilela, Givânya Bezerra de Melo. NURSING PERFORMANCE IN PREVENTING POST-DELIVERY DEPRESSION.International Research Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2020, 3:23. DOI: 10.28933/irjog-2020-01-2207
1. Menezes, Francislene Lopes et al. Depressão puerperal, no âmbito da saúde Pública. Saúde (Santa Maria). 2012. 38, 1, 21-30. Disponivel em: https://periodicos.ufsm.br/index.php/revistasaude/article/view/3822.
2. Ministério da Saúde (BR), Secretaria de Atenção à Saúde. Atenção ao pré-natal de baixo risco Brasília: Ministério da Saúde; 2012.
3. Gomes, Bruna Kajeline Assis et al. Assistência de enfermagem na prevenção e atenção à mulher com depressão pós-parto. Ciências Biológicas e de Saúde Unit Alagoas. 2019. 5 (2): 121-136.
4. Strapasson Márcia Rejane, Nedel Maria Noemia Birck. Puerpério imediato: desviar o significado da maternidade. Rev. Gaúcha Enferm. (Online) [Internet]. Sep 2010 [cited 2019
5. Sep 27]; 31 (3): 521-528. Disponível em: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1983-14472010000300016&lng=en. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1983-14472010000300016.
6. Nascimento Cassiano, A., de Holanda, C. S. M., de Souza Costa, R. K., de Morais, F. R. R., & do Oliveira Maranhão, T. M. Assistência de enfermagem à mulher no puerpério imediato: um ensaio descritivo. Revista de Pesquisa Cuidado é Fundamental Online. 2015. 7(1): 2061-2071.
7. Oliveira, A. S. S. D., Rodrigues, D. P., & Guedes, M. V. C. Percepção de puérperas acerca do cuidado de enfermagem durante o trabalho de parto e parto. Rev. enferm. UERJ. 2011. 19 (2): 249-254.
This work and its PDF file(s) are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.